Var debate 2019/20

It’s ready & it works if they want it to.

At the monent it’s like giving the keys to a car to 6 year olds & the saying cars aren’t safe.

First you have to remove your conscious bias, can you imagine how bad goal line technology would be if you had to rely on these bent bastards.

we’ve got used to decisions being wrong, corrupt or poorly misjudged but there is no excuse. You have rules & the the footage.

we had to suck it up with Laporte grazed arm not moving the ball yet they can’t see pushes or obvious handballs.

Gotta do anything to line those pockets and maintain the livelihoods of the blood-sucking leeches making a fortune from football. Wonder who's name has been pre-determined for the 2020/2021 title? Couldn't be the red murderers again, could it Mr Scudamore?
Got to keep that Scandinavian market hungry for the 'product'.

PL Chiefs to meet with PGMOL on Thursday then.

First steps towards getting rid of it then. No doubt they'll tinker with it but there is no means of getting round the fundamental delay, so no matter what window-dressing they try, it's going to work. It will save us all a lot of aggro if they could just figure this out straight away, and dispose of it now.

I posted this in June 18

"t's a mess isn't it?

Replacing the fallible decisions of refs with the fallible decisions of full kit wankers in booths. It's not an improvement and makes the game even more susceptible to corruption and bent decisions.

Not a fan"

And this in March 2019

"I hate VAR, and think it is bad for the game…but I’m a realist and it’s inevitable. My “manifesto” for a better VAR would be as follows:

1. Learn from the pilots

Lots of versions in play now. FIFA should refuse permissions for associations to use it next season and use the full year to evaluate the various pilots of it and come up with one definitive version, based on the best of what the evaluation of the pilots suggest. Going forward, Associations must use that, or not use VAR at all.

2. Access

My preference would be that it is only called into play when the Ref asks for it. We shouldn’t have people whispering in referees’ ears. They are in charge of the game.

If not, the only time when VAR should proactively get involved is to ask a question to clarify what a ref saw, rather than suggest a decision is wrong (see 3 and 4 below).

3. Be transparent and keep things focussed

The Schalke stuff (monitor broken) was crazy, and this shouldn’t be allowed to happen. Just accept that you need to do without VAR for that game.

The Refs and VAR team need to be miked as they are in all other sports which use this tech, so we can hear specifically what is going on.

Let’s keep things as tight as possible in terms of reviews. This creates the parameters by which VAR should operate which helps players and fans understand it, and mitigates against VAR going looking for things.

We could go to the lengths that Rugby does (“is there any reason I can’t award a goal”) but I worry about that a bit. Football is more fluid, and it would cause big delays in terms of looking back over prolonged periods of time. Our derby goal against the Rags this year was a long passage of play and we don’t want to look at “phases” in detail, it will take too long and ruin the flow of games.

4. Get it to support referees, not undermine them

This was supposedly a big driver of VAR – get tech to help refs out. I think it is undermining them now tho.

Way to tackle this is to have a “refs call” and, in cases where there are very fine margins (milometers for offsides, subjective views as to whether there is a foul or not), we should be supporting referees and accepting that humans aren’t perfect. I don’t want a VAR which says “disallow that goal because the striker’s big toe might have been offside if our camera angle and lines on the video are right”. All this stuff about microchips in shirts and boots and stuff – total red herring.

The Ref should stay in control at all times.

As an example, in the case of a goal following a clear offside, the VAR team could legitimately say “You gave onside but the video shows the striker appears to be offside, do you want to view the footage?”. The Ref, and no-one else, gets to decide, and we hear their explanation for whether they decide to review or not.

As a further example, if a ref gives a pen and the guy has not been touched and dived then VAR should rightly try and clear this up, but in a way which emphasies that the ref is in charge. Eg, “Did you think there was contact there Ref, as there may not have been?”. Ref then gets chance to see for themselves and decide whether their decision was right. Equally, if a player appears to have fouled someone but the ref plays on then VAR could check whether the Ref saw it. If a Ref says “yes I saw contact between 2 players and I was alright with that” then the Ref’s view should prevail.

What we don’t want is subjectivity like “you gave a foul there but we disagree”. We shouldn’t be replacing the subjective view of one person with anothers. If we want to do that, then get rid of Refs and do it all through a booth."

Proved right, sadly

PL Chiefs to meet with PGMOL on Thursday then.

First steps towards getting rid of it then. No doubt they'll tinker with it but there is no means of getting round the fundamental delay, so no matter what window-dressing they try, it's going to work. It will save us all a lot of aggro if they could just figure this out straight away, and dispose of it now.

John Motson had the right idea, remove that fucking VAR headquarters and bring it pitch side. With a monitor at the side of the screen for the ref to look at. The 4th official (or even have a 5th one solely sat pitch side watching said monitors). Any issues, in the refs ear, come look.

Sure, the bent bastards can still use it at their peril to begin with, but we know who the cheating **** is. Atm it's a hidden, faceless person who is just going along with whatever the refs doing so as to not undermine them.

As well as this though, the ref should he mic'd up, and should have to give an interview post game to discuss the big decisions and what laws of the game they applied in certain situations.

Of course this is all pie in the sky pipe dream stuff cos itll never fucking happen. Cos it is used how they want it to be, to favour certain teams.

Last edited:
VAR does not remove human judgements, decisions or errors. It is fundamentally flawed. Simple case in point is some human has to decide what frame at what point to base a decision on. 3 arbitrary decisions open to interpretation and corruption. It was the emperor’s new clothes and some of you are still defending it
What the fuck you on about? Your post makes no sense in reply to mine?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.