Pep Guardiola - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had to deal with injuries, referee decisions, etc. If you think there is a clear algorithm about how to win at Anfield even if you are without several key players, I can't help you. Maybe you need to think a bit more before taking the easiest route of blaming the manager, the players...Liverpool have a great team and have won the CL. It's not like going to Palace and failing to win with a much superior team. We have never played a PL game with the exact same defenders and keeper before. It was always going to be very difficult, especially with all controversial situations decided in Liverpool's favour.

We could start by stopping being so deferential to them. All this crack about great team great stadium winds me up.

I can’t help but feel his mental block with Gundo in attacking midfield is his downfall. We keep saying it and keep saying it and he still picks him there and he continues to look average or have little impact.

Mahrez should have started on the right and Bernardo in midfield instead of Gundo (or instead of Rodri with Gundo defensive mid).

We won the game at our place last season because we suffocated their midfield with Fernandinho and Bernardo having their best games of the season for us.

Yesterday we had neither Fernandinho or Bernardo in midfield and you could really tell.

Rodri’s alright, but he’s no Fernandinho. Gundo isn’t a patch on Bernardo.

Why weaken our own midfield?

Why is Mahrez not playing?

We were well and truly shafted by the officials but we also didn’t do ourselves any favours by playing a weaker midfield than we should have and by not taking our fucking chances, yet again!

The media coverage is even more bananas than I thought it would be, but guess we shouldn't be surprised.

Pep is incredible, amazing and all those things, as we will rue the days when he is gone. I love what he is and what he does so the media and haters can simply do one.

If he leaves it's because of the optics, where he's not been given the respect he deserves from too many in England, particularly the media, even after 2 titles and 198 points in 2 seasons.

A good portion of it, IMHO, is due to the the strangely "unholy" alliance between Brexit & left-wing class warfare lovers targeting City in the context of hyper-romanticisation of tribal football values as the sport being only acceptable in its purest form as a "working class" game where quality is less important than hard work and rooting for underdog.

It's quite interesting to me, as in the USA this can very much be true, but there is also more love here for glamourous and glitzy sides even if constructed in ways fans don't like as one bows down to the performance. Besides wealth in the USA this relates, in part, to why the USA is influential to celebrity culture in the world, with Hollywood, the NBA, and the music industry (particularly hip-hop) being massively influential and revered when it is done with quality.

I heard on the Football Weekly podcast the fill-in host say this result was a "Knockout blow." Today Barney Ronay's article and the other day Eni Aluko's piece, both in a so-called respectable periodical like The Guardian. This is the climate and you wonder if he's thinking no matter what I do the media/fans in this country will never love me like they do Klopp and lead him to go away.

How much Pep is discredited is almost madness to me.

Was a poor result, and we have flaws, but I can't blame him for leaving as I can see why he might think he can never truly get them to respect him as much as he wants.

It will be a very sad day and I hope he knows many of us are behind him regardless of what they say.

In German Media they are reporting that his family doesn't want to live in Manchester anymore, they are feeling unwell in Manchester. Guardiola still wants to fullfill his contract but might force to quit after this season

The choir master???? smashed all records since he came to us, points, possession,
Domestic trebble community sheild in one season, the man is a fucking genius
anyone saying anything else can fuck off

See the daily fail are going all out to try and rub our noses in it this week,shit story about pep going back to bayern,because his family don’t like Manchester,fuckin clueless they are.

I see what I saw, we lost the game and have not won there since 2003 - something needs to change.

We were better team by a fucking mile. It's not Pep' fault Aguero can't hit a target or 2/3 of defence missing (ok, that actually in theory might be bit of his fault, could be something about training, medical team etc..)

Given that we deserved to win the game against Spurs by a mile and would have if we had gotten just 1 of the 2 penalties we were due.

Where do people think we'd be if Laporte didn't get injured against Brighton, only 4 games in? Better yet, imagine if Liverpool had lost VVD 4 games in until now, where would they be? How well would Klopp have coped with the same amount of injuries?

The very next game we lost to Norwich because neither Stones and Ota were in great form and hadn't played together in ages, as I remember it. There's no way we would have lost that game without our defence being destabalised, the drop in assurance at the back spread across the pitch.

Stones got injured 3 days later training in the Ukraine for our first CL of the season. Then City had to play Fernandinho as CB for the next few weeks and it appeared as if we might just get through it.

That was until KDB suffered a groin injury against Everton, City win unconvincingly against Zagreb with a midfield of Silva and Gundogan ahead of Rodri. The same two start against Wolves, which I said before the game is not the midfield I would start against a high intensity midfield like theirs. Wolves were good but all their goals, and all but 1 of their opportunities created if I remember right, all came from City errors. Some were forced with good pressing, some were unforced, Walker, Otamendi, Gundogan, even Silva I seem to remember. Not the worst team to lose to but they weren't even in that good form and had played on Thursday away in Europe. Even with KDB injured, that might have been a good game for the first Fernandinho and Rodri midfield. People are foolish to gloss over how much of a difference something as simple as the team selection can make. We simply haven't had as many options the naysayers think we've had.

The way Laporte's injury has affected the team reminds me of how big a Kompany injury used to be to the team, it has had even more of a knock on effect because there have been other injuries, all in defence and DM, limiting our options even further.

I'm not sure how much can be blamed on Pep, it's not often a team has this kind of luck. Equally it's not often a team gets the kind of luck Liverpool have been having the past two and half seasons and counting either.

I just hope Laporte's return has the immediate effect we need it to have and he comes back to his best quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.