Michael Oliver to ref Liverpool v City - City lodge complaint

We all know refs have a difficult job and were sold the whole var set up on the basis that it would assist the refs.
The reality is it has somehow become more of a hindrance,and has achieved the almost impossible feat of having fans question the neutrality and integrity of the officials even more than we were previously.

I disagree Rabby. I think it is a piss easy job in comparison to the real world. I wouldn't take the players chipping at me or crowding me or feigning injury or diving and in doing so would get a reputation like that baldy Italian ref had a few years ago; ie dont fuck with me. This would create capacity to be able to concentrate on what is actually going on and not be distracted by things that dont matter.

So, in short, for me, its an easy job if you go about it the right way. And dont forget, they get paid a kings ransom for doing it.

I disagree Rabby. I think it is a piss easy job in comparison to the real world. I wouldn't take the players chipping at me or crowding me or feigning injury or diving and in doing so would get a reputation like that baldy Italian ref had a few years ago; ie dont fuck with me. This would create capacity to be able to concentrate on what is actually going on and not be distracted by things that dont matter.

So, in short, for me, its an easy job if you go about it the right way. And dont forget, they get paid a kings ransom for doing it.
I would say your reference to Collina who was a exceptionally good ref kinda proves the point it's not that easy,as very few come close to the standard he set.
That they're not down a coal mine digging out coal with their bare hands doesn't mean they're not working in the real world.
What we obviously agree on is that they're doing a piss poor job at the moment.

We all know refs have a difficult job and were sold the whole var set up on the basis that it would assist the refs.
The reality is it has somehow become more of a hindrance,and has achieved the almost impossible feat of having fans question the neutrality and integrity of the officials even more than we were previously.

While the FA are responsible for fast tracking the crap they select at present and pgmol have no one to answer to, don't expect any improvement in the near future.

All you need to know is that Walton,who never gave us anything against any scouse side, said it was a penalty.
I called it mid week before the game, dodgy VAR decision for a penalty goes against City, dippers go on to win.

Just found this on the football is fixed blog re Walton (Copy/pasted):

Peter Walton is a Red Bastard

Last night Manchester City were denied two penalty shouts by Peter "Grandad" Walton.
So what? Referees are paid to make decisions.

But what is it that influences the decisions that Grandad makes?

In 21 matches refereeing Manchester United over eight seasons, the Reds have won 15, drawn 6 and lost 0.
In the same period, Walton has officiated 13 Manchester City games with only 3 ending in victory for the Citizens with 6 defeats.

But the last four years of refereeing from Mr Walton are even more revealing.

Manchester United 11 wins, 4 draws and 0 defeats (15 matches 37 points)
Manchester City 0 wins, 3 draws and 4 defeats (7 matches 3 points).

In 22 matches over four seasons, Man Utd have NEVER LOST with Walton in charge while City have NEVER WON.

Or take the last three seasons where the cumulative points difference between United and City is 27 points - fully 18 of these points are due to the supposedly unconscious biases of an old man.

It is this sort of thing that determines titles.

The fact that this knickpoint in performance by Walton coincides with the introduction of Shinawatra's stolen largesse leading onto the petro-dollars that made football in Manchester truly competitive is only a further point that requires a response from PGMOB/Walton.

Either this is just another collection of Incredible Flukes or the PGMOB and Peter Walton have some explaining to do over the bias, and it is a statistically significant bias, and over the reason the old bastard gets, on average, six games a season to 'favour' the Ferguson Reds.

Also, after United being presented with Chris Foy and Walton for the two post-crisis matches, Foy was once again 4th Official to a junior referee for the Stoke game last night .
This means, The Racism Derby aside, Ferguson has been given dominant referees of Foy (a false sending off and two penalty decisions), Walton (a penalty), Webb with five bookings of Arsenal players (remember Ryan Babel's tweet) and Foy again (two penalties) since Newcastle/Blackburn.

