January defenders

Our current defenders are more than capable enough. They just need an injury free run of form in a settled line up like other teams have managed.
Sorry mate but apart from Laporte they are not good enough . I mean pep would rather play a central midfielder than trust otamendi and to not even pick our £50 million left back in the match squad tells me he is finished at city . Walker looks like he is gonna probably get his wish to finish his career at sheff Utd if not next season then the season after . We have some good young defenders coming through but boy we are definitely not on the money at the back .

Sorry mate but apart from Laporte they are not good enough . I mean pep would rather play a central midfielder than trust otamendi and to not even pick our £50 million left back in the match squad tells me he is finished at city . Walker looks like he is gonna probably get his wish to finish his career at sheff Utd if not next season then the season after . We have some good young defenders coming through but boy we are definitely not on the money at the back .
Prior to injury, Stones (middle of last season certainly) was a shoe in, as were Mendy and LaPorte. Then take your pick from Otta, Walker, Zinch, Cancelo, Angelino and Garcia for the final place with the youngsters coming through to supplement.

A run of games with a settled back line in front of Eddie and we start to see the mistakes ironed out.

Spending money doesn't always resolve your problem.

Look at Chelsea for an example, they spend nothing last summer and lost their best player Hazard while also having important players injured.

They relied on their youngsters ( Abraham, Mount, Tomori & others ) and somehow they are above City after 12 rounds !

IMO, Pep made some mistakes and he needs to get back to the basics and use the 100 points season as reference.

Interesting how you have prioritised qualities needed. I am an old fuddy duddy and would want first and foremost defensive ability first

yes but such a defender is useless for us if he can’t use his feet. Also every great defense needs a leader and we don’t have one. Kompany is gone so leadership is crucial for us. Without Kompany coming into the defense at the end of last season no chance we win the league.

We need a leader.
We need a strong character. Kompany calling Salah a 'pussy', Yaya picking up Lallana at Wembley.
On Sunday when Sterling was getting grief it was like the nursery kids shouting 'stop it'.
Look at VVD did he marched over and threw his weight into the argument with Sterling and Gomes.
We need somebody to walk over and say 'f@ck off and deal with me'.

Prior to injury, Stones (middle of last season certainly) was a shoe in, as were Mendy and LaPorte. Then take your pick from Otta, Walker, Zinch, Cancelo, Angelino and Garcia for the final place with the youngsters coming through to supplement.

A run of games with a settled back line in front of Eddie and we start to see the mistakes ironed out.
I respect your opinion mate but I don’t think they are . John stones. Has carried on from the back end of last season and Doesn’t look like getting better so I don’t even think a run of games is making him any better . Otamendi should not have been allowed to stay on this season as he is clearly not good enough. What we should have done is blood Garcia and Taylor Haywood even now with the title race virtually over give them game time in the league because they will become unsettled as it’d only natural. I really cancelo even more so than walker so he would now be starting. I think walker who has been great is coming to the end of career at the very top as you can see this season there has been way too many lapses . The left side is just a mess but give angelino game time now as I wouldn’t trust mendy and neither does pep i mean biggest game of the season and mendy s not even in the squad. If we’re not gonna buy then get the kids in.

I respect your opinion mate but I don’t think they are . John stones. Has carried on from the back end of last season and Doesn’t look like getting better so I don’t even think a run of games is making him any better . Otamendi should not have been allowed to stay on this season as he is clearly not good enough. What we should have done is blood Garcia and Taylor Haywood even now with the title race virtually over give them game time in the league because they will become unsettled as it’d only natural. I really cancelo even more so than walker so he would now be starting. I think walker who has been great is coming to the end of career at the very top as you can see this season there has been way too many lapses . The left side is just a mess but give angelino game time now as I wouldn’t trust mendy and neither does pep i mean biggest game of the season and mendy s not even in the squad. If we’re not gonna buy then get the kids in.
We don't play a settled back line week-in week-out like other teams. A settled back line is greater than the sum of its parts, but I guess we'll never know how good they can be as a unit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.