City Football Group | Secure $650m loan facility for infrastructure projects (p 54)

I can't see why we can't have two major indoor arenas in Manchester, it would actually be great for the City, with two arenas we would hosts over 400 events annually, MEN hosts 250. If they can do it in Birmingham we can do it in Manchester. SMG wants to keep their monopoly so you should not really pay any attention to what they says about how Eastlands arena would kill central Manchester, its just their usual unethical comms tactics.

I think it will be interesting to see if Manchester can sustain two arenas. I also wonder if they can can design a new arena in a very clever way that makes if easy to flex the capacity of the venue so that it can move from 20k to say 3k or 4k, without hanging large black sheets in front of unused sections. They could kill the Apollo off as well as damaging the MEN; not that I wish either venue ill.

Re Oak view / stadium ...They could definitely help but then could so many other companies and they could do this regardless of an equity stake.

RE ownership / dividends Very true. Indeed as long as the Sheik contains 51% or a controlling stake (if shareholdings are very diluted among many owners you can control a company with an even smaller share) then they can do as they please. However, they will probably have given assurances regarding future business plans and how those investors will be ultimately rewarded. This could even take the form of allowing them to increase their equity stake in the future subject to certain criteria being met. Indeed, equity firms often take small stakes to start with until they understand the business then take a controlling stake or full ownership of the business. I am not saying this will happen, but it does open up that possibility and it is something we haven't had to think about before

You could regard all of this as almost inevitable because you could argue that at the end of the day our owners would have to free up some of the capital they have put into the business and it would be too good to be true for it to continue as it was. However, that doesn't make it good news and I personally would prefer a partner that wasn't primarily a Finance house and was able to offer an alliance which was obviously much more strategic in terms of their core / underlying business. A good example of that would be the Chinese deal that was done or a deal with a pure media giant. But I guess it depends what was on the table at the time ...
If we were a publicly listed company, I could understand your concerns of venture capitalists gradually increasing their stake and launching a hostile takeover, just like what happened to our unfortunate neighbours over the border in Trafford.

But Sheikh Mansour is one of the richest men on the planet. Some estimates have his families fortune in the region of £555bn. This isn’t Michael Knighton we’re talking about here.

He’s invested about £1.2bn of his own money in to the club, he’s already clawed back £800m of that and he still owns a 75% stake. Why on earth would he want to sell to venture capitalists?

He certainly doesn’t need the money. And even if he did, he’d be better off holding out for the long game as football explodes in the US, Australia, China, India etc.

We’re building an entertainment brand that’s going to have an on-the-ground presence in the biggest commercial and entertainment markets in the world - Europe, US, China and India. It looks like with Oak View we’re going to be combining world class football and world class entertainment through their partnership with Live Nation.

He’s building the Disney World of football for the next 100 years. You need to think bigger than Lou Macari’s Chippy and Pot Noodle partners.

He’s building the Disney World of football for the next 100 years. You need to think bigger than Lou Macari’s Chippy and Pot Noodle partners. (-:

True but to be honest although it helps I don't think whatever we do at the stadium will drive and fuel our global ambitions . But every bit helps

Last edited:
I don't know where to post this so it might as well go here.
Has anyone written a book that covers all this from the beginning, the business idea of Soriano/Bergestein (sp) whilst at Barca, how they found the Sheikh and the start of the ADUG takeover until as near present as can be ?

It would be a fascinating read.
Sorriano wrote a book called “Goal: The Ball Doesn’t Go In By Chance” or something similar.

It’s a great read. It’s mainly about his time at Barca, but it goes in to quite a bit of depth about his strategy as a CEO, and a lot of the things he says you can see applied directly to City.

He mentions his idea of launching a Barcelona team in Miami and the whole “global / local” idea he’s applied to City’s expansion.

Also some interesting bits on football operations strategy. He absolutely lauds Txiki in it, saying how important he was to Barca and the strategies they use in negotiations / recruitment of players and managers.

interestingly, the book was released when Fergurson was still at the helm at the Swamp. Sorriano says it’s incredible how successful he’s been, but having an all powerful manager for so long will cause huge problems down the line when he leaves which could take many years to rectify. His words have been prophetic.

Christ now i am coming across as a know it all ...

Well if you're going to post the following then what can you expect?

