Pep's Buys - Worst and Best?

He’s regressed horrifically since we first signed him, there are loads of central defenders playing for lower level Prem sides that I’d have in place of him, day in day out.
He’s been playing really well since he came back from injury. Yesterday was a bad mistake but his general play on the ball, he was one of the better performers in the team.

Mistakes like yesterday seem to stick with players like Stones, but not with players like Kompany, everyone forgets mistakes made when they aren’t the scapegoats who make them.

Stones played as well against Chelsea last week as I’ve ever seen him in a City shirt.

And play any of those given players you’d rather have in our high line and you’d regret it, no way on Earth could most of the league’s players play in our defence. Loads of defenders can look good sat in their 18 yard line all game but try covering as much ground and being involved in play in the opposition half as much as our centre halves have to be and they’d look like a joke every week.

Stones might make mistakes but no more frequently than any City centre half we’ve had playing like we do.

Look at Kompany, even just off the top of my head:
Watford away last season
United away three years ago in the EFL Cup
A mistake at [Burnley, was it? Maybe Palace, can’t remember now] where he went missing out of the back line on the half way line trying to make a tackle and they bypassed him and scored
Liverpool away scuff to Coutinho
Scuffed half volley into his own net at Fulham

There are probably a dozen more if I really thought about it.

Stones makes those mistakes and he’s absolutely crucified - Kompany not so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i rate Gundo and i'm glad he's at our club.
He doesn't seem to moan and just gets on with it, even when he's asked by Pep to do a job that doesn't particularly suit his strengths.
The whole team seem off the pace this season but Gundogan seems to be a be the player who mostly get's the abuse

I don't want a centre-back at City.

Injury can take your best players, and yes we need cover but in 6 months we will have the cover. We didn't buy Maguire because he was over-rated and also because we know wer have two outstanding young centre-backs. Perhaps we should call on them now?

I get what you're saying Marvin. We're out of the title race now and it's no good panicking buying a CB in Jan. Eric will be back soon and we'll have youngsters plus Ota as back ups. The problem is, that may not be strong enough to challenge the elite in Europe this season. Do we write this season off and just make sure we get top four and maybe one of the domestic cups ? That way we can get the CB and a quality LB we really need in the summer? It maybe our best option to start the rebuild.

Well, i rate Gundo and i'm glad he's at our club.
He doesn't seem to moan and just gets on with it, even when he's asked by Pep to do a job that doesn't particularly suit his strengths.
The whole team seem off the pace this season but Gundogan seems to be a be the player who mostly get's the abuse
Its pathetic really, that's because no one wants to admit that our veteran players relapsed form is doing more harm than Gundogan football IQ.

I can't believe the negativity, one of them chances goes in Newcastle are lost and no one would be on hear handing Liverpool the title. We are still dominating games and creating lots of chances.

I can't believe the negativity, one of them chances goes in Newcastle are lost and no one would be on hear handing Liverpool the title. We are still dominating games and creating lots of chances.

We can create as much as we want but if we can't put on the ball in net it doesn't matter.

Nolito
Bravo
Mendy
Mahrez
All no better than what we had

I'd say Mendy is worse than what we had and I wasn't a fan of kolarov but at least he could tackle and put in a decent cross from time to time

Mahrez is as frustrating as navas as well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.