Emotionally connected to City..!

I'm going to leave this here. It's such a shame that the great players we have had here of late..Sergio, Kompany and Silver. How wonderful it would have been to unleash the kippax on these amazing players. They would have adored the kippax back at Maine road and the kippax back at them. The noise from that stand would have been the loudest anywhere in the world watching these players and a very successful man city team.

Absolutely the same as this.

Havent watched a game since the Bernado suspension was dished out. That along with what you say has really killed it for me.

It does leave a big hole but I just cant get enthusiastic about the game now not only is it clearly bent beyond imagination but that it has now become a big propaganda vehicle to tell you whom and who you should like and how you should behave. Its not footballs job to do that, its schools and parents who should be doing that.

I to a degree feel the same but I think its more down to how draining the last 14 games were, I am still knackered from them and am finding really hard to get going this season that said I do believe that VAR has played apart in that, this season is more bent than normal.

I know a lot of us older lot who are feeling the same way. Funny how we’re playing the best football in our entire history, yet many go to games now out of pure habit. Perhaps it says a lot about the psyche of the average City fan, that we look back at the shite 80’s with fondness.

I think it was about alot more than the football back then. It was about groups of mates going every week, home and away, it was about a day out, having a laugh, bumping into some amazing characters on your travels.

Most of the people who made the game what it was back then have been priced out. How many 17yr to 30 year olds can afford to do what we did back then? The game has changed rather more of the field than on it and whilst in someways it needed to, it has gone way too far. Those lads who back in the 80s went home and away their equivalent today meet at the pub to watch because its simply not possible to do what we did back in the day and going to the match itself is for the wealthy.

It's tough to get the balance right.

City aren't playing well right now, but we are still in a better place than we have been at almost any time in our history. We have some truly outstanding players and the quality of the football is off the scale compared to back in the day. We have a stadium where you've a decent view from every seat (no more being stuck behind a pillar) and there's even legroom - something that only applies at OT if you're 4' 11" tall or less.

OTOH, VAR spoils the game, it's obvious that the powers-that-be hate us (or our owner) the club is more and more about "corporates" and I hate the cheesy "entertainment" and deafening music that is so much part of the modern product. And getting to and from the ground by public transport is a ballache at my age.

I still have a strong emotional attachment but I've lost a lot of passion for the game. For the price of admission to a typical league game I could take my missus out for a fairly decent meal (we don't drink above the odd half for me nowadays) and - dare I be frank? - I think the latter is better value and fairer on the missus. Before anyone says "You could get a really good value season ticket", yeah, maybe, but I don't want to go regularly any more given that so many of the kick-offs are at stupid, inconvenient times. It's an age thing. I'm an old git now, and the days when my idea of a good weekend was to travel all over the country, getting bladdered and watching City play abysmally are long gone.

I think it was about slot more than the football back then. It was about groups of mates going every week, home and away, it was about a day out, having a laugh, bumping into some amazing characters on your travels.

Most of the people who made the game what it was back then have been priced out. How many 17yr to 30 year olds can afford to do what we did back then? The game has changed rather more of the field than on it and whilst in someways it needed to, it has gone way too far. Those lads who back in the 80s went home and away their equivalent today meet at the pub to watch because its simply not possible to do what we did back in the day and going to the match itself is for the wealthy.
Would you describe City's crowd as wealthy? I wouldn't. Football is very much a working class game and always has been. OK at the fringes there's your hospitality suites but they've always been there. Look around you next time you queue up at the turnstile. It's exactly the same crowd as was going in the 70s and 80s. The same people grown old and their children.

I’m nowhere near the fan I was but City have been with me for longer than any friend or lover. Family comes first but then it’s football.

I to a degree feel the same but I think its more down to how draining the last 14 games were, I am still knackered from them and am finding really hard to get going this season that said I do believe that VAR has played apart in that, this season is more bent than normal.

Its not VAR that is the problem really its the bent twats that operate it and those whom instruct them. I just dont see the point of watching something that is absolutely bent. Nor can I support something in which a bloke wrongly gets labelled a racist and everyone is ok with it, lets kick it into the long grass and move on just to keep the peace.

I've got over yesterday, and let's not forget we'd have pawned the kids in days gone by for a draw at NUFC. Didn't get to me as much as the '55 Final did! I'm off to The Academy now for some more sky blue blessings, spiritual uplift and general succour (and I've spelt that last word correctly!)

Would you describe City's crowd as wealthy? I wouldn't. Football is very much a working class game and always has been. OK at the fringes there's your hospitality suites but they've always been there. Look around you next time you queue up at the turnstile. It's exactly the same crowd as was going in the 70s and 80s. The same people grown old and their children.

Yes I do think they are relatively wealthy if you can afford £50 every week to watch a game thats before the beer drinks food travel you are not bad off in my view. Back in the 80s you would have groups of young blokes all out of the same pub/village on station platforms and bus stops going every week. As a 15yr old I did a bit of part time work and it financed me going all over with City and often taking in a match at County or Macc as well.

Of course its not just the price of the tickets now its the prie of fuel, transport, refreshments the lot.....

Those parents and kids you talk about are certainly well off as the parent will no doubt be paying for the kids too.

I think you are a tad wide of the mark when suggesting football at at least the top two divisions are for the working class its simply not true.

Yes I do think they are relatively wealthy if you can afford £50 every week to watch a game thats before the beer drinks food travel you are not bad off in my view. Back in the 80s you would have groups of young blokes all out of the same pub/village on station platforms and bus stops going every week. As a 15yr old I did a bit of part time work and it financed me going all over with City and often taking in a match at County or Macc as well.

Of course its not just the price of the tickets now its the prie of fuel, transport, refreshments the lot.....

Those parents and kids you talk about are certainly well off as the parent will no doubt be paying for the kids too.

I think you are a tad wide of the mark when suggesting football at at least the top two divisions are for the working class its simply not true.
It is 100% true. I go to every home game and it's the same crowd that's always been going. They are mostly season ticket holders anyway, and for those who go away following City is what they do because there are few things better to do with your money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.