Kalidou Koulibaly

Koulibaly was the second most fined player in the Napoli squad after their dressing room revolt, and there was talk that De Laurentis was putting everyone up for sale and was going to make an example of someone.

That might be an opportunity to get him for a decent price, if the old man actually means it and hasn't got over his temper tantrum by January.
Was thinking that too. Trouble is if he becomes available at a good price the usual suspects will also be on the case (Bayern etc.)

Was thinking that too. Trouble is if he becomes available at a good price the usual suspects will also be on the case (Bayern etc.)
I don't rate Koulibaily but I dont think we would have much challenge if we went for him unless he flat out refuses a move to the prem. Bayern have more defenders then they can put on the pitch, Juventus wont spend big on an ageing defender, Real and Barca wouldn't go for him so we would realistically just have challenge from probably the rags and Chelsea.

I don't rate Koulibaily but I dont think we would have much challenge if we went for him unless he flat out refuses a move to the prem. Bayern have more defenders then they can put on the pitch, Juventus wont spend big on an ageing defender, Real and Barca wouldn't go for him so we would realistically just have challenge from probably the rags and Chelsea.
A lot of the world's top clubs have problems with old/unsuitable CB's. Pique, S Ramos and Boateng to name but 3 are close to done at top level.
Koulibaly is no spring chicken but he's in good shape and should supply at least 5 years of good service to an elite team. There are very few CB's around who can offer that.

Selling Sane would fund this and sort out the foreign player quota we were hampered with in the summer.

Sane is as good as gone (and has been since the summer, when we should have sold him and replaced him with a CB), so there's no point faffing around when our glaring issue is at CB - not on the wings, where we are stocked enough as it is.

I'd much rather we sign a genuine world class player like Koulibaly for an extortionate fee, rather than Soyuncu (for what we essentially be a similar price). He may be a lot older, but he's immeasurably better and would instantly give us the best CB pairing in the world alongside Laporte.

I'd much rather we sign a genuine world class player like Koulibaly for an extortionate fee, rather than Soyuncu (for what we essentially be a similar price). He may be a lot older, but he's immeasurably better and would instantly give us the best CB pairing in the world alongside Laporte.

I would agree with this line of thinking. Pep's likely only here for another 1-3 years. Get him a world class CB at his peak to partner Laporte and win everything.

We've got Eric Garcia and Taylor Harwood-Bellis coming through as well, so we could have some bright young players drip fed into the side over 3 years or so like Foden has been while behind a world class midfield. I'm sure they'd learn a lot from a seasoned veteran of Italian defending as well.

Selling Sane would fund this and sort out the foreign player quota we were hampered with in the summer.

Sane is as good as gone (and has been since the summer, when we should have sold him and replaced him with a CB), so there's no point faffing around when our glaring issue is at CB - not on the wings, where we are stocked enough as it is.

Totally agree. The people always bringing up our spending aren't arguing in good faith anyway; the hesitancy we have around not spending big on single player to avoid headlines is completely pointless.

I would agree with this line of thinking. Pep's likely only here for another 1-3 years. Get him a world class CB at his peak to partner Laporte and win everything.

We've got Eric Garcia and Taylor Harwood-Bellis coming through as well, so we could have some bright young players drip fed into the side over 3 years or so like Foden has been while behind a world class midfield. I'm sure they'd learn a lot from a seasoned veteran of Italian defending as well.
Yup. I'd rather we buy the finished article now and not potential. We have shit loads of potential with Garcia and THB. We dont want anyone blocking their path. We need someone who can come in right now at the top of his game and see us through 3-4 years. This guy would be epic. I'm not a big fan of the leicester guy.

Yup. I'd rather we buy the finished article now and not potential. We have shit loads of potential with Garcia and THB. We dont want anyone blocking their path. We need someone who can come in right now at the top of his game and see us through 3-4 years. This guy would be epic. I'm not a big fan of the leicester guy.
100%. And Garcia & THB are much more likely to develop & perform consistently alongside a reliable WC defender like Laporte/Koulibaly than a hot and cold partner in Stones/Otamendi.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.