#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Leicester City mate called him out as a lazy bugger before he left. So laid back he is horizontal was the phrase. My view is that he doesn’t have the mental intensity that Pep teams require. Poor fit for us. Good post btw.

Won them the only title in their 100+ years sad history. Uttermost ingratitude.

Won them the only title in their 100+ years sad history. Uttermost ingratitude.
Maybe, but a season ticket holder that watched him day in and day out in his time with the Foxes. Do you think he is wrong given the season and a half with us?

Maybe, but a season ticket holder that watched him day in and day out in his time with the Foxes. Do you think he is wrong given the season and a half with us?

I don't get your question. Looks like you are taking me on a tangent. What I said is that your mate is an ingrat of the highest order.

The downsides of his game arent really improving but the upsides seem to be more impactful.

You can tell that mate of yours that one fellow Leicester fan told him to do one. I've followed Riyad since he joined us in 2014. We were all like, who the feck is this skinny dude with that horrible haircut, he'll be be eaten alive in the Championship and wouldn't last 6 months. Then we saw him in action from his very first game.

Despite his crappy remarks about how he wasted two years of his career with us (after the title win) and his tantrum after his move to your club was blocked in January 2018, he's fecking class and a legend in my eyes. As far as I know, there's no player who wore our shirt and won the PFA Award while helping us to achieve one of the biggest upsets in football history. Yes he has quiet games, yes he has seemingly a laid back attitude and seems to do feck all during the game... until he sparks his bit of magic, pulls out a goal out of nothing and probably wins you the match. Just like today for you or many, many games for us.

After our win at the Etihad in 2016, some of our fans said exactly the same about him doing naught, aside from his assist to Huth for the first goal and his own one where he sent Kolarov (?) and Otamendi to Tahiti. Right. It seems to be a thing for the PL fans, where unless the player runs around the pitch until he leaves his lunges on the grass, he ain't motivated/good enough. Don't matter if he scores a winner. Thing is it just doesn't work like that with this kind of players unless you're Messi or CR7. Not to mention that the bloke is being dropped anyway even if he plays well, depending on Guardiola's approach for the next game. Not that I have much sympathy, he knew what to expect when he chose to play for one of the greatest managers in the world, in one of the strongest team this league has ever seen.

I know that you have high standards and he's been your most expensive player ever but still got the feeling that some here will never warm to him no matter what he does and are rather ready to pull the trigger as soon as he makes the slightest mistake than giving him credit.

In my wet dreams I just imagine what damage we could've done this season with him on the right flank. Anyways rant over, I'm just glad that you won, pushing Chelsea far away from us in the process and you're still the only team able to stop the Reds from winning the title in the long run.

Fantastic goal and ultimately the match winner but that doesn’t excuse him from justified criticism and today was another example of him not offering the side enough throughout the 90 minutes both ways.

You know when teams are doing specific training drills and bring in academy kids to effectively just be a moving cone and only do things they’re told? well Mahrez’s role in the side for the majority of most games he plays in seems exactly like that. He’s not much more than a moving cone on the touch line occupying the fullback offering an out ball. to his full credit he does that very well as he almost always retains the ball due to his impeccable control but that isn’t enough. when he receives the ball, it’s always just a simple ball back to his right back and then doesn’t offer anything so then the play generally switches back to the left where we focus our attack. there’s almost never any interplay down the right and with the like of cancelo who’s basically a winger, or a marauding Kyle Walker to work with as well as Kdb just inside there should be so much more combination play down that side.

Now this isn’t entirely Mahrez’s fault. We’ve heavily focused our attacks down the left for years now because david silva operates there and he generally controls the game when he’s on the pitch, mahrez cant do much about that but when he does get it he can do so much more.

We see when Bernardo plays there, he too can go long periods without seeing much of the ball as we focus down the left but when he gets it he’s a threat, he makes stuff happen and you see passages of play down that side.

last season and the season before that, with sterling down there and Sané on the left we saw our right side being effective, whether it was attacking down there or having sterling coming in off the wing to get into the box and score a lot of goals when we’re attacking from the left. you never see that from mahrez, that could be tactical which is why I won’t blame him entirely but sometimes you have to make things happen yourself like he did for the first and only time in the match for his wonderful goal.

We know his talents, we’ve seen what he’s capable of and he’s never got close to those standards with us nevermind doing it regularly like he did at Leicester.

Despite being a record marquee signing, being used to the league, having a full pre-season to prepare he didn’t reach expectations last season but most would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in his first year and call it a season of adapting. You don’t get that benefit second season though, you have to perform. He started the first three games brilliantly, was our best player and looked like he found his spot but since then he’s regressed back into last season Mahrez.

So what’s the issue? Is he being misused? in which case do we question Peps tactics? Is it a confidence thing? is he just this inconsistent of a player and his Leicester days were an anomaly? Or Is he just incapable of adapting to our style and is simply just not a good fit in our side?

Yawn

I see Mahrez and Sané's girlfriends have got into a bitchy row. Mahrez apparently had words with Sané about it, hope that's all blown over by the time Sané is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.