Will this challenge make Pep stay longer

There is probably a bigger rebuild required than most of us imagined at the start of this season and it probably won't be doable in one summer window. Top class left back, possibly two centre backs, Fern & D Silva gone next season, probably a Sane replacement and it isn't clear that Jesus will be Kuns successor.

Maybe Pep will think that should be something for a new manager.

I always thought this would be his last season, he isn't a manager to stick around for the long term but come in, show he can do it and move on. 4 seasons is a bonus for us.
He will want that treble though.

The club will no doubt have a succession plan, so we don't end up like those muppets in Salford. Seeing what went in to bringing Pep in, I've got full faith in the club to take the next step.

my take:

if he wins the Champions league - Irrespective of PL result, he goes at end of season - Job Done
If he wins PL, but not CL - He stays, one more year to win CL
Wins neither - he goes - done

The entire squad has been on a magnificent 2.5 year run, and to pull this out from here would be the best of all of them, but I just don’t see it. Some players are getting King in the tooth, injuries are catching up with others, and for others the game has simply become to fast and powerful for them to compete at the top, top level.

The squad needs a significant refresh from front to back. If Pep and Txiki and Khaldoon are as ruthless as they should be, there are at least 5 players in the first team squad who will not be in it next season. They are going to be pensive to replace, but replaced they must be, we are far too small, nowhere near powerful enough, and too stale in our game against the 5-4-1 (and make no mistake, that’s how Liverpool finished the game!) for there not to be SIGNIFICANT money spent between now and next season IF City want to continue on their constant battle for all trophies.

What concerns me most is that we appear fragile at times, frustrated at others, and sometimes even overpowered by lesser opposition. This cannot be allowed to continue.

Having spent a small fortune on defenders, it is clear that there is still significant weakness there, especially with Laporte out. In midfield, Fernandinho, Gundogan and Silva are all past their prime and on the way out...although we may get another year of service from Fernandinho. Out wide, Bernardo and Mahrez aren’t doing the business and the goalscoring has become a two man show. Throw in there that KDB, one of the world’s best players, is being flogged like a donkey in midfield to try to fill the gaps, and it is no wonder we are floundering at present...and will in the future without significant replacements. Rodri has been sensational, and Angeliño has filled in well as a stop gap, but clearly we are looking tired.

Now, I will hold my app hand up and say even with all that, we STILL could and should have won at Anfield, but we are just not getting those breaks, those slutchy goals, and those decisions going our way, and Liverpool are. That’s what makes me believe it is their year, ours is going to be determined by our CL run, and next season may be very interesting depending upon what happens in January and the summer.

Onwards dm upwards, take it on the chin, stiff upper lip and all that. I’d still rather be a Blue than anything in the world, and I still pinch myself after watching this team play for the last 7-8 years, and especially the last 2 1/3 seasons.

This is how it feels to be City....now the question is whether Pep likes it enough to do the work necessary, or has he groomed Arteta to do the next rebuild?

One thing we as City supporters should make sure we never have is a sense of entitlement. As in financial decisions we should work on the basis that past success is no guarantee of future success.

We have had an unbelievable period since 2011 but it might be that it is coming to an end. You might think why should it but it's clear that Pep's intensity can only work for so long plus we are seeing major players who have been crucial to the success we have enjoyed coming to the end of their time with us. We have lost Yaya & Kompany and soon we will lose David Silva. Fernandinho has done brilliantly to stay at a high level but it's unrealistic to expect too much more out of him. Aguero is also at the wrong end of his career so there is a lot of work to be done to get the squad to the level it has been previously.

It could be that we have to rebuild and go again so there is no point in raging about Liverpool maybe winning the league. The only way of preventing any club winning it is by ensuring that we win it.

He’s a Catalan and if there’s one thing they like it’s a fight against injustice.
I think it may well spur him on to stay, especially if he is given funds to rebuild our central defence.

my take:

if he wins the Champions league - Irrespective of PL result, he goes at end of season - Job Done
If he wins PL, but not CL - He stays, one more year to win CL
Wins neither - he goes - done

I can't see him going if he wins nothing. He will want to go out a winner

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.