Liverpool (a) post-match thread

Individually, you could make a case that the referee got any of the decisions right today. They were all the sort of 50/50 decisions that sometimes go for you and sometimes go against you. But when all of them go one way, you've got to question things.

Anyway, as for the football, frankly we lost because we weren't good enough in both areas. Our defending was abysmal at times, whereas Liverpool are now a really organised, solid unit. And our finishing and decision making around their box was nowhere near good enough. Pep's strategy of always playing the same way is what's made us as successful as we are, but it's clear that in some big games, our inability to adjust has cost us (he actually did it at Anfield last year and we ended up one kick away from winning the game). Obviously it doesn't help when the two players you don't have a world class replacement for is injured.

As for Liverpool, well they didn't look amazing, but then scored 3 really good goals, even if there were defensive mistakes in all of them. And that's been the story of their season in the games I've seen of them. Very solid at the back and then take their chances when they get them.

9 points isn't great, but it's not insurmountable. My worry since Laporte's injury has been our ability to actually capitalize on it if they do start to drop points. It's one thing to expect them to drop points at some point (every team does) but it's another to make sure you're there when they do. 9 points in November is usually seen as better than 9 points in January, but more often than not it's evidence that the gap is going to widen rather than the team having more time to catch up. Hopefully we can buck the trend.

We went down fighting and the better team.

We can't defend, but we don't have to if we play like we did in the last 20.

Outside of VAR, Sergio should have had a hat-trick and will know it.

Gundo, never again, please.

Thought Bernie, plus Kevin and Raheem, towards the end did well.

Fern was our man of the match, outstanding performance from him.

If we can go on a run between now and Jan, I still think we will win it.

Honestly thought they were more up for this game than we were. City very lacklustre but I would think it’s difficult to get the players riled up when you’ve won the domestic treble and the league for the last two seasons.....no doubt some will say the players live for days like this etc etc. Just my take.

9 points behind isn’t unbridgeable and we know they have previous when it comes to bottling it around Xmas. I think we need a bit of injury luck and consistency in our team selection.

Edit:

I’m quite looking forward to the scousers bagging it up thinking it’s already in the bag......we know what happens next.

Injuries are killing us. It’s going to be long season from now on in.

We seem a pale shadow of the the side we were last season and the annoying part is that the dippers aren’t as good as they were last season either.

The season starts here, if we want to push them all the way, it’s gonna take at least 15 straight wins, which with that defence, not too sure we can achieve

Anyway, go down fighting like we did today and they’ll be no complaints from me

i think that our best bet to win the league is actually the competition provided by Leicester and Chelski - it keeps the pressure on the scousers from different angles and not just focussed on us (and neither is every one else).......we know we are capable of a long winning run...especially once we hopefully get Laporte bak and if we can then stay relatively injury free).....Liverpool will drop points away from anfield

we actually played ok but our tactics play directly into their hands (high possession with everyone pushed so high allowing break aways on turn overs like the first goal and also the second...we are so suseptable to a cross field pass that switches play very quickly)

THe issue is we are no where near at our best and there are a number of players underperforming who are Key...bernardo being one and KDB being the other (not playing badly but just not hitting the heights that we know they can)....add to that the injuries and then a couple of weak links (gundogan in midfield) and its going to be very difficut.

ID rather anyone win it than the scousers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.