United Airlines

Having put 1.82 million miles lifetime on my ass in United planes as they are my hub airline and I fly a lot, I can say the following:

1) The service has gotten better the last several years -- or more consistently good. It was kind of a random up-and-down thing between thoroughly pleasant and surly before.
2) Economy Plus is a huge winner for folks with status.
3) I fly Southwest for short hops to SoCal, Phoenix, and the Pacific Northwest out of Oakland because they have more flights and OAK rarely gets delayed while SFO often is.
4) I prefer the service on Delta to United but prefer United's planes and seat layouts.
5) Status is a great blessing during irregular operations, like big delays and cancellations, and United has helped me out of jams more than once.
6) The service on the many European carriers I've flown is often better, save for SAS and RyanAir. Love Swiss and Lufthansa.
7) I think the FAs are getting younger and more attractive, but it is possible it is just me getting older and more unattractive.

@ChicagoBlue you'll be happy to know my son picked up flying this summer. He loves it. Hope you're up front someday when I'm onboard; PM me when you're in SF for a bit.
Firstly, THANK YOU! And, I’m glad we take good care of you when you get in a jam! E+ Is a great thing, which is why we have it in our contract that any deadhead has to be in E+ or they have to give us a first class upgrade for future use! :)

Cheers, will do! I don’t layover there nearly as much in the 737 now, as the 757 and, believe it or not, 777 are doing a lot more SFO domestic flying!

Aviation is a labor of love until you make the majors, then you love the labor! Give your son my best and if he ever has a question, please make sure to get in touch!

Lastly, I’ve noticed the same thing about FAs! I see an attractive young one, and then I realize I’m old enough to be her grandfather! We are definitely hiring much younger, and the senior Mommas all want international flying because it is so productive (pay per day) and they get to fly with about 10 girlfriends and o the town in the longer Intl layovers! Beijing Pearl Market or Shanghai Science and Tech is like a FA hen party most afternoons...if the hens were required to wait until over age 65 to get married!!!

Hell no! Seahawks
So you've said, but cat's out of the bag, Mr. Missing your flights to Denver. On behalf of the twelfth man, your being put on notice.
giphy.gif

eyes-robert-de-niro-Ef0TRTKRVGGQw

Denver Airport is a pleasure to use
Apart from the afternoon storms and shit controllers, I’d agree! We are expanding our gates there, by extending the B Terminal! Very much in growth mode.

Always enjoy the Shanghai dumplings at China Wok, and used to enjoy the Timberline Lodge in the C Concourse, but they stopped taking Priority Pass!

And bring back Channel 9!!

I stopped using it when I started having to explain certain radio calls and people were recording it on flights...”just in case!” Last thing I need is some arseholes recording in the national news, with zero context and edited to make whatever happened as sensational as possible!

Like most people, I don’t really want every word recorded while I am at work, especially with the litigious nature of many Americans!

I understand why you like it, and I used to listen to it myself within about 50 miles of the airport, just to gauge how things were going, taxi times, etc... but when I was asked, quite curtly, “what were you doing up there?! You missed at least 3 radio calls that I noticed!” that was the last straw for me, personally.

I stopped using it when I started having to explain certain radio calls and people were recording it on flights...”just in case!” Last thing I need is some arseholes recording in the national news, with zero context and edited to make whatever happened as sensational as possible!

Like most people, I don’t really want every word recorded while I am at work, especially with the litigious nature of many Americans!

I understand why you like it, and I used to listen to it myself within about 50 miles of the airport, just to gauge how things were going, taxi times, etc... but when I was asked, quite curtly, “what were you doing up there?! You missed at least 3 radio calls that I noticed!” that was the last straw for me, personally.

I understand. I had Ch 9 on one of the old PS 757s a few months back and it was a surprise; quite a rarity now.

If anyone doesn't know, or is interested, Channel 9 was the audio channel where you were tapped into air traffic control radio just like the pilots on the same frequencies as your plane so you could listen along.

I flew Newark to home last week on a 787 which was nice. I do fly the 777 occasionally on that route. Back out there Monday on the ol' 757.

I fly internationally infrequently, never to Asia, always to Europe when I do (1-2x a year and somehow typically manage to tie it into a City match) so I guess I'm getting the youth benefit more since I'm so much domestic and a lot on transcons.

Thanks again Captain! Still happy with United except for the horrible name :)

Last edited:
He's fucking miles from there. Do it from Atomic City. Kaboom!

And that cinder hill almost killed me.
yup, he's way eastish, hence general direction.
Atomic City was good for a cold drink and snack from the gas station. All the graduation years painted on the cliff looked good. Did you happen to notice the Submarine black conning tower in the middle of that park, and it had a big white 666 on the side. WTF is that about?
Was at the top of that black cinder hill and a gust of wind blew a brand new white US Open hat I had bought at Pebble Beach Golf Links down the opposite side from the trail, it tumbled all the way down. Half near had to shoe ski to get it, thought it would be filthy but that volcanic dust blew right off and looked new from the shelf.
From there we went south to Twin Falls and skirted that lava field for something like sixty miles, it's massive. What fun it must have been for the Pioneers to come across stuff like that and the Grand Canyon, Snake River Canyon, and all the mountain ranges, and all the rest of it, good times. :/

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.