Bring the Noise

I’ll let you all into a secret, I was on the megaphone. ;-)

I know, fire away. :-(

I appreciate people’s views and respect them.

There has been a lot of discussion with the club about the megaphone. It’s been on going for months.

It’s not a decision that has been made over night.

Both the club and 1894 have compromised on issues about using the megaphone, it’s location on the terraces, etc, until an agreement was finally reached.

Tonight was a trial of the megaphone. (and the drum)

Both 1894 and the club felt a CL match was the right match to trial both, as the atmosphere is usually pretty dire, if we’re being honest. As it was tonight.

A PL game was discussed, but the general consensus was PL games, especially the big PL games, tend to take care of themselves, as regards the atmosphere.

So tonight.

It was agreed the megaphone would be used sporadically, at certain times, and during certain chants. There where occasions when it did get over used. I’ll admit that.There were occasions when it didn’t have any effect. There were occasions when it did have an effect. It was a mixed bag tonight.

TBH, I was expecting some abuse, but the vast majority of people seemed ok with it, and apart from some light hearted banter, the megaphone seemed to go down ok? Maybe I’m wrong?

What feedback we did get, was that people at the back couldn’t really hear the megaphone. But when they did, they tended to join in. The Guardiola chant in the 2nd half being the best example.

Obviously 1894 and the club would like some honest and constructive feedback on the megaphone and the drum, regardless if it’s positive or negative.

Please don’t be abusive.

As I’ve already stated, it was a trial tonight.

Thanks.
Right idea but was executed poorly but it was a good start.

I was standing right near you lot and there was about six of u singing non stop so fair play for doing something new. Imo one reason for the overall poor atmosphere was that u were in 116 not 115 like usual, think it’s cos of that black tarp that’s always there on European games for some reason and that u were separated from the main singers at the back of 115.

The drummer also didn’t really know how to drum he has just smacking it when he felt like it, if were going to use a drum it needs to be done right by someone who knows what they are doing. The megaphone was also a step in the right direction and there were glimpses that it could work but for most of it especially in that ian chessman clip on twitter u were also watching the match at the same time, the whole point of having one is to work the crowd and if ur not engaging with them they’re not going to sing, the game wasn’t really worth watching anyway haha. U see with these European ultras they have a capo at the front that faces the crowd and doesn’t even watch the game.

Also think that it should be tried at a league game/ away game at some point.

Atmosphere won’t improve overnight stuff like this needs time to develop.

Right idea but was executed poorly but it was a good start.

I was standing right near you lot and there was about six of u singing non stop so fair play for doing something new. Imo one reason for the overall poor atmosphere was that u were in 116 not 115 like usual, think it’s cos of that black tarp that’s always there on European games for some reason and that u were separated from the main singers at the back of 115.

The drummer also didn’t really know how to drum he has just smacking it when he felt like it, if were going to use a drum it needs to be done right by someone who knows what they are doing. The megaphone was also a step in the right direction and there were glimpses that it could work but for most of it especially in that ian chessman clip on twitter u were also watching the match at the same time, the whole point of having one is to work the crowd and if ur not engaging with them they’re not going to sing, the game wasn’t really worth watching anyway haha. U see with these European ultras they have a capo at the front that faces the crowd and doesn’t even watch the game.

Also think that it should be tried at a league game/ away game at some point.

Atmosphere won’t improve overnight stuff like this needs time to develop.

The first thing that stands out is ‘6 of us’. That should resonate with everyone. 6!

TBH, there were more of us, as other people relocated to the front of 116. Think there was about 20-30 of us in total? Trevor has the numbers.

Once chants got going, plenty of other people behind us also joined in.

The agreement with the club was they would let us trial the megaphone, but we had to move to block 116, and further away from the European away fans.

In hindsight, with only 200 or so European away fans, I honestly and genuinely don’t think it would have mattered if we trialed the megaphone at the front of 115 last night. That’s where we normally stand for a CL match.

I accept the club think the megaphone (or Capo) would attract the attention of the more boisterous European Ultras.

However, if used correctly, and not directed towards the European Ultras, I don’t think there would be any problems.

