Euro Qualifiers Nov’19

I can still, fifty years on, give you the names of nearly all members of that team off the top of my head. I wouldn't be able to do that for any England team, except the '66 team, and even there I'm struggling beyond eight names or so (for some reason I can never remember the full backs, which is odd when you consider that it is what Ramsey was known for). Distance lends enchantment, of course, but I distinctly remember watching that game in an awe that I've never felt since. It gave me a glimpse of the beautiful game, in the fullest, most pristine sense of the word. It's been the standard, since, to which all football should measure up to, since I did see it, I didn't hallucinate it, so it is possible for eleven men to do that with a round ball on grass.
One other thing. Pelé scored more than a thousand goals. Think about that for a second — a thousand! Now I'm well aware that the last stage of his career was at the Cosmos, playing in a joke league in the States, but for the vast majority of his career Brazilian club football was far from a joke. This was in the days before Brazilians could easily play in Europe. Oh, and he won three World Cups. For me, there is no debate. Cruyff, Maradona, Messi: all very, very great players. But there is only one god of football, who looks down smilingly on them — Edson Arantes do Nascimento.
Garrincha was better, try asking a brazillian

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.