FA Cup 3rd round draw Monday 7pm

Well you learn something new every day. I remember after getting beat by Spurs in 1981 that we were chanting we'll be back next year(ala 1955/56).
And then promptly got beat in the 3rd round in Jan 1982,at home by Coventry City I think.

Yes, 3-1 and Peter Bodak scored a great goal for Coventry to see us off.

As FA Cup holders I hope we put up a better defence of the trophy than we did in 2011-2012. I would hope for the semi-final at least.
If we are only getting to the semi final may as well get knocked out in January and take the rest days.

Well you learn something new every day. I remember after getting beat by Spurs in 1981 that we were chanting we'll be back next year(ala 1955/56).
And then promptly got beat in the 3rd round in Jan 1982,at home by Coventry City I think.

Pedantic twat alert, but the defeat to Cov (in which Asa Hartford was sent off just after we got it back to 2-1 for twatting their full-back Danny Thomas off the ball, thus sabotaging our chance of a comeback) was actually in the fourth round.

In the third round, we beat Cardiff City 3-1 at Maine Road in a match notable for Tony Book's return after he became assistant manager at the Welsh club. IIRC, we'd also sold Dave Bennett to Cardiff the previous summer and I think he played (can't remember whether his brother Gary, who we let go on a free and also signed for Cardiff, was in the side as well), as did ex-City 'keeper Ron Healey.

I think an away tie (at some point this season) at Anfield with 6000 Blues ballooning about and making a racket will create a different feel to what we’ve had in Prem and CL games there.

A win there in the FA Cup could change our whole mental block when it comes to that ground.

We had mental blocks at other grounds (Arsenal, United, even Boro and Everton) but have smashed through them. Maybe it’s a big FA Cup 1/4 final win there that will set us on our way to one of our final two mental blocks (Anfield and the CL).

Got to get past Yeovil Sunderland and Barnsley before then, mind.
Already past Sunderland, they're out rd1 replay to our old friends Gillingham

Pedantic twat alert, but the defeat to Cov (in which Asa Hartford was sent off just after we got it back to 2-1 for twatting their full-back Danny Thomas off the ball, thus sabotaging our chance of a comeback) was actually in the fourth round.

In the third round, we beat Cardiff City 3-1 at Maine Road in a match notable for Tony Book's return after he became assistant manager at the Welsh club. IIRC, we'd also sold Dave Bennett to Cardiff the previous summer and I think he played (can't remember whether his brother Gary, who we let go on a free and also signed for Cardiff, was in the side as well), as did ex-City 'keeper Ron Healey.
Well remembered, I could have sworn that the Coventry game was 3rd round. I remember being very disappointed at the time ,I was hoping that we had a good enough club/team to be frequent visitors to Wembley again(we were there in 69/70/74/76).
Little did I know that it would be 30 years before our next visit.That is why I always savour and enjoy every visit to Wembley,even on the odd occasion we get beat.
As regards the Cardiff City 3-1 game,I had completely forgotten about it. However it was almost 40 years ago,and alot those games in the late 70s/early 80s all seem to blur into one in my distant memory.

Wasn't it Foy who sent Vinnie off early doors for a fairly innocuous tackle?

Yep, and we absolutely battered them for the rest of the game and shit themselves that we almost brought it back with 10 men.
I remember coming away from that game feeling like we'd morally beat them and you could see how much the power shift had changed!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.