If you want to compare your credentials to mine in terms of finance just ping me a PM ...

No KTG I am not but I worked in Finance for over 25+ years (which makes me worse than a rag at least to some ) as a director for a company (which never had a single taxpayer dollar) with nearly $1.5 trillion dollars under management so I do have some understanding of the topic in question and hence views on the subject

You keep ignoring the fact that this investment would seem to be a strategic investment from both sides with Sheikh Mansour retaining full control. Given the insight provided by @Keith Moon who appears genuine surely you can see the positives from this collaboration?

I think it will be interesting to see if Manchester can sustain two arenas. I also wonder if they can can design a new arena in a very clever way that makes if easy to flex the capacity of the venue so that it can move from 20k to say 3k or 4k, without hanging large black sheets in front of unused sections. They could kill the Apollo off as well as damaging the MEN; not that I wish either venue ill.
There's absolut no risk that a new arena at Estlands would kill MEN, they are operated by the worlds largest venue management-company, its a little bit like when McDonalds builds a restaurant next to Burger King. Live Nation who will be backing our new arena owns the Apollo, so they are safe. Even if its possible to flex the cap you don't really hire a 20k arena to do a 3k show.

Last edited:
Even if Silver Lake's intention is to recoup their investments in dividends, then the amount of profit we would be making would be beyond belief . A 10% share of dividends to recoup $1/2 billion would mean profits from the CFG (City are the only profitable part ATM) would have to be in the $00's millions every year.
So if a cash return was the reason - and that seems generally what people consider to be the worst possibility - then it's still great news for us. If we were to make that kind of profit then we'd have to be one hell of a football team and East Manchester become a money making Mecca.
And even if the most disastrous events should come about I will be forever grateful to Monsour bin Zayed Al Nahyan for giving us better football than I could have ever dreamed of. Thank you Sheikh Monsour.

Well if you're going to post the following then what can you expect?

You keep ignoring the fact that this investment would seem to be a strategic investment from both sides with Sheikh Mansour retaining full control. Given the insight provided by @Keith Moon who appears genuine surely you can see the positives from this collaboration?

The combined enterprise value of the 32 most prominent European football clubs increased nine % in 2018, and has grown 35% over the past three years. This growth rate contrasts with the fortunes of European stocks in the same period, the Europe 50 Index value fell 13% in 2018
Given the current levels of growth in the sports market, an investment in a football club is a smart portfolio choice, and the holy grail for the PE investors is CFG.

You have to remember that they've been pummeled with anti-city bollocks for 12 years and now just reply instinctively.

Most people dont even engage their critical thinking when things like this come up, it's just City+Financial story = Bollocks/Fiddling the numbers/sugar daddy.

I've seen people saying this is a money laundering today - which is simply a buzzword to do with Abramovich taking over Chelsea in 2003, but it all gets slumped in together, same with qatar stuff, and then gets churned out together in a anti new money word salad.
So many people simply don’t understand what money laundering actually is.

It drives me mental.

Re Oak view / stadium ...They could definitely help but then could so many other companies and they could do this regardless of an equity stake.

RE ownership / dividends Very true. Indeed as long as the Sheik contains 51% or a controlling stake (if shareholdings are very diluted among many owners you can control a company with an even smaller share) then they can do as they please. However, they will probably have given assurances regarding future business plans and how those investors will be ultimately rewarded. This could even take the form of allowing them to increase their equity stake in the future subject to certain criteria being met. Indeed, equity firms often take small stakes to start with until they understand the business then take a controlling stake or full ownership of the business. I am not saying this will happen, but it does open up that possibility and it is something we haven't had to think about before

You could regard all of this as almost inevitable because you could argue that at the end of the day our owners would have to free up some of the capital they have put into the business and it would be too good to be true for it to continue as it was. However, that doesn't make it good news and I personally would prefer a partner that wasn't primarily a Finance house and was able to offer an alliance which was obviously much more strategic in terms of their core / underlying business. A good example of that would be the Chinese deal that was done or a deal with a pure media giant. But I guess it depends what was on the table at the time ...
It may be more strategic than you give it credit for. Silverlake are reported to be moving in the direction of entertainment broadcasting etc. and putting less emphasis on pure technology. What we don't know is how CFG/Silverlake see their future together.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.