Ceefax being closed

A ridiculous decision.

A very sizeable portion of the population doesn't use the internet , the BBC knows this.

It's just change for the sake of change.

Really? Do you have the stats for that? And the stats for the amount of people who use Ceefax still? It must be microscopic, and exclusively the older generation. It's no different to VHS' dying out because things move on.

Really? Do you have the stats for that? And the stats for the amount of people who use Ceefax still? It must be microscopic, and exclusively the older generation. It's no different to VHS' dying out because things move on.

Apparently 5m people don't use the internet as of March 2019 - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...use-uk-national-how-many-people-a8806806.html

However, I would imagine the overlap between "not using internet" and "not using ceefax" is probably quite high as the TV viewers share of the red button is 0.1%.

Last edited:
Apparently 5m people don't use the internet as of March 2019 - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...use-uk-national-how-many-people-a8806806.html

However, I would imagine the overlap between "not using internet" and "not using ceefax" is probably quite high as the TV viewers share of the red button is 0.1%.

Interesting. I'd be curious to see what those people define as 'not gone online'. I would hazard a guess a solid percent of that don't see using Facebook on their phones as the internet, when it is. Some probably reckon it's sitting down on a computer and googling something. It's still a pretty small number anyway.

It's basically old people as we thought, and Ceefax is about as relevant as VHS tapes. Sadly, things move on...

I would hazard a guess a solid percent of that don't see using Facebook on their phones as the internet, when it is.

IckyMixedBlacklemur-size_restricted.gif

Sky news is on my freeview channels as well,it's a pain for older people and us technophobes when things move on but there are always other ways to get info these days
OP give her a basic tablet with the news and sports on it,she might enjoy being able to look around on it
Sound advice, Karen. Even a technophobe can learn to use a tablet in about 10 mins. I have a friend who was so technophobic he wouldn't use an ATM. Then his neighbour gave him a redundant computer which he just uses for internet news, music and emails. Took him no time to learn. He has never looked back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.