Imagine Pep's team at Maine Road!

My Uncle has always maintained that City’s support has never been the same since 1994. He’s always said something died in us that day that’s never been replaced.

The North Stand was okay, nothing special, and we were still moved to accommodate away fans for cup games at times. The South Stand at the Etihad has never been anything.

I’d give anything for City to demolish the East Stand and build a big fuck off one-tier’d superstand. Safe Standing. None of this behind the goal bollocks, but along the side of the pitch.

My Dad says the best he’s ever heard was the 1970 ECWC semifinal against Shalke. He was on the Kippax as a young lad that night, the crackling shouts of “Ciiiii-ty Ciiii-ty Ciiiii-ty Ciiii-ty” (that we don’t chant anymore) hurt his ears it was that loud.
Your uncle is right.
Never been the same since.
And to be honest every year that goes by it gets worse

If Sergio had scored THAT goal in front of a heaving kippax (think Charlton 85)... we wouldn’t have all got out alive

my first ever game that Charlton 85 game, don’t remember much but it’s a nice one to say was my first :)

Rose coloured spectacles i'm afraid.

Maine Road was a bit of a shitheap, and don't get me started on that horrible "new" Kippax street stand, during Franny Lee's time as chairman. A monstrosity.

The average attendance when we won the league in 1967/8 was under 37,000.

The atmosphere in the standing Kippax was brilliant though.

The Etihad is much better.

I was one of the last fans to leave the Kippax after the final game ..stayed an hour after the final whistle ..id loved every minute of my time there..even the sit down anti Swales protest... .for those who say it wasnt always noisy...well we know that ...but that's not really the point..the banter wise -cracks and feeling of togetherness even during flat games was not one that could be measured in decibels or,imo be replicated in the seats .

We all had our spot on the terrace.

Mine was half way line,half way down..nearest PlattLane ..to the right of the stand as you look at it from the pitch...Sometimes,after too much ale you got it wrong...and you d spot your mates 20/30 yards down in front of you ...you would simply make your way down the terrace politely pushing past others remenbeing to duck under the barriers..you'd greet your mates ..and others around you who you didn't necessarily know ..but would let on to you.that's how it was.Im proud to say i was part of this incredibly important part of our history..the experiences good and bad have helped shape the person I am today and I've met quite a few good friends thru standing on our great old terrace .I will never, ever forget the welcome I always got ,as an out of town fan..a real sense of togetherness and the experiences good and bad will stay with me forever.

Highlights for me we're the 5-1.. the 2-1 win over Liverpool under Kendall ;midweek match under floodlights; White scored twice ..and my first ever Boxing day match (cracking atmosphere ) against Leeds in 87..we lost 1-2,White scored..and the Banter between the away fans in a jam packed Platt Lane to our left was high.

Never quite the same afer the stand was demolished.As I said in my OP I'm sure Pep and the team would have appreciated a vocal full throttle Kippax in times when that extra edge is required.

Last edited:
the club totally fucked up the move from maine road and the atmosphere never recovered
We weren't really in a position of strength to be fair, and were offered a great deal which we managed according to how we were run at the time. I think we did a top job. Any club moving grounds is a big uptake and that is without our history and affinity at Maine Road which was a shrine that many clubs didnt have. I think in the circs we did alright and your post is misguided. Of course some atmosphere would have changed but football as a whole became more sanitised over the last 20 yrs and we had that as well

We weren't really in a position of strength to be fair, and were offered a great deal which we managed according to how we were run at the time. I think we did a top job. Any club moving grounds is a big uptake and that is without our history and affinity at Maine Road which was a shrine that many clubs didnt have. I think in the circs we did alright and your post is misguided. Of course some atmosphere would have changed but football as a whole became more sanitised over the last 20 yrs and we had that as well
I was at a meeting before we made the move, Bernard Halford bless him was there and the atmosphere at the new stadium was discussed at length and we were assured everything would be done to try and keep it as close to the North stand as possible in terms of the singing section but it just didn't happen, look where the singing section ended up, shoved in a corner while away fans have a prime spot

My Uncle has always maintained that City’s support has never been the same since 1994. He’s always said something died in us that day that’s never been replaced.

The North Stand was okay, nothing special, and we were still moved to accommodate away fans for cup games at times. The South Stand at the Etihad has never been anything.

I’d give anything for City to demolish the East Stand and build a big fuck off one-tier’d superstand. Safe Standing. None of this behind the goal bollocks, but along the side of the pitch.

My Dad says the best he’s ever heard was the 1970 ECWC semifinal against Shalke. He was on the Kippax as a young lad that night, the crackling shouts of “Ciiiii-ty Ciiii-ty Ciiiii-ty Ciiii-ty” (that we don’t chant anymore) hurt his ears it was that loud.
I went to that game. I was 16.
Schalke back then had some side.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.