Var debate 2019/20

What if the player who strikes the ball does so in a plane that is not 9O degrees the to the camera?

That exacerbates the problem about identifying in a 2D frame the moment when the ball is struck, and what is the relevant moment for the offside comparison? When the boot strikes the ball, or when the ball leaves the foot? What is to stop the operator using different criteria in every game?

Then once you have the frame, how do you compare the position of players who are not inline with the camera. Drawing the line across the pitch is straightforward. Anyone can do that in microsoft Paint. I've done it loads of times, but then you have the problem of body parts which are are at different heights and this distorts the view when you are not inline.

To illustrate this effect:

We know that Stones cleared the ball on the goal-line as per inline camera footage, but look how it appears when it is viewed from a different perspective.

ccmPvsc.png

As far as I know, VAR are not correcting marginal offsides calls for the viewing angle and relative heights of bodypart and reference line when the ball 'is struck'. It matters not when the camera is inline, but it does matter when it isn't, and frequently it isn't.

There are 2 sources of error with VAR offside calls:

1) Establishing the moment when the ball is played because there is no single moment, and in practise it's not so easy to capture anyway

2) Distortion of the like we see above when player's goal-side body-parts are at different heights, and the view is at an angle

I maybe wrong about the 2nd point, but if this effect exists for goal-line assesments at an angle, then I think it should also be applicable for offside calls. Isn't the goalline clearance we have in the image above directly analagous to a line across a pitch and two player's body parts which are at different heights to that reference line?

The only mitigation is that typically the angle is small. They try and select an image that's relatively inline, but they are never directly inline. Look at the size of the error that this angle introduces.

Regarding the ball, in my opinion as long as the player passing the ball has the ball connected to his foot (or appears to have) then the frame can be used, don't forget i believe the attacking team should have the advantage here.

I understand what you are saying about camera angles but again with the money in the game I can see no reason why a series of cameras could not be fitted across the entire length of the pitch to assist with the capture of images.

7-8 years ago there was no goal line technology but look at the difference this has brought about.

Who is to say that in the next 5 years the players shirt don't incorporate a small GPS chip that can measure at any moment the proximity of a player to the goal line and automate the process that way. Obviously this could not be rolled out through every level of the game but anything is possible if they had the will to change things for the better.

var is shite,whoever wanted this shite to come into football hasn't got a clue about football, i said it would ruin football before they started to use it and im not wrong, the refs are shithouses as well, if we carry on using var crowds will dwindle because the match going fan hasn't got a clue whats going on , and the most joyous thing about football is the goals well that's been fucked as well, VAR IS WANK

It’s not VAR that is wank, it’s the orchestrated use of the laws to fck us over.

look at Rugby, it’s clear & honest.

the rules are applied & communicated, var with s the same in both but the people who apply the rules are corrupt.

I can't get my head around VAR..

You have a multi billion pound industry that is based on results..

VAR has been introduced to manage and oversee fairness across the board and to ensure the correct decisions are reached regarding goals, penalties and offsides..

It was sold on the premise that it will be clinical and will remove any reasonable doubt on these calls..

The referee needs help and this will be the answer we were all told..

What a bag of shit!

It is open to massive interpretation. What happened yesterday was a disgrace.

We were fucked over by both the referee and Stockley Park.

Everyone watching yesterday, not just City fans would agree it was a penalty.

It has been said by many on here before, including me that what we are watching and what is actually happening is not one and the same..

PiGMOL hide behind 'it's teething problems'..

Well it's not f'kin good enough..!!

There is absolutely no excuse or reason for the big, game changing decisions to be called wrong... that they are means the game is bent and is being manipulated to favour certain teams.. we can all see what's going on but it's brushed aside and we're left to pick up the pieces..

You then have to listen to some **** on SKY justifying the call when a f"kin blind man would be embarrassed to spout the shit they come out with..

Do these people think we are stupid?

Trouble is, there's nothing we can do about it.. We have got to accept these decisions and get on with it..

The game is being ruined by the money men who want to keep certain global fanbases happy..

Money corrupts and there's an ocean full of money in the Premier League...

I'm f'kin pissed off with yesterday's game, level playing field it certainly is not..!!
You only have to see some **** on the thread I have just posted justifying this shit.

inconsistency, it happens to everyone, fucking bullshit it happens to US!

So according to Swarbrick IFAB rules prevent any chance of the VAR process being communicated so that we can all see/hear what’s going on.

Ridiculous.

So according to Swarbrick IFAB rules prevent any chance of the VAR process being communicated so that we can all see/hear what’s going on.

Ridiculous.

But they aren’t following IFAB rules so why use that as an excuse.

Are there seriously still people defending this shite on here. It’s not like goal line tech, it never will be it’s completely open to abuse, it’s utter shite.

Is var here for good then ,or can everyone in the prem bar the rags and scousers obviously, get their heads together and try and force it to be scrapped for next season?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.