Wat-cha Readin - 4 ?

Although this is an old thread, I am glad that it has been revived. There are some excellent previous recommendations (Philip K. Dick, Bret Easton Ellis, Jon Ronson).

Anyway, just finished this:

thecornerstory1_1408950f.jpg

All the way through, I assumed that the main characters and events were fictitious. This is because - at certain points - the authors give accounts of what was going on in the minds of the people they were writing about, conveying their subjective impressions as it were, to a degree that seemed impossible in a work of non-fiction.

Turns out that they were all real. Everything that happens, happened. This makes the book a truly remarkable ethnographic study, perhaps the best that I have ever read. At the end, you will find out how Simon and Burns were able to write such an intimate, humanising portrait of the inhabitants of West Baltimore. I can also see now why the subjects of the book deserved to be treated at such length.

Given his subsequent extraordinary work in television, David Simon is worthy of the Nobel prize for literature in my view. And his recent, ferocious attacks on Trump in the wake of the comments the President made about the community depicted in this publication are all the more understandable, given that he and Burns succeed in arousing a good deal of 'sympathy for the Devil' on the part of the reader when it comes the the damaged, dysfunctional wannabe gangstas and unrelenting, manipulative drugs fiends who haunt these pages.

Above all, the book shows that there are no easy solutions to the systemic problems of drugs, violence and poverty that afflict communities like the one depicted.

I’m reading ‘Gone Fishing’ bob Mortimer and Paul whitehouse. Very easy read and a nice companion to their TV series.

Mrs Moon read A Gordie up the Gangees early this month on holiday, said it was excellent....I just do music in my phone while flying saves having to talk to cunts & missing the noise of screaming children with parents that don't give a shit.

Several books on the go

A book by Madness about their early years
One on the Wales team of 1976 which reached last eight of the European Championship
One on the Zebra Murders (1970s California)
Re listening to Syd Barrett audio book

Just finished Essex Boys the Last Word (Rettendon Range Rover murders 1995)

Eye of the Storm, by Peter Ratcliffe, ex-SAS, about his time in the regiment, none of the usual bullshit, bluster and bravado, which is refreshing, just his honest account, about a third through it so far, well worth a read.

About to finish "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett, will try to get copies of part 2 and part 3 of the "Century Trilogy". Found it by chance in a public bookcase and didn't know it was only the first part.

Eye of the Storm, by Peter Ratcliffe, ex-SAS, about his time in the regiment, none of the usual bullshit, bluster and bravado, which is refreshing, just his honest account, about a third through it so far, well worth a read.

Yes, interesting what he has to say about Bravo Two Zero.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.