Liverpool (a) post-match thread

Their defence was better than ours, end of. Laporte and ederson are huge holes for us.

yup

there defence is solid and their midfield is set up to be able to defend as well....Mouhrihnio was hinting at that in the re match build up......rodri did well and when we are in possession vs most teams we can get away with the odd slip up but against very good teams with clinical quick attacks (Scousers, spurs) we are exposed ad we have seen other examples of it as well.

PEP There is still seven months. If Liverpool win the title, I will be the first to congratulate them for how good they are. We want to fight until the end. It was a great honour and spectacle for the Premier League - two teams who want to attack and create chances.

I said yesterday that after today, I’m done talking about VAR and the officials.

On the game, the team weren’t on top form. Although, the started well initially. Dippers didn’t play great but they scored the goals needed, hook or by crook. It’s one of those games I don’t want to criticise any of the players or the tactics. I can’t be incensed anymore.

Currently, the points gap isn’t great but if there’s one team than can turn it around, it’s this team. I’ll support them till the end. Nonetheless, the team need to be ruthless.

Also, is it time to gamble on the kids in the CB position? Question for the BM faithful.

PEP What happened today is that we showed why we were the Champions. In this stadium, to play way we played, we did incredible. I'm so proud of my team. They're the strongest team in Europe and the way we played, we played so good.

Guardiola on his altercation with the referee at full time: "No way [was it sarcastic] I congratulated them... I am so polite, even in here"
I wish he’d just call it out for being bent.

The penalty obviously changes things drastically but it’s not an excuse for numerous things today that have to be questioned.

Why the hell did we constantly just stand off them and let them put in cross after cross at will? I’m assuming it was tactical considering the entire team did it for 90 minutes but I’ve no idea what the thinking behind it was.

Everybody on earth knows their biggest weapon is their crossing yet we just stand there and let them pump in balls whenever they want? Leading off that point, we never got into them once, I understood not pressing from the front as it plays into their hands for the ball over the top and counter attack but to not press in our own third too was ridiculous.

everything seemed to be about getting bodies behind the ball but then standing 5 yards off them allowing them to make the pass they wanted making it way too easy for them. I predicted numerous times pre-match we would suffer from back post balls, if it’s obvious to a numpty like me why didn’t Pep do something to try and combat it? In that respect we played right into their hands as well.

Going forward we were meek. We handled their press comfortably as they preferred to get bodies behind the ball but You can’t play at our usual slow often ponderous pace like we did for the majority of that match probing for a gap in a wall of 10 when you’re unwilling to commit as many players forward as usual due to the fear of the counter. Things needed to be played first time with pace and we just didn’t do it at all.

Sterling did his usual disappearing act against them bar 10 minutes despite having TAA on toast whenever he wanted and he’s our only source of real pace in the team. couldn’t get Aguero involved enough and when we did he was isolated, outnumbered and was well off it too with the chances he did get. Bernardo was busy in periods did some good things but was doing things we would expect from the players in the middle not the wide player, he should have partnered kdb in the middle instead of gundogan who was largely anonymous yet again aside from a woeful clearance for their first goal.

The story is obviously the penalty not being given but to boil the game and result down to that I feel Let’s us off the hook somewhat with what was some really poor team tactics today as opposed to individual performances costing us points.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.