Liverpool (a) post-match thread

How dare you, you don't know me. I've supported this club for 25 years and have never supported any other team but I am a realist and recognize that at the end of the day it is a sport. Not life or death. Liverpool at the moment because of our injury situation ARE better than us and for large parts of the season last year they were just as good as us but we didn't have the injuries that we do at the moment. When you have a season that is so close on points then you need luck and we got that last year.
You’re clearly on the wind-up, they were incredibly lucky last season with opposition goalkeepers messing up and dubious refereeing decisions. If anything we were incredibly unlucky in some of our games where we dropped points.

Interesting way to celebrate your win yesterday coming on here but each to their own

Absolute bullshit.

making substitutes will only work if there are players on the bench capable of changing the game. City were pretty well down to the bare bones.

Maybe Mahrez could have come on but Bernardo and Stirling were causing more problems for Liverpool.

Not bullshit at all mate, Mahrez, Foden and Jesus were all capable of changing the dynamic of the game.

It wasn't fucking working at 3-0, so to just stick your head in the sand and not change it is fucking idiotic and I am glad you ain't managing the team.

Whose line is that though?
Doesn't matter whose line it is. We've known ever since VAR came in that for marginal calls the technology can not make a precise measurement, and this proves it.

VAR offside measurements have an unnacceptable margin of error.

If they can measure to + or - 5 cm, then it means that it can not be used for players who are within that distance when the ball is played.

To an extent all measurement systems will have this problem, but the Video editing measurent error is significant to make the calls unreliable. If they keep VAR, they have to change the offside rule, and of course that will give us a new grey area.

Therefore get rid of VAR and go back to the linesman. Then when technology improves reintroduce it.

Not bullshit at all mate, Mahrez, Foden and Jesus were all capable of changing the dynamic of the game.

It wasn't fucking working at 3-0, so to just stick your head in the sand and not change it is fucking idiotic and I am glad you ain't managing the team.
We were on top for 75 mins creating chances. Benrado and Sterling were on top in their personal battles. It would have been a mistake to take them off. Is Jesus better than Aguero?

I would give Jesus more games. For me City are sharper when he plays and the link up play with Sterling is potentially devastating...see opener against Atalanta.

Can someone explain, taking into account there was no break in play between the two events, why their first goal wasn't disallowed for TAA's handball? It directly led to their goal.

Considering Laporte's goal against Spurs was disallowed for that reason, why wasn't this one? A handball in the build up is a handball in the build up.

phase of play, the ball went into the box and gundog "cleared", therefore game moved on to the next phase of play and incidents beforehand are forgotten

We were on top for 75 mins creating chances. Benrado and Sterling were on top in their personal battles. It would have been a mistake to take them off. Is Jesus better than Aguero?

I would give Jesus more games. For me City are sharper when he plays and the link up play with Sterling is potentially devastating...see opener against Atalanta.

We were creating half chances, I don't think that we were creating that many really clear cut goal scoring opportunities.

And the fact remains, 3-0 down..... There is absolutely no harm in bringing that lazy shite Gundo off and putting Phil in there.

We can go on all day about VAR but it's the direction and people using it that remains the main problem. On the other hand, I still think that the narrow-sightedness of trying to put round pegs in square holes has cost us. We should and could have got an half decent CB before the season started, we didn't and now we are seeing the results of that policy. I just hope we get to the seasons end finishing at a decent position.

jesus made zero difference when he came on anyway so that one didn’t work.

I think we only looked on top because we were 2 and then 3 nil down. I’m not sure how hard the dippers tried to score again, particularly at 3-0 up. They looked dangerous every time they went forward for me. A lot of non Liverpool supporting mates of mine who actually hate them said the best team won.

I have no complaints on the loss and to be honest we played some nice stuff. We started well and then threw it away. We also ended strongly which was pleasing to see.

The spirit is there, it’s just the injuries and loss of form to key players fucking us over currently. Ederson getting injured when he hardly had anything to do is just a freak injury and Mendy out once again leaving a very inexperienced left back to play only his 2nd game at Anfield. Any side with a makeshift defence and keeper is going to struggle against them as you have pointed out already.

We don’t feel the same this season. Struggling to create clear chances against the likes of Wolves, Villa (first half) and Southampton worries me more than this game. I don’t think we will catch them up and maybe it’s just that Peps relentless demands just can’t be kept up for this long.

