Guardiola rules out any January signings.

Might as well just hope Laporte returns and doesn't get injured again.

The first choice defenders are fine. It's the cover that is the problem. I think if it was Stones that got injured, Fernandinho and Laporte would possibly work.

What would happen to Liverpool if VVD was injured for 5 months?

I believe that City were caught out last season when Kompany retired a year earlier than expected and City were left with a problem. We had a choice of bringing in a central defender, or gambling on the fitness of Laporte for a season whilst Garcia and Harwood-Bellis got experience. Lightning struck, and we were unlucky.

true

and i hope its a bluff from pep and city and we have a couple of irons in the fire ?? but it sounds like pep just given up on this season in the premier league and looking to the cups and champions league and with that quote of not bring any new signings in this window, then it could be a long hard winter and run in for a top 4 place just to keep everybody happy

we are not daft and we all can see the weakness in this squad and with david silva leaving and maybe fernandinho also could leave, then its 2 key players need replacing
ok foden will take silva shirt and rodri will be the holding first choice but the gaps in defence are wide and 2 new faces must come in now or in the summer 2 center backs are a must and even a new left back with mendy a big doubt is a puzzle that will not be a easy fix with angelino and zinchenko

I don't think Pep does bluffs, if he says City aren't signing any players in January then City aren't signing any players in January.

I agree with the club's position on this.

The summer is the much better window.

There is no mad rush.

We aren't a patch on the last 2 seasons but we're good enough to get top 4 and CL football and have a good blast at the 3 cups on offer.

The summer should be our biggest for a number of years and needs to be planned and executed properly rather than buying some sticking plasters in January.

I just don’t see who we could buy in January that’s not a short term fix. We won’t catch Liverpool now & we need more than a January signing for champs league. So no point really in signing anybody. Save it for summer

my only issue this season is we have not used foden more & a few other kids. Our biggest issue has been energy in midfield.

I’m beginning to think even pep sees this season as being over and just allowing it to run it’s course & make sure we get top 4 nothing more.

I see us finishing 3rd
Retain one cup nothing more.

I just don’t see who we could buy in January that’s not a short term fix. We won’t catch Liverpool now & we need more than a January signing for champs league. So no point really in signing anybody. Save it for summer

my only issue this season is we have not used foden more & a few other kids. Our biggest issue has been energy in midfield.

I’m beginning to think even pep sees this season as being over and just allowing it to run it’s course & make sure we get top 4 nothing more.

I see us finishing 3rd
Retain one cup nothing more.
Kalidou Koulibaly a total munity going on in Naples, hit them with an offer they can't refuse, 30m plus Mendy and Otto
4 Times in succession the guy has made the best 11 team in Italy, no short term fix, just a world class cb partner for Laporte.

I think Vinnie took us by surprise in that we didn't have sufficient notice (I may be wrong) and we would normally have succession plans in place for all players and scouting / screening candidates would be done months in advance.
For what it's worth, I think this is a generous interpretation of events. Yes, Vinny told us a few weeks before the window opened that he was heading to Belgium, but if you believe any of the reports from last summer by that point Otamendi had already told the club he was open to a move. So not only should we have had contingency plans in place in the event that Kompany decided to go (which, really, wasn't a huge shocker in retrospect, he was out of contract after all), we should've been in the market looking at options in the event that Otamendi had found a move as well. The decision last summer not to buy a centerback was just that, a calculated decision (obviously wrong in my opinion), not us getting caught off guard by Vinny.

It may depend on City's assessment of the potential of Garcia and Harwood-Bellis. If we buy a young defender like Nathan Ake, and add to Stones and Laporte then you're closing the door on one of those players. The effective cost is £50m for 3 months, and the loss of that young player who would probably move on.

If we didn't have those two young defenders then I'd definitely be in the market.

Pep may also truly believe he can convert Fernandinho into a central defender.
Realistically theres no way we're able to bring through two youth players in the same position. I really rate Garcia, but given his size, and Spanish passport, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we sell him to focus on THB. And signing another centerback wouldn't block him at all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.