Blue Story

manclad

City boys we are here,sh*g your women and drink yo
Not another book about our beloved club by Gary James,this is a controversial film about gang violence in South London.
You probably all saw on the news, the police trying to disperse around 100 youths who were intent on causing trouble at a cinema complex in Birmingham.
I was trying to think of any other similar films in the past that caused problems at the time.
I could only think of two.
Boyz n the Hood (set in South Central LA) had gangs of youths(Crips and Bloods) causing mayhem at cinemas across the USA in 1991.
And going back to the start of modern youth culture I am sure that Rock Around the Clock had Teddy Boys slashing cinema seats and generally causing mayhem in the mid 1950s.
Anybody know or remember any similar scenarios with regards to youth culture films.

Yes you are completely right,in fact it caused that much trouble that it was banned from cinema for about 30 years.
Although it wasn't gang violence in the main,it was copy cat beatings of tramps etc,which was depicted in the film.

In Scotland it was most definitely gang violence

Yes you are completely right,in fact it caused that much trouble that it was banned from cinema for about 30 years.
Although it wasn't gang violence in the main,it was copy cat beatings of tramps etc,which was depicted in the film.
Watching it these days, it's amazing how attitudes have changed in the meantime. It seems very tame compared to what is released these days. There was one mentioned on BM a couple of days back (can't remember the name of it though), and the clip is on YouTube. Christ, it's graphic. Makes Kubrick's film look like the magic roundabout.

The film was created on the back of a very popular and viral 3 part song by Rapman by the same title. I was very much looking forward to watching it. The songs were said to be based on a true story. It's sad that Vue has taken this position, as it's bordering on insanity to point the finger at a film screening in the cinema being the cause for some nutters bringing machete's into the premises. It is not the first, nor the last movie about gang related violence.

Clockwork Orange was not banned, it was withdrawn from British release at the request of the director Stanley Kubrick. In part this was Kubrick’s response to allegations that the film was responsible for copycat attacks and violence.

Clockwork Orange was not banned, it was withdrawn from British release at the request of the director Stanley Kubrick. In part this was Kubrick’s response to allegations that the film was responsible for copycat attacks and violence.
100% correct and I think it was released again in 1999 after Kubrick had died.
I saw it first in 1971 when I was 15 and then saw it the second time in 1999/2000 when I was in my mid -forties.

Did they ban music when mods, rockers and teddy boys we knifing each other?

The film didn't cause the mass brawl, little wankers did, it has been playing in other areas with ni problems and it actually uses the story to show gangs are not cool.

Vue went OTT in their response, I have seen mass brawls in Openshaw, that stabbing in harpurey Mcdonalds the other week was the aftermath of a previous brawl the day before.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.