CFG acquire Mumbai City - Yokohama J league champions

Are City greater as the kingpin of an international group, or are we weakened by subsidising loss-making international ventures?

There was much excitement when the $500m investment in CFG was announced, but this is the background: investments in clubs other than Man City. I can see that clubs like NYC may benefit from being linked to Man City, but do Man City see benefits?

I can think of the odd player e.g., Aaron Mooy, but generally, it looks like City are pumping money into overseas football clubs. There must be some synergies but they are vague. MBappe in a Man City shirt would not be vague.

I do like the idea of City being part of a big family of international clubs, but about 0.0001% of my emotional investment is vested with the overseas clubs, and the rest is with Man City. From what I understand all but Girona are loss-making, (and they were relegated and part-owned anyway), so wouldn't the fans of Man City be happier still if the US$500m went direct into Man City?

As we see with Man Utd, a poorly managed club can haemorrhage money. Can CFG really effectively managed a huge number of overseas football clubs? I doubt this model has much chance of success. People think Khaldoon etc is a genius, and super intelligent guy, well he may be but he only has two eyes and one brain and limited capacity to focus.

Generally, financial markets frown massively on companies that aggressively expand overseas because it is a managerial disaster.

Are City greater as the kingpin of an international group, or are we weakened by subsidising loss-making international ventures?

There was much excitement when the $500m investment in CFG was announced, but this is the background: investments in clubs other than Man City. I can see that clubs like NYC may benefit from being linked to Man City, but do Man City see benefits?

I can think of the odd player e.g., Aaron Mooy, but generally, it looks like City are pumping money into overseas football clubs. There must be some synergies but they are vague. MBappe in a Man City shirt would not be vague.

I do like the idea of City being part of a big family of international clubs, but about 0.0001% of my emotional investment is vested with the overseas clubs, and the rest is with Man City. From what I understand all but Girona are loss-making, (and they were relegated and part-owned anyway), so wouldn't the fans of Man City be happier still if the US$500m went direct into Man City?

As we see with Man Utd, a poorly managed club can haemorrhage money. Can CFG really effectively managed a huge number of overseas football clubs? I doubt this model has much chance of success. People think Khaldoon etc is a genius, and super intelligent guy, well he may be but he only has two eyes and one brain and limited capacity to focus.

Generally, financial markets frown massively on companies that aggressively expand overseas because it is a managerial disaster.

The main benefit of the other clubs for City is to do with sponsorship, it's basically just a marketing exercise. Being able to offer brands advertising to the UK, USA, India, China all at once with a CFG partnership as opposed to seeking out multiple deals with multiple independent clubs or only targeting one region.

We signed a deal with an agency to find us sponsorships in India in May, 6 months before even buying a club in India.

So City get the benefit because we get increased commercial revenue. Nissan's sponsorship for example probably came about because they part-own Yokohama Marinos.

There's also some feeder club benefits, like shared scouting networks and being able to pick up on emerging talents early in places like Uruguay and Spain. I would imagine long term, Girona, who basically share a population pool with Barcelona & Espanyol, could have a very productive academy if there's investment into it.

It's all Soriano's idea, he tried to do the same with Barcelona but they wouldn't back him.

Last edited:

Your negativity at times is unbelievable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.