Khaldoon interview on SSN

He'd have known that was coming, and he calming swept it away, him agreeing to do this with Sky rather than our own site, or the BBC is a stroke of genius, Sky have had no choice but to report it with top billing, it ruins all their shitty stories about Pep leaving and Sterling not staying, no one's talking about the Livarpool, Utd, Spurs or Chelsea, it's dropped in Champions league week, so UEFA will have to suck it up as well. World wide financial bodies and media have us ranked as the most valuable sporting organisation in the world, which will fuel greater investment and sponsorship from current and new sources. We are in very safe hands off the pitch and Pep hasn't done a bad job with the team on it.
He definitely knew the initial question was coming, as he did the vast majority, based on the negotiations the club would have undertaken with Sky to give the exclusive interview.

But I am very confident the follow up was not planned, and was just the interviewer trying to get a blockbuster quote from him about the investigation.

Luckily our chairman is a very intelligent person, very rarely rattled or goaded in to doing anything (rather, he is usually the one doing the goading), and so pushed through the temptation to commit murder.

I expect He new the questions before the interview.
There was only one that was unexpected (outside of those obviously agreed upon during negotiations for the exclusive interview) and he handled it well.

Despite what some embittered ****s may say on social media, our chairman always comes off as calm, astute, and forward-thinking.

You just have to look to the club based right outside of Manchester for examples of the opposite.

Next year's A-Level economics question: Compare and contrast the two recent interviews between Ed Woodward and Khaldoon. Why do you think Manchester City is the better run club...

He'd have known that was coming, and he calming swept it away, him agreeing to do this with Sky rather than our own site, or the BBC is a stroke of genius, Sky have had no choice but to report it with top billing, it ruins all their shitty stories about Pep leaving and Sterling not staying, no one's talking about the Livarpool, Utd, Spurs or Chelsea, it's dropped in Champions league week, so UEFA will have to suck it up as well. World wide financial bodies and media have us ranked as the most valuable sporting organisation in the world, which will fuel greater investment and sponsorship from current and new sources. We are in very safe hands off the pitch and Pep hasn't done a bad job with the team on it.

spot on

full transcript:

Khaldoon, thank you for speaking to Sky. I know this is your only broadcast interview following today's news. And it's big news. It's a deal that catapults City Football Group's valuation to almost $5bn. How big a validation is that of your strategy?

We're very excited. Thank you so much for allowing me on the show. It's been a wonderful journey over the last 10 or 11 years and I think this transaction is a testament to the journey that we've undertaken. When Sheikh Mansour bought the club back in 2008, he bought it with a view that this is going to be a profitable, sustainable business and I think we've done that. Over the last 10 years we've shown that this thesis is accurate and that it's right and this transaction is a further testament to this thesis.

Tell me, have you had talks with other potential investors? What was it that led you to Silver Lake in particular and why are they the right fit?

So Silver Lake I think is a world-class investor. We're delighted to have Silver Lake as part of the team here. Silver Lake is one of the global leaders in technology media, sports and entertainment investing. It's a US firm and we've quickly, through the conversations we've had over the last couple of months, come to the conclusion that we're a good fit for each other. I think they add a lot of value to the group, particularly as I look at the future and what we intend to do in the next 10 years. I think Silver Lake is the perfect fit and I think that with what they want and the type of investment they're viewing, City Football Group has proven to be a very good fit for them, so I think it was a very nice marriage between these two organisations.

You've invested significantly over the past 10 years both in the squad and infrastructure here at the Etihad. Thanks to the investment from Silver Lake you've got another $500m. How are you going to spend it?

Well we've been focusing over the last 10 years with a clear business plan, a clear investment strategy, a clear global strategy in terms of how we built our group from one team, in Manchester City, to a group of clubs around the world. We are leaders today in the football business globally. All these businesses are sustainable, are profitable. I think Manchester City is now five years in profitability so I think this sustainable model we've been working on has proven to be a success and Silver Lake sees that. The investment, this is $500m that Silver Lake is putting into the group, and we're not taking any money out. This investment money stays in the group and stays as part of our growth strategy for the future and we will continue down the route that we've started 10 years ago and as we look at the next chapter of this evolution which is the next 10 years, this investment will help fuel our growth.

Going back to when you first started, you were famously described as the "noisy neighbours" of your rivals across the city. How big a part does Silver Lake's investment play in bridging the financial gap with Manchester United?

Manchester United is a very successful organisation and has been over the years. I'd rather not talk about other teams and other organisations. I'm really just focused about what we do. And what we're doing is building a sustainable business that continues to grow and continues to be successful both on and off the pitch. And I look at what we've achieved over the last 10 years as a benchmark to build on for the next 10 years across the board in every single club that we've invested in.

As part of that building process over the last 10 years you've invested significantly. Does the ownership still have the desire to invest, to progress? And, if so, what is a realistic target for Manchester City over the next, say, 10 years?

I think this transaction is a testament to the appetite that this group has about the future. When we bring in another half a billion dollars of investment into the group and when we commit to keep that investment and not take out any of that, I think that in itself tells you how we see investing and how we see the future. We see this as a growing and attractive business to invest in. We've created the platform for that and I can certainly assure you we're focusing on the future, on growth and building on the strength that we've built over the years.

Of course, in all of this there is a backdrop of an ongoing UEFA investigation. The allegations against you have been widely publicised. They are namely that you've circumvented Financial Fair Play regulations. What do you say to those allegations?

