What can we possibly do to go on a 15 game winning run?

Personally I think were done this season in the PL.
Today VAR and the FA saw to it that we've all known for a long time that the game is bent and they want Liverpool to win it this season, and thus heed Scudamores wish of a more competitive league.

Sadly I can see Liverpool winning it by around 20 points and our 100 point record is in severe danger.
More concerning is stopping Chelsea and Leicester for us now.

1) Get Eddie fit asap. Couldn't really blame Bravo today but Eddie's presence gives the defence confidence.
2) Buy a central defender or two in January. Or give THB or Garcia a chance.
3) Stop wasting bloody good chances.
4) Buy some refs and VAR officials.

I think having watched 12 games, it’s fair to say that we are not going to go on 15 game winning runs this season with this side currently. We played ok in parts today but always chasing the game when 2-0 down so to a degree we had to attack and looked good doing so but wasteful as always.

I was more impressed with our ground out 1-0 wins last season on our unbeaten run. We don’t seem to have those in us currently and with this defence, no wonder. I think teams are going to score virtually every time they go forward.

We need to stabilise things and for me that means getting Fernandinho back in midfield. He is the master at stopping dangerous situations before they develop and can’t do that playing where he is. I would pick Garcia to enable him to do that.

We need to find some form and find our shooting boots quickly because we have some tough games coming up.

Last edited:
Sané’s the big miss IMO. Not necessarily for what he offers but more for the knock-on effect it has when he’s not available. Forces Sterling to the left, where he’s extremely wasteful and never looks like beating his man. This in turn forces Bernardo to the right, he’s far too good in the middle to be playing him out of position. Bernie being out wide puts Gundogan in the team and Gundogan seems incapable of producing anything useful - mind you he did get an assist today, shame it was for Fabinho and not one of our players...

Look far from a team capable of putting that kind of run together right now. it’s 9 points now which isn’t insurmountable but we look more likely to drop further behind right now. Got too many games like Norwich and wolves in us, villa and Southampton weren’t convincing either.

Greater than our defensive issue (which once more, was brought on by our piss poor decision making in the summer, 1 single injury causing the entire defensive unit to crumble is criminal) Our side badly lacks pace and our tempo isn’t quick enough to compensate. when we do have chances to break, instead of going for the counter and risk the turnover of possession, we’re more than happy to ensure we keep the ball, slow it down, let teams set up and try to play through them, and without runners to deal with it’s nowhere near as hard to defend against that as it has been in the past.

As the opposition, if you cut the space out for sterling, who have we got running in behind or into space to trouble them? Silva, kdb, Bernardo, mahrez, gundogan, They all want to be the man on the ball it’s an issue made worse by having your only genuine runner in a position where he almost always wants to cut back inside thus slowing the game down further still.

We can’t suddenly magic up a centre back or a sane replacement before January but what we can do is put sterling on the right in the position where he’s infinitely more dangerous, we can put Fernandinho in his natural position where he’s infinitely better and we can play Bernardo centrally, where again, he’s infinitely better. Too many square pegs in round holes currently.

For the first time in ages Peps got some work to do, we can’t carry on how we’ve started this season and expect anything other than a similar outcome. We’ve had a very forgiving fixture list so far yet we’ve dropped 11 points, last season we dropped 16 all season and 14 the season before which shows how far off the boil we currently are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.