2019, Albums and Songs of the Year?

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
Only this:

Here without the beard. This lady is tipped for greatness. Totally awesome dude !

Last edited:
I’ve not heard that Nick Cave one yet, I’ll give it a go, cheers fella!

If you do, be prepared to give it a few listens. It's deceptively samey and the tracks seem undifferentiated at first. And it in no way resembles the more abrasive of Cave's releases, going all the way back to his time with The Birthday Party. I really didn't like it to begin with but have subsequently come to regard it as flawless.

If you do, be prepared to give it a few listens. It's deceptively samey and the tracks seem undifferentiated at first. And it in no way resembles the more abrasive of Cave's releases, going all the way back to his time with The Birthday Party. I really didn't like it to begin with but have subsequently come to regard it as flawless.
Often the way with all-time favourites. So many albums I love took me a while to love.

Don’t know whether it’s the complexity of the elements of songs that you just don’t hear at first; or just Mere Exposure Effect hitting you when you’re feeling a certain way with parts of songs resonating with familiarity at times you’re feeling happy or sad.

Certain tracks on certain albums can take years to notice but you realise they’re the best track on the album and some full albums have taken me a few years to really get into.

I might have to try it again but I found it unbearable. I received a special offer and thought I'd listen to it first. I couldn't even listen to any of the songs all the way through.

I was pretty much the same. Got bored with the tracks or thought they were lyrically banal. 'Wild Horses', in particular, had that initial effect.

And there are actually no guarantees that Ghosteen will improve on subsequent listens. For some, it doesn't seem to.

I have that problem more generally with Dylan, Cohen, and later, more avant-garde Scott Walker. I get that they are all significant but their music simply does not resonate with me at all.

But anyway, in my case, 'Galleon Ship' was the first song that finally got through to me. Then 'Ghosteen Speaks'. Then 'Leviathan'. Listened to those three in tandem a few times and the effect was mesmerising. Then, after that, the rest of the album gradually began to make sense.

One thing that may have helped was knowing a bit of theology. The mystical section of John's gospel (The Farewell Discourse) is something that I reckon may have influenced the lyrics to 'Ghosteen Speaks'. And I was already familiar with the story of Kisa Gotami from the Buddhist Pali Canon, which Cave deploys in the song 'Hollywood'. It truly is a 'spiritual' sort of album in a sense, and I am open to that kind of experience.

Reviews aren’t great for this but I think it’s another nice album:

Babe Rainbow “Today”
a2524169288_10.jpg

I was pretty much the same. Got bored with the tracks or thought they were lyrically banal. 'Wild Horses', in particular, had that initial effect.

And there are actually no guarantees that Ghosteen will improve on subsequent listens. For some, it doesn't seem to.

I have that problem more generally with Dylan, Cohen, and later, more avant-garde Scott Walker. I get that they are all significant but their music simply does not resonate with me at all.

But anyway, in my case, 'Galleon Ship' was the first song that finally got through to me. Then 'Ghosteen Speaks'. Then 'Leviathan'. Listened to those three in tandem a few times and the effect was mesmerising. Then, after that, the rest of the album gradually began to make sense.

One thing that may have helped was knowing a bit of theology. The mystical section of John's gospel (The Farewell Discourse) is something that I reckon may have influenced the lyrics to 'Ghosteen Speaks'. And I was already familiar with the story of Kisa Gotami from the Buddhist Pali Canon, which Cave deploys in the song 'Hollywood'. It truly is a 'spiritual' sort of album in a sense, and I am open to that kind of experience.
I think the loss of his son greatly influenced the album. Its an album that rewards multiple listens I think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.