1894 decided not to do the megaphone to death. We wanted to use it now and again, start songs off, join in with chants that had already been started by other fans, and just do a soft launch. It was never 1894’s or my intention to be a European style Capo, endlessly belting out chants that people wouldn’t join in with. I’d just end up p****ing everyone off. Especially as the first megaphone trial was during a dead rubber CL match.

Hopefully 1894, the club, and City fans in general (on BM), will think it’s worth giving the megaphone another go in the knockout stages of the CL next year?

Word might spread by then, and there might be more than 6 of us at the front? :-)

Thanks for the feedback.

Especially as the first megaphone trial was during a dead rubber CL match.

Why do you keep referring to the game as a dead rubber CL match?
It wasn't, both teams needed a result and even now all the other three teams in Group C have something to play for in the final game.

No wonder there is apathy towards the competition if our fan base don't understand it.

In the family stand last night, block 139, toward the back, heard the megaphone in the distance and the drum, the sound did carry and fair play to those trying to create an atmosphere. Like many, I ain’t no lover of the CL, poor game last night, poor atmosphere too, but thought the atmosphere on Saturday against Chelsea, given it was an evening game would be better than it was too.

I Was recently at the Atlético Madrid v Espanyol game and they use a drum from beginning to end, pretty good atmosphere, even though the stadium was not full, albeit the guys on the drums are up on a scaffolding platform above the fans, right at the front of the stand behind one of the goals, they do have a hardcore singing, jumping up and down and well involved.

We all know the answer, a hard core element given a section in 115/116, not sure how or what the 1894 group can do but the club need to listen to them/us.

Given the new investment announced today, perhaps the club will now lower/freeze season cards and give all new season card renewals a brand new megaphone, city song sheet, and a ‘when we were shit, dvd but sang our arses off, to remind people what we went through to get where we now are, instead of a metal case, scarf and badge! Just saying...Let’s be honest, the next home game will be totally different.

Why do you keep referring to the game as a dead rubber CL match?
It wasn't, both teams needed a result and even now all the other three teams in Group C have something to play for in the final game.

No wonder there is apathy towards the competition if our fan base don't understand it.

Fair enough.

But I don’t think the general apathy amongst the fans was down to the fact that our fans, or me in particular, didn’t understand the point you’re making. :-/ Maybe if City needed a win, rather than just draw to qualify for the knockout stages, the atmosphere might have been better? City are through to the knockout stages of the CL, which is the most important thing. Now they can concentrate on the PL, and hopefully catch Liverpool?

I think the megaphone can really be helpful. I don't know how people manage to sit near people singing and just watch whilst being in the singing section, but it will make it easier for everyone else to join and maybe persuade a few more people into joining. Are we allowed to have the flags up during the game or no? That would look nice if we can. The drums can also help but if used correctly by someone who can play. It will help us hold a song for longer and keep everyone in beat. Great job on all the work you have done jrb and the rest of the 1894.
Quick question: How many are in 1894 and do you meet outside of games to plan?
Thanks

Thank you for making the effort. I sit in East 3 and it’s always very quiet. It’s not only the “mature” supporters but the younger crowd are quiet. I don’t know the answer to lift the “noise” but anything and everything needs to be tried. There would be more atmosphere if the ground was empty.
At Maine Road the noise from the Kippax was great even though the football was poor. Now we are seeing the best football (and the best results) ever and it’s like a morgue. Please keep trying, one day we just might find some atmosphere.
Incidentally, the noise from the women‘s matches is much better even with very much smaller crowds. They do the club proud.

If you're going to do the drum and megaphone it needs doing properly. I stand in 114 row V nearer to the back, second half there was plenty of singing in 114/115, that's where you need your drum/megaphone. Halfway up block 115, the people at the back naturally sing anyway so they don't need convincing but it'll travel forward. The problem is when we start a song at the top, the bottom are always 3/4 seconds behind when they take it up. Having it all the way over in 116 or wherever it was was pointless. Get 114/115 booming and the rest will follow it'll spread. In regards to the drum, I think it's been previously said, it was just being beaten randomly and not in tune with the songs, who ever is doing it needs to get some actual beats going and to the songs. The 1894 are doing a cracking job, it just needs putting in the right place, midway up 115 to capture more people and tie in the top and bottom

A bit early doors yet, but City could filter fans if a new singing section was being introduced, when Safe Standing is brought in.