I think our position on this is very clear. And we've made it explicit over the last couple of months. And given that there is a process underway it's very important for me to respect that process. Therefore I think it's not appropriate for me to comment other than we're respecting the process and we're going through the steps.

I understand you can't get drawn on specifics, but are you confident that the club will be cleared?

My position has been consistent on this and on the record and clear.

OK, let's get back to matters on the pitch. Raheem Sterling is often spoken about in the same breath as that elite band of footballers, namely Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. He signed a new contract last year. What can you do to ensure that Raheem is part of Manchester City's long-term future?

I'm very proud of what Raheem has done over the last couple of years. His evolution as a player, but more importantly as a person I think has been exceptional. He's become a leader both on and off the pitch. He's become a leader in this squad at Manchester City, he's becoming a leader at England serving his country. And I think he's been a leader in the community. I'm so happy for him because I think he's a wonderful young man and I think his talent, listen, there's one thing I'm sure of - Raheem is only going to improve and only going to grow as both a player and a leader so the future is incredibly bright for Raheem and it's a pleasure to have him as a part of our team.

Let's talk about that team for a minute. You look set to progress out of the group stages of the Champions League. You're in another epic title race. Are you concerned there's too much ground to make up on Liverpool? Have you spoken to the players and, if so, is there a belief they can retain their title again?

This team is a special team. I think what's been accomplished, of the last two seasons to be specific, is special. 198 points over two seasons. Back-to-back Premier League titles. Four trophies last year. This is really what's been accomplished so hats off to everyone involved in this organisation. And I think we've shown time and time again and this team has shown time and time again that you cannot write them off. This is a committed team, a disciplined team, a hardworking team with an exceptional manager.
I think in Pep we have a leader who has shown time and time again his ability to continuously evolve and continuously challenge and we've been in this position not once but many times before, and we've shown the character always consistently to come back. I think the Premier League is a very, very challenging league. That's why we all love this league. Winning it for the last two seasons is one of the most challenging endeavours that any person in sport can do. No doubt the challenge is there. We're up for it and there's still a long way to go, still in November and we'll see where we end up in May, but certainly we're up for it.

It's interesting, Khaldoon, hearing you speak about Pep, hearing everyone at the club speak about him and how central he is to everything here. He led Barcelona for four years, he was at Bayern for three years and he's been here just short of three years. How confident are you in his longevity and have you had any guarantees that he's going to be here for many years to come?

Pep has been an incredible asset to this organisation. We can speak about his managerial accomplishments for hours. But I think as a person, as an individual, as a friend, he's been a core part of what we've accomplished here over the last three years. He's very committed. We're committed to him. You've seen his interview a couple of days ago. We have a great relationship. We have a great environment here. The people around him, the team we have in place today, the relationships I have with them, this is really an environment that's conducive to success for both him and everyone involved in this organisation. So I'm very satisfied with his commitment and our commitment to him and I'm looking forward to the continuity of this for years to come.

Let's bring it back if we can to today's news. The valuation now of City Football Group is massive. How much is Pep Guardiola and his achievements at Manchester City a part of that valuation?

Pep's achievements I think, no doubt, are integral. I think what we've accomplished over the last couple of years is remarkable. And that has had, I think, an overwhelming influence for the whole group. But I think Pep will be the first one to say this is a team effort. This is a wonderful organisation we have. A group all over the world. We have 1,500 players plus, all over the world, part of this group. Over 2,000 employees globally. We have our teams playing over 2,500 games every year. So this is a magnificent organisation with people all over the world working together. Successful clubs from Manchester to New York to Melbourne to Yokohama, Japan.

To India?

India obviously is another market that we're looking at. This is a team effort and that's one of the things I'm most proud of that we have truly an A team across the board and that's been reflected in this valuation. And reflected in how a world-class US investor is putting $500m into this organisation at the valuation we're talking about. That's a testament to the strength and sustainability of this organisation.

And what's next for this organisation? As we briefly touched on there's been talk of a club in India. Is that close to happening?

When we look at growth we look at three major markets. The United States, China and India. And we've invested, obviously as you know, in New York, and that's our US presence in MLS. We've invested in China and certainly India is the next big market that we'd like to have a position in. That's been public. So I hope very soon we'll be able to make our move into that market and continue our growth trajectory in the right markets globally.
Thanks for posting. Great interview. Peps been with us for 3 1/2 years though hasn’t he? The interviewer got that wrong.

The moment our chairmen seriously considered throwing all of his life’s work away for the short and sweet satisfaction of strangling the interviewer...

—————————

Of course, in all of this there is a backdrop of an ongoing UEFA investigation. The allegations against you have been widely publicised. They are namely that you've circumvented Financial Fair Play regulations. What do you say to those allegations?

I think our position on this is very clear. And we've made it explicit over the last couple of months. And given that there is a process underway it's very important for me to respect that process. Therefore I think it's not appropriate for me to comment other than we're respecting the process and we're going through the steps.

I understand you can't get drawn on specifics, but are you confident that the club will be cleared?

My position has been consistent on this and on the record and clear.

I think that answer suggests we have a deal with UEFA. Khaldoon was very keen to say it very loud earlier but now it is diplomatic - there is process going on.

I think that answer suggests we have a deal with UEFA. Khaldoon was very keen to say it very loud earlier but now it is diplomatic - there is process going on.
I think between that answer and Ceferin being at the match last night, it is safe to say the club is confident there will be no real action taken by UEFA.

I just hope Ceferin doesn’t change his mind after our punishment of making him sit through that performance last night. ;-)

Incidently, this deal now appears to value the CFG at $5bn or £3.9bn

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.