Gareth Southgate

Gomez is a decent player, getting in a spat with Sterling doesn't change that.

You could argue many players have been overlooked at many other clubs when in form. Coady has been solid for Wolves for best part of a year, Glenn Murray was top scoring English striker last season I think, Ashley Barnes scores regularly, Grealish has been in good form. These players are probably more unlucky then any City players who have missed out recently, Foden barely plays and Walker, who hasn't been at the top of his game, has some decent competition at RB from TAA and Trippier.
Gomez has hardly played for some time and was hammered by a lot of dippers for his poor form since recovering from injury. If he deserves a place then Foden certainly does.

Taking my City bias out of the equation, I really don't think dropping Walker was that controversial. He's been wildly inconsistent for us since the start of last season.
There's a pretty good argument that he should be dropped in favour of Cancelo for us at the moment, tbh.

No.

Raz has had a key role, Walker's form went off the boil, Stones has been injured and he picked Delph when it wasn't a popular choice.

Can't reasonably expect him to pick Phil when Pep snubs him on a regular basis.

'Snubs' - what a dick

England’s weakest area is Foden’s position in my opinion.

I think you could make a decent argument for that.

However, it's not relevant to the point that Gomez is in the squad because there aren't many options in his positions, and he covers two defensive positions, and has already played for England there.
Foden has to displace some more established players who are also playing regularly, and that's a different situation entirely.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.