As long as we keep winning things then that’s all that matters and I suspect we will. It won’t always be the league though. 4 times in 8 seasons ain’t bad!

After rewatching the game:

It seemed like Peps game plan was a 4-4-1-1 with KDB in a free role behind SA, both pressing aggressively when out of possession, almost like a striker partnership. Gundogan was sitting deep alongside Rodri to help in the build up, to counter Lpools high press. Then, KDB in a free role would receive the ball after City played through Lpools high press, looking to exploit space vacated by their pressing midfielders. This game plan is similar to how City played at Anfield last year. However, the main difference in this game was that Angelino & Walker were allowed to attack, while Walker & Mendy played very defensively in the 18/19 fixture.

Refereeing decisions aside. What went wrong:

1-0: Aguero, Bernardo, Sterling, KDB, Gundogan and Walker are all in & around LFCs 18 yard box. If we were looking to play a bit conservative like last year, then either Walker or Gundo should have stayed further back imo. But they didnt. After TAA´s handball, the ball goes to Mane, Stones tracks his run while Rodri covers Stones in case Mane tries to go inside. Mane eventually gets a cross in, which Angelino prevents from reaching Salah. The big mistake happens when Gundo gets the ball from Angelino. We have 5 players vs Lpools 3 inside our 18 yard box. As Walker is the last of the defensive 6 (back 4 + 2 DMs) to return, he should position himself centrally outside our 18 yard box in case of a clearance. Instead, Walker moves toward his fullback position which leaves a massive space for Fabinho. Then Gundo delivers a horrendous clearance, and Fabinho has got all the space & time in the world to take the shot. A very poor goal to concede.

2-0: City are pressing high, until Arnold switches play to Robertson who is in space. He takes a touch before crossing to Salah who scores. Its more of a brilliant attack by Lpool than poor defending by City really. A more experienced LB could maybe have prevented this goal, but i dont want to be too harsh on Angelino. Possibly offiside??

3-0: Throw-in for Lpool down our left side. Henderson gets the ball and his run is tracked by Gundo while Angelino is marking Firmino. Henderson sprints toward the touchline, and both Gundo & Angelino follows him until Gundo suddenly gives up. Angelino tries to block the cross but Henderson has got too much space. Bravo is passive, and with better anticipation he could have cleared the cross. Walker is ball watching while Mane runs behind his back to score. A very poor goal to concede. Lack of communication between Angelino & Gundo, Bravo is way to passive while Walker looses his marking.What should have happened: Gundo marks Firmino and tells Angelino to close down Henderson. As Henderson moves toward the touchline, Bravo anticipates a cross and takes a few steps out, ready to intervene. Walker keeps close to Mane and is ready to clear at the far post.

Also, Citys counter attacking throughout the match was horrendous. 4-5 good counter attacking opportunities were wasted. Of the two counter attacks that were successful, Aguero should have scored 1, maybe 2 goals. Although KDB created 3 big chances, i dont think we got enough out of him in this match.

Positives: The team didnt give up, didnt get nervous, and pushed for goals whatever the scoreline was. We dominated possession and created some decent chances against their low block. Apart from their goals, Liverpool only created 1 decent chance, which shows how effective they were.

In summary: Citys performance wasnt terrible, though far from good enough. We did create chances. What let us down was poor finishing, individual mistakes, lack of communication, and wasteful counter attacks.

January 1st this year we were 7 points behind Lpool. We won 18 out of the last 19 games to win the title on the final day. That is insane. While things looks like shit right now, dont give up yet. But Pep needs to get our defensive stability back. A long winning run for us from now until Laporte & Sane gets back in jan, while Lpool got a cracy december, then things could look very different in a couple of months.

Come on City
This is where I am at......

Doesn't matter whose line it is. We've known ever since VAR came in that for marginal calls the technology can not make a precise measurement, and this proves it.

VAR offside measurements have an unnacceptable margin of error.

If they can measure to + or - 5 cm, then it means that it can not be used for players who are within that distance when the ball is played.

To an extent all measurement systems will have this problem, but the Video editing measurent error is significant to make the calls unreliable. If they keep VAR, they have to change the offside rule, and of course that will give us a new grey area.

Therefore get rid of VAR and go back to the linesman. Then when technology improves reintroduce it.
Yeh I get that - it was more a query s to whether this was the frame and line that was used to award it onside or not

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.