Pep Guardiola - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah if the whole season goes like this then I hate to have these thoughts...

But he needs to do better, when we have this many poor games (basically 1.5 months, I haven't been impressed by the team in a while), it's always the managers fault.

Pep is god & always will be BUT it seems he’s making life very difficult for himself.

foden is his key this season and he just doesn’t want to use it. I’d also say not using Garcia or using Rodri at the back & push fern back in the middle makes very little sense to me & most fans that I spk with.

I also don’t understand playing raz or Kev tonight. They both look exhausted & we didn’t need to win tonight we had enough in Mahrez & foden who need games. I fear Kev & sterling are next to pick up an injury with no rest.

but I guess he always has gundy to rely on :-(

He’s got some big weeks ahead with some very tough games.

As well as us in the stands, he’s the one who’s got to work something out and get a the spark back in this team.

We look like a team who is just playing out the season... and it’s November!

Watching last night, it was striking how far we’ve moved, in terms of shape, from the 17/18 season. Then we had a solid base with the two centre halves and the fullbacks in narrow with Fernandinho, which meant we weren’t especially susceptible to counters. A balanced three in midfield, with Silva and De Bruyne taking up similar positions left and right. Sané and Sterling providing proper width and making non-stop runs in behind the fullbacks.

Last night we seems to play a kind of lopsided 4-2-3-1, with Gundogan deeper to the left of Rodri and De Bruyne pushed up almost as a centre forward to the right. Fullbacks spread wide across the pitch but not really offering anything going forward. Bernardo from the right bringing everything back inside (as Mahrez does). Far fewer runs in behind. Defence too deep and so a huge gap at the back of the midfield. No real balance and badly exposed to the counter whenever we lose the ball.

Not for a minute suggesting that the change in shape is the only, or even the main, reason we’re struggling at the moment. Not least as we’d already moved a bit in this direction last season and that turned out pretty well. And much if it has to do with injuries and availability, and the players themselves being off form / moving the ball so slowly, which exacerbates all the little weaknesses. Just that I felt the difference was really noticeable last night.

Watching last night, it was striking how far we’ve moved, in terms of shape, from the 17/18 season. Then we had a solid base with the two centre halves and the fullbacks in narrow with Fernandinho, which meant we weren’t especially susceptible to counters. A balanced three in midfield, with Silva and De Bruyne taking up similar positions left and right. Sané and Sterling providing proper width and making non-stop runs in behind the fullbacks.

Last night we seems to play a kind of lopsided 4-2-3-1, with Gundogan deeper to the left of Rodri and De Bruyne pushed up almost as a centre forward to the right. Fullbacks spread wide across the pitch but not really offering anything going forward. Bernardo from the right bringing everything back inside (as Mahrez does). Far fewer runs in behind. Defence too deep and so a huge gap at the back of the midfield. No real balance and badly exposed to the counter whenever we lose the ball.

Not for a minute suggesting that the change in shape is the only, or even the main, reason we’re struggling at the moment. Not least as we’d already moved a bit in this direction last season and that turned out pretty well. And much if it has to do with injuries and availability, and the players themselves being off form / moving the ball so slowly, which exacerbates all the little weaknesses. Just that I felt the difference was really noticeable last night.

Great post.

He needs to change it up, now - otherwise we could end up with 0 trophies this season. 2 seasons out of 4, would not be good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.