John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a radical idea watch a City with a positive attitude you might enjoy it

I do enjoy it, very much so but we are not a perfect side. We are conceding left, right and centre this season so there is clearly an issue with our defensive capability. If you want to ignore it, fine, others want to debate it, so leave us to it.

Most of them were during the greatest winning streak in the history of the English top flight if I remember correctly.
He was brilliant in the first half of that season. His trouble is he blows hot and cold, never consistent and takes an age to get back in to form after a lay off. Seems to be having some mental/confidence issues of late.

Most of them were during the greatest winning streak in the history of the English top flight if I remember correctly.
He was brilliant in the first half of that season. His trouble is he blows hot and cold, never consistent and takes an age to get back in to form after a lay off. Seems to be having some mental/confidence issues of late.
16 starts, with 15 wins and 1 loss, 6 clean sheets, 11 goals conceded.

If he can mature, which happens in larger part later for lads (if we’re honest with ourselves), allowing him to push through confidence issues (which I maintain is the main hinderance to his progression), I honestly think he could be one of the best CBs in the PL.

I’m not saying he didn’t contribute I’m just pointing out that he didn’t play every game. Consistency has always been his problem. That was his best spell but he got injured and when he came back he wasn’t the same player. The hesitancy and nervousness kicked in and he was out of the side.

If he was some super defender he would be playing every week. Pep obviously feels there are deficiencies.

I’m not saying he didn’t contribute I’m just pointing out that he didn’t play every game. Consistency has always been his problem. That was his best spell but he got injured and when he came back he wasn’t the same player. The hesitancy and nervousness kicked in and he was out of the side.

If he was some super defender he would be playing every week. Pep obviously feels there are deficiencies.
I don’t think anyone is arguing that Pep doesn’t have concerns — I think it is reasonable to think he does, especially after recent comments.

I think many of us are just arguing those concerns are not necessarily permanent and all-consuming. They could diminish or disappear entirely with better, more consistent performances from Stones, as you have pointed out is needed. And that he could very well go on to do that. He has been very good and fairly bad this season alone, so there is evidence that he has it in him to be very good more often, he just has to work toward that. If he was bad all the time, with only a very few exceptions, I would agree he does not have much hope to kick on.

I know many think he’ll never be consistently good enough for us, and I accept those opinions (and they may be proven right), but not all think that, and that is perfectly valid, as well.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that Pep doesn’t have concerns — I think it is reasonable to think he does, especially after recent comments.

I think many of us are just arguing those concerns are not necessarily permanent and all-consuming. They could diminish or disappear entirely with better, more consistent performances from Stones, as you have pointed out is needed. And that he could very well go on to do that. He has been very good and fairly bad this season alone, so there is evidence that he has it in him to be very good more often, he just has to work toward that. If he was bad all the time, with only a very few exceptions, I would agree he does not have much hope to kick on.

I know many think he’ll never be consistently good enough for us, and I accept those opinions (and they may be proven right), but not all think that, and that is perfectly valid, as well.

I hope he does come good. Will save us a lot of money if he does. Like you say, he has it in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.