And so we have a Title Race...
... although it is more akin to a Handicap Hurdle with City carrying top weight.

Farcical!

Either way Liverpool gained possession of the ball, countered and scored from TAA's handball. No handball, no goal. There's been some claims that Gundogan's scuffed clearance meant the advantage was lost which is bullshit. City never cleared the danger and never gained possession(which by definition is gaining control of the ball) thus never recovered from the moment possession was turned over illegitimately. Angelino cut out a pass to Salah in the box with his toe, Salah was already challenging Gundogan for the loose ball, who didn't have time to adjust his feet, hence the scuffed clearance and another loose ball. Neither City player in control of the ball at any point. The next action, is a free shot on the edge of the box by Fabinho and a goal. Good shot and all that but we've had a winning goal ruled out off the back of PGMOLs shite interpretation of the law. IFABs makes much more sense.

I didn't even care about the penalty, their official statement post City vs Spurs(PL statement shown on Sky Sports I seem to remember) meant play had to be brought back to where TAA handled it. If they can't give a City penalty(because Bernardo also handled it) then an indirect free-kick to City would have covered all bases. I wouldn't care if City had to pass it back to Alisson. That first goal destroyed any chance City had of getting anything from the game, Liverpool were getting bested up until then and hadn't created a single chance against City.

I don't want to see our players switch off like that again in future though, boot the ball out first, then ask for a VAR check. Don't expect these bent officials to give City anything, be aware of situations where a ref can screw you over. Like waving play on inexplicably.
We can all agree the early handball incident was a bad decision but that happened 70 yards away from where they scored their goal, I’m fine with us complaining about officials but i hope (and I’m sure they would’ve done) that in the dressing room the lads manned up and took responsibility themselves for that goal. And to suggest one goal in the 5th minute destroys any hope we had is nonsensical and doesn’t do justice to the battling qualities of this squad. The fact is we had a bad day at the office.

We can all agree the early handball incident was a bad decision but that happened 70 yards away from where they scored their goal, I’m fine with us complaining about officials but i hope (and I’m sure they would’ve done) that in the dressing room the lads manned up and took responsibility themselves for that goal. And to suggest one goal in the 5th minute destroys any hope we had is nonsensical and doesn’t do justice to the battling qualities of this squad. The fact is we had a bad day at the office.
Goals change games, we were already well up against it with the injuries in defence, lets not forget Liverpool are still a counter attacking team at heart, level was manageable but we couldn't afford to go behind.

They start a game well at ground that City never do well at and then find themselves behind with a goal that should have been ruled out, was my point. It's understandable if a bit deja vu kicked in at that point(it did for most of us watching), they are only human. For me it doesn't matter how far back the move started, it was from a counter attack that wouldn't have happened without the handball. We never recovered from that position where it was turned over(it's what Liverpool do best, counter in numbers). Yes Aguero and others switched off to appeal to the ref, I covered that but it was also a game with VAR in place.

I can blame the players for switching off as they did but I don't blame them for feeling robbed by VAR after the explanation for the 2 dropped points against Spurs they got. It's a joke the amount of poor decisions and the excuses for them, that City have got over the last 3 seasons. There seems to be different rules for City.

Last edited:
Liverpool have benefited from referees with shite game management atleast 3 times in recent memory, to my mind.

As well as against us: Playing on when two handballs have occurred and the team who didn't have possession has sprang a counter off the back of it. How can you play advantage to the team that wouldn't have had the ball in the first place?

The Fulham ruled out goal, rolling ball free kick, with Fullham players appealing, ref allows Liverpool to play on. Liverpool just take the ball up the other end and score.

The corner against Barca I feel a lot of refs would have more carefully managed, when TAA came back on to pitch as if to hand over the corner duty, he could have blown his whistle as most would, as if to say hurry up/stop pissing about and get back in position. This would have got the attention of the Barca players who were expecting the handover.

They are a shithouse team and "it's tactical", it shows a certain dishonesty to their game that should be recognised.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.