The Maths Thread

I'd be inclined to agree with your son.
Ho isn't a number nor does it have a numerical value.
If we take the word Ho as one word (and apply a numerical value to it of 1 as it is one word) then it would be correct as 1 cubed is 3.
1 cubed is 1.

My wife bought my son a tee shirt with a picture of Father Christmas and the text HO3, with the 3 in superscript text. We had a discussion yesterday whether the formula was correct or not.

Both me and my elder son thought the formula should be HO3, [or possibly (HO)3, 3(HO), 3HO]. My son, who is in year 2 studying maths at MMU said we could drop the brackets as the H and O were a single entity because each letter did not have a given distinct meaning or value. Fair enough.

He also argued that the formula was correct. We said it wasn't because it meant HO cubed, which wouldn't necessarily result in HO being said three times. He argued that didn't matter because HO was not a numerical expression.

All a bit confusing for me. Anyone able to shed any light on this? This picture shows the formula, but the model isn't my son, and it isn't the exact same shirt.

55454297912b25aca47474e8bd431018.jpg
What is the probability of bumping a thread exactly one year to the day of its last posting?

True story, an old colleague of mine at the Bookmakers William Hill got sacked, prosecuted and jailed for stealing 8k in the mid 80’s (was a substantial amount then).

Whilst he was in prison the Area Manager, a right old character Joe from Northern Ireland bumped into his Mrs in Stockport, he asked how she and the kids were coping, she said everything was ok but her husband was going back into engineering when he finished his sentence and he was allowed out to do a day release course (literally).

Joe said “that’s good, at least if he’s 8 thousand out he won’t get 2 years in jail”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.