City are great at sending out email questionnaires. We’ve all had them.

So a new singing section questionnaire shouldn't be too difficult.

Obviously it would start off with the basics.

Are in favour or against a new safe standing swinging section? Those against, would then be discarded as potential fans who would be allocated a seat in the new singing section.

Do you sing constantly, occasionally or never? And so on.

Are you prepared to stand for 90 minutes in the singing section? And so on.

Would you be bothered by a megaphone, a drum or both? And so on.

Do you stay until the end of the match or leave early. And so on.

Etc, etc, etc.

I appreciate these are pretty basic questions, and people can lie just to get into any new singing section, but they would give the club a better chance of allocating a place in any new singing section to fans who want to sing.
Well done with all the stuff you trying out .Especialy drum & megaphone keep it going mate and don't listen to the doom and gloom merchants who do sweet fa

I think the megaphone can really be helpful. I don't know how people manage to sit near people singing and just watch whilst being in the singing section, but it will make it easier for everyone else to join and maybe persuade a few more people into joining. Are we allowed to have the flags up during the game or no? That would look nice if we can. The drums can also help but if used correctly by someone who can play. It will help us hold a song for longer and keep everyone in beat. Great job on all the work you have done jrb and the rest of the 1894.
Quick question: How many are in 1894 and do you meet outside of games to plan?
Thanks

I will try to answer the above and a few others as well that have built up.. Jrb near answered most questions, but a few more followed. Just to clarify also, we had 40 people move in to 116 Tuesday night, the club offered us 50 seats but only 40 fans came forward. In the knockout stages we are going to be offered 100 seats so please join in.

Reason as Jrb said that we are in 116 is that security whilst we have the megaphone trial wanted us further from the away end. The temptation of a fan grabbing the megaphone to abuse away fans had to be quashed. The club would be heavily fined by uefa if this happened. Once we build up trust it could change. Also 116 has better flexibility to group for us, 115 block has around 60 seats near the front a bit spread out, but 116 has 100 seats and all grouped in a block at the front. When we group in 115 for CL we still have random non singers with us who have season cards there.

Unfortunalty we will always have to have seat numbers, its from a security point of view. It would be better if we didnt, but cant change it.

1894 is fan based and a kind of open book rather than strict bunch of 100 fans that hang out together. It is open to anybody that wants to join in and help, we always need help. Hard to say how many of us there is really, match day waving flags and carrying banners around maybe 12 or 15, but we need more. There is a group of about 6 of us that have meetings with club and have been doing this 7 seasons now. If you see a couple of us in 115 with accreditation passes round our neck, it is not because we work for the club, it is to give us access to the storeroom and wonder in to tier two / edges of the pitch. We collect our passes on a game to game basis.

We try to have meetings before / after games, due to nobody showing up we have not done this for a while. Kick off times get changed, fans work shifts and beer time generally dictates who turns up. We certainly could do with an open meeting though. In general if anybody wants to help or chat, we are on the back of 115 concourse 90 mins before KO.

The drum has been given a bit of stick as in skills of the drummer / keeping in tune. I have spoken to decent drummers on match day, not a chance we can get a drum right due to songs only lasting 15 seconds, songs not having a drum beat, three songs being sung at once and if we are fortunate to have one song only it is being sung at three different paces in three different areas. I think the drum trial is over for a while, its not the right time and as explained the best drummer in england would struggle with how we are set out. In the stadiums where a drum works it is with long drum beat songs that go on for a minute or so and a good grouping of 200 or more fans.

This has probably been the best atmosphere thread on BM, been some good conversations going. We have gone round in circles and I think we all know that only by a re grouping in 115 / 114 and getting singers together will we progress.

If anybody has any ideas on how we can group in games better, please come forward with them. We are dictated and governed by health & safety / security / policing and season ticket availability. Please have this in mind.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.