Rodri - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If any of them had a brain defensively one of them would have been stood on the edge of the box so that free kick was never on. Not as if there wasn't plenty of time before it was taken.Then If you're going to shit yourself from a ball then there is no point going towards it anyway.

I agree with your first point, but how can we expect Rodri to cover for a cross then rush out to block a potential shot. This is either Pep’s mistake for not coaching the players correctly or someone in the team forgot about their role on set pieces. Yes Rodri didn’t fully commit but he still was the only player to rush out for the block while the others had their thumbs up their arses. For that goal a lot more blame should be on others who didn’t help.

He was the only player to recognise the danger and make an attempt to block his shot. Perfect strike from Shelvey, just like Kevin’s. No need to scapegoat Rodri for being the only defensive player with a brain.

oh don’t get me wrong. The are all culpable
For that one. How many times would you see a player have that much time to line up
A shot on the edge of the area. It’s pathetic from all of them. They basically
Tossed 2 Points down the shitter

oh don’t get me wrong. The are all culpable
For that one. How many times would you see a player have that much time to line up
A shot on the edge of the area. It’s pathetic from all of them. They basically
Tossed 2 Points down the shitter
That goal summed up the performance yesterday, absolutely criminal that Shelvey was allowed that much time and space to get a shot in. If that had been City taking the fk, there would have been a Newcastle player(s) closing the space and blocking the shot.

Not doubting his ability, but he seems a completely different player to Fernandinho. He lacks the acceleration, or 'snap' (for want of a better word) of Fernandinho, or a Kante or Ndidi.

To be fair to him, he's young, and the whole team looks off the boil. There must be a lot of pressure when any turnover of possession or 50/50 tackle going the other way results in a goal.

Not doubting his ability, but he seems a completely different player to Fernandinho. He lacks the acceleration, or 'snap' (for want of a better word) of Fernandinho, or a Kante or Ndidi.

To be fair to him, he's young, and the whole team looks off the boil. There must be a lot of pressure when any turnover of possession or 50/50 tackle going the other way results in a goal.

Our current midfield must have the ball or it becomes a very average midfield. For me Gundogan and Rodri are fine in at CDM with the ball but are both miles below the level of Fern without it. I hadn't seen too much of Rodri before we bought him and I have been surprised and somewhat disappointed to see that his attributes mirror those of Gundogans more than Ferns.

I am of the opinion that when you have the best CDM in the league, you would try to replace him with someone of a similar style and not replace him with someone of the style of his understudy.

Yet his interception numbers are extremely high, so he must be doing something right.
He IS a very different player to Fernandinho and the way the positions around him are being filled right now are very different too.
If the results where different people would be singing his praises instead of trying to (unfairly) compare apples with oranges.
The injury to laporte seems extremely impactfull to the way we play.
Laporte is a top 3 centre back in the world and that extra quality afforded our fullback to congest the midfield area much more aggressively.
The fact that during our record breaking spells that fullback was allways an actual midfielder, while our other fullback operated as a third defender shouldn't be ignored either.
No Laporte and no Kompany to pick up the pieces is the reason we are having a bit of a woble. It really is that simple.
IMO the results are in spite of Rodri. Not because of him.
He's class and I'm just not fickle enough to change my opinion on one player based on a few less than stellar team results.

He's basically Busquets-lite.

Imo he needs to toughen up quickly and be a lot more imposing and '****ish' a la Fabinho / Ndidi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.