Emotionally connected to City..!

I'm going to be completely honest here and say I'm beginning to lose it.

Season ticket holder for over 20 years from the late 80's through to 2007 when i moved out to South Africa and when we moved back to the UK in early 2012 i got my season ticket back but only had it for the one season as i honestly did not enjoy the match day experience that City had become all about and with moving to Scotland and work and family commitments i let it go again and since then I've gone the odd game but that is it.

The way the game has gone, Refs, VAR, us constantly being fucked over both domestically and in Europe has seen my love of football in general wane to the point i am now at where i can honestly take it or leave it and i certainly dont get upset any longer about a shit result like yesterday as there are more important things in life.

Yes i have enjoyed our success but then supporting City as a match going fan home and away for over 20 years was never about success for me. It was about the buzz of the working week leading up to a game, knowing you had tickets if it was an away, travelling with mates, having a few scoops and then watching us (get beat more often than not) but really enjoying every single minute of it.

Honestly i wouldn't have a season ticket given me now and whilst that is sad, its the gods honest truth.

Season ticket holder for over 20 years from the late 80's through to 2007 when i moved out to South Africa and when we moved back to the UK in early 2012 i got my season ticket back but only had it for the one season as i honestly did not enjoy the match day experience that City had become all about and with moving to Scotland and work and family commitments i let it go again and since then I've gone the odd game but that is it.

The way the game has gone, Refs, VAR, us constantly being fucked over both domestically and in Europe has seen my love of football in general wane to the point i am now at where i can honestly take it or leave it and i certainly dont get upset any longer about a shit result like yesterday as there are more important things in life.

Yes i have enjoyed our success but then supporting City as a match going fan home and away for over 20 years was never about success for me. It was about the buzz of the working week leading up to a game, knowing you had tickets if it was an away, travelling with mates, having a few scoops and then watching us (get beat more often than not) but really enjoying every single minute of it.

Honestly i wouldn't have a season ticket given me now and whilst that is sad, its the gods honest truth.
I know a lot of us older lot who are feeling the same way. Funny how we’re playing the best football in our entire history, yet many go to games now out of pure habit. Perhaps it says a lot about the psyche of the average City fan, that we look back at the shite 80’s with fondness.

The love you have for your football club is the same kind of love you have for your kids, but not the same as the way you love your wife.
Kids can delight you, or they could disappoint you but the love you have remains unconditional.
You can change your partner if things aren't going well, but you wouldn't change a kid for another. Same with your club.

think that was mistake to show that post my new wife...….

It's highly addictive, should come with a government health warning. Seeing my kids being born tops everything, but investing in this fine football club runs it close, very close.

my emotions have changed since I have got older and become a husband and a dad. It was very important to me that my kids follow the family in supporting City, plus with my kids being the first born outside of Manchester I was keen for them to understand our family roots. My eldest lost interest in cycling some 2 years ago and is now fully focused on City just like I was as a young man, I see a lot of me in him. I started taking him at the age of 6 to at least 2 games a year (600 mile round trip). When he got to about 18 family life got difficult and with less money we couldn't go. Now he gets me to at least 10 home games a year, and my new missus is fined with us having father and son time. when I am at the match its like the old days for me if sometimes abit quite !. But the one big thing that has happen to me as I get older is should City lose I am back to normal in around an hour or two (unless its the dippers) where as when I was younger like my son it could take till the next game , I don't know how I made it through the 80's and 90's lol. It s very hard to tell my son to snap out of it when he is doing the same as me at his age. Its nice to see my son now investing as much love and time into our club like i do, like his late grandads did and his great grandads.

There is a much bigger picture than just the enjoyment of the game. The connection to family past and present is huge (massive)!! I went to games as a youngster with my dad who died many years ago and I feel that strong connection to him still when I go. I now go with my boys and it’s time that we spend together, in elation or having a good moan. It hurts when we lose, and my mood is not good, but in true blue style we fans find a way to laugh it off and make fun of ourselves - eventually! I’ve been tempted to give it up as the stress is sometimes too much, but like others have said it’s an addiction. Somehow yesterday’s result was easier to take as it was all down to ourselves and not being shafted by refs etc!

We forget that sometimes how we feel about City is sometimes a reflection of us and not City.

Aesthetically football gets better every season. The physical commitment and technical levels get ever better. I watch old games like the '66 World Cup Final and I think this is garbage. It's like watching an old film, or a sci-fi series that you watched as a kid. Space 1999 or Blakes 7. Complete rubbish if you watched them now. At the time though it was good.

Absolutely the same as this.

Havent watched a game since the Bernado suspension was dished out. That along with what you say has really killed it for me.

It does leave a big hole but I just cant get enthusiastic about the game now not only is it clearly bent beyond imagination but that it has now become a big propaganda vehicle to tell you whom and who you should like and how you should behave. Its not footballs job to do that, its schools and parents who should be doing that.

Disappointment follows defeat but is an expression of commitment not lack of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.