Job offer - advice

I’m going to have to see some pics of the lovely lady in question before I can offer my expert opinion on the matter in question .
Thank f***. Someone who cuts through the bullshit and actually addresses the important issue here. Sir, I doff my cap to you. OP; get on with it.

I don't mean to be critical and it's not just aimed at you, OP, but how have we come to the situation that people can't just accept decisions and move on. Everything seems to have to be challenged these days.

Is it a generational thing?

I put it down to education. When I was at school there was no such thing as querying your exam result. You passed or failed and occasionally heard of people re-sitting exams due to exceptional circumstances.

Why would you think it would be a generational thing? genuine question btw.

And there is the source of the problem.
If she wanted particular hours, she should have made it clear at interview

Absolutely not. You would never do that in an interview. You would be damaging your chances of being successful. Any expert on interview techniques etc would tell you that. If they asked you directly in the interview that’s different but colleagues I work with who interview on a regular basis have told me they’re not allowed to ask that

The crux of the issue is that the advert said part and full time roles and now they’re saying they can’t accommodate part time

She’s spoken to third party HR people this afternoon who have told her she’s got a very strong argument and it’s very likely they’ll have to back down and offer her the part time role that she thought she was going for

My missus has been offered a job after interview for 1 of 20 posts which clearly said in the advert full and part time roles

They clearly said full AND part-time vacancies. They have offered her a full-time one. Unless it stated that the employee could choose full or part-time, then I don't see that they have done anything wrong here.

They clearly said full AND part-time vacancies. They have offered her a full-time one. Unless it stated that the employee could choose full or part-time, then I don't see that they have done anything wrong here.

Yeah I can see what you mean. There is the added issue that there are fairly new employment laws that businneses have to
Allow employees to work hours around their family commitments. Unless they can prove it will harm the business they have to do it

Yeah I can see what you mean. There is the added issue that there are fairly new employment laws that businneses have to
Allow employees to work hours around their family commitments. Unless they can prove it will harm the business they have to do it

I didn't know that. It seems a bit of a minefield employing people in the UK these days!

I didn't know that. It seems a bit of a minefield employing people in the UK these days!

Definitely. It’s virtually impossible to sack people these days without getting bogged down in a long drawn out process of reviews, verbal / written warnings etc

Absolutely not. You would never do that in an interview. You would be damaging your chances of being successful. Any expert on interview techniques etc would tell you that. If they asked you directly in the interview that’s different but colleagues I work with who interview on a regular basis have told me they’re not allowed to ask that

The crux of the issue is that the advert said part and full time roles and now they’re saying they can’t accommodate part time

She’s spoken to third party HR people this afternoon who have told her she’s got a very strong argument and it’s very likely they’ll have to back down and offer her the part time role that she thought she was going for
She was 'successful'
How did that go?

Nearly every interview gives opportunity to ask questions or make a comment about the wider role.
If she said I would love the job but I can only really commit to a part time role because of...
She would have either been offered the part time hours that she wanted or not been offered anything at all if they weren't available - which I am presuming that is exactly what she is going to end up with anything I. E. She won't take the full time role.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.