Should we prioritise Champions League now?

Well, on paper this is spot on. But it’s a knock out tournament. We don’t know what the draw will look like for us or for others. We should be getting some key players back which I think will help a lot. We could get lucky while others get unlucky. We don’t really have much choice now about which to focus on. Mostly I want to see us playing entertaining footy and working to compete. I doubt many we’ll face in the round of 16 or beyond if we make it will play pack-the-box football which has been our undoing, but maybe some will.
Problem is that with our style of play we literally have zero chance unless we are bang on form. Given Guardiola doesn't do cautious, id say our chances of winning the CL are slim, unless of course we find our form again quickly. With cautious football anything could be possible even if not in good form, under Pellegrini we were shit in his final year, but got to CL semi final due to playing cautious football. Chelsea in 2012 another example.

things might look bleak now but there are sone reasons for optimism...First, there's time to gain form til the knockout phase, second, dont underestimate the players motivation, they've dominated england but have something to prove in the champions league, they'll be very hungry to win this competition. Also, pep will probably be able to rotate the squad more and manage minutes if the gap to liverpool stays the same

Last, but not least, you might find it hard to believe but last time i checked city was the bookies favorite to win the champions league. lets hope they're right

We have a chance but with injuries a leaky defence and the fact that UEFA dont like us it's unlikely we will win it.

Thanks, we have to be honest. We couldn't win it when we were at our peak the last two years and even with everyone fit again, although stronger, I still don't think we would be strong enough. Unless Cancello, Rodri, Mendy, Walker, Jesus and Stones show something they haven't really so far, that gives you the extent of the rebuild needed. Add to that an ageing Silva, Aguero and Fernandinho and possibly Gundolan and we just aren't good enough at the very top level. Cancello and Rodri may come good as they haven't been here long but at the moment it's a big may.

Posts like this are never popular. It doesn't mean I support the team any less, or am a Johnny come lately, or spoilt. I have been here 51 years and seen plenty of bad times. Sometimes you have to take the blue specs off and be brutally honest. I am sure in private Pep is doing the same.

Chelsea did it with an old under performing team and a clueless di matteo as the teams manager

Chelsea did it with an old under performing team and a clueless di matteo as the teams manager

They certainly did and of course we could do it. I seem to remember one game I think they were down to ten men and Torres broke away in injury time to score the winner. Laporte and Zinchenko's return should improve the defence, Sane if he stays gives us much needed direct pace in attack. A bit of luck as well and who knows? I just don't see it unfortunately.

Not a f***ing chance!

Last season was our best ever chance.

Pep making changes at Spurs in the 1st leg, 2 soft goals and not taking our chances in the in the 2nd leg cost us, cost us.

Looking at the CL this season, and the teams we could draw in the last 16, let alone in the rounds after that, the CL looks really hard this season.

With everyone fit by February , and the team playing well again, we might stand a chance. As of now, and if the players and the teams current form continues, not a hope in hell.

Not a f***ing chance!

Last season was our best ever chance.

Pep making changes at Spurs in the 1st leg, 2 soft goals and not taking our chances in the in the 2nd leg cost us, cost us.

Looking at the CL this season, and the teams we could draw in the last 16, let alone in the rounds after that, the CL looks really hard this season.

With everyone fit by February , and the team playing well again, we might stand a chance. As of now, and if the players and the teams current form continues, not a hope in hell.

We’ve let 5 goals in at Norwich and Newcastle. Goals that these shit teams didn’t have to work particularly hard for - given that even at our best we ship goals in this competition, it looks like a pipe dream

It goes back to signings. Since Laporte we haven’t bought anyone better than we had.

Is Mahrez better than Sterling or B.Silva? Is Cancelo better than Walker or Danilo? Is Rodders better than Fern?

I accept its early days for some and there is a need to build a squad but surely not at the expense of the obvious gaping holes that already existed

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.