Liverpool pay City £1 million in "spy" settlement for hacking - biggest PL scandal

Cant see anyone having the balls to relegate the CL holders mate I really cant.

Surely as well, if they do get 'done', then wont we for our part in accepting the pay off?
This is going to take ages. The FA has to work out if they are going to formally charge them. Then other bodies will have a decision to make. I know there's cynicism that a self-regulating body will open a can of worms but if there's evidence of theft the regulator themselves will be in hot water if they walk away.

I suspect they'll either find a way to bury it entirely, or they will face charges, and if they are charged then that could lead to unprecedented sanctions.

No way are Liverpool getting relegated. Would damage the brand too much.
Like Juve and Serie A?

That's why I am not sure that they will even be charged. Huge temptation not to look at it. But if they are charged, the sanctions are potentially extraordinary given the nature of the alleged offence.

Like Juve and Serie A?

That's why I am not sure that they will even be charged. Huge temptation not to look at it. But if they are charged, the sanctions are potentially extraordinary given the nature of the alleged offence.
It doesn’t compare with what Juve did, much as we might like to think otherwise.

Not saying it’s not serious, as it manifestly is, but I’m certain they won’t relegate Liverpool and I’m not sure it would be proportionate to do so, based on what I know.

Liverpool should, of course, be held accountable for the actions of their employees, but any punishment should reflect where the evidence points in terms of direct culpability. I’d be surprised if anything pointed beyond the individuals we know of (our former employees).

That’s before you’ve even started on the preferential treatment they get as a club, which will make any sanction much less likely in any event.

Relegation?

Mad dreams.

it’s not mad dreams. Spying on a rival, committing serious fraud and breaking every league rule re conduct should result in a club being removed from the league. Relegation would be a wholly appropriate sanction in the circumstances. Of course you are right - this is Liverpool so it won’t happen but if it was Burnley or Watford it probably would and City would be hung drawn and quartered for such a serious offence.

It doesn’t compare with what Juve did, much as we might like to think otherwise.

Not saying it’s not serious, as it manifestly is, but I’m certain they won’t relegate Liverpool and I’m not sure it would be proportionate to do so, based on what I know.

Liverpool should, of course, be held accountable for the actions of their employees, but any punishment should reflect where the evidence points in terms of direct culpability. I’d be surprised if anything pointed beyond the individuals we know of (our former employees).

That’s before you’ve even started on the preferential treatment they get as a club, which will make any sanction much less likely in any event.
I know that but I mentioned it in reference to your point about damaging the brand.

If if gets as far as a charge, the sanctions will potentially be very significant.

I know that but I mentioned it in reference to your point about damaging the brand.

If if gets as far as a charge, the sanctions will potentially be very significant.

I doubt there will be more than a fine even considered. There really is no strong reason for it to be more.

Relegation talk is pie in the sky, cold cheese & onion ones at that.

Just a point on legal issues
Since original g14 were allowed to cartel their particular pot of gold is it possible that the spying offences can similarly be outside normal legal jurisdiction?

I think they'd be looking at a fine rather than pts deduction if found guilty. Something similar to the West Ham/Sheffield Utd Tevez fine; £20-£25m.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.