Why are teams allowed to set up the wall on free kicks?

BosnianBlue

Team supported
City
Looking at Dippers moaning about Atkinson and the goal they conceded yesterday, I wondered why are teams allowed to set up the walls when free kicks are near their goal.

It was always stupid thing as things like that never happen when free kick is at centre of the pitch but with the latest rules, it is explicitly allowed that free kick could be taken without referee's permission.

So why is time wasted allowing teams to set up the wall when it is closer to the goal and why refs always point to the attacking team to wait for their whistle, then spray the pitch etc, etc, why same rule doesn't apply for these situations.

I would usually tell both captains and managers that I am quite happy for them to take a quick free kick whenever they want. This would be done pre match. However, if there has been about 5 seconds wait for me to give them the OK to proceed. Used to tell them "don@t ask me if you want a quick free kick, I will assume you do". After all a free kick is supposed to be an advantage to the team who were fouled. To me, a lot of top flight refs look to have forgotten this. Didn't KDB get cautioned for taking a quick free kick last year?

I would usually tell both captains and managers that I am quite happy for them to take a quick free kick whenever they want. This would be done pre match. However, if there has been about 5 seconds wait for me to give them the OK to proceed. Used to tell them "don@t ask me if you want a quick free kick, I will assume you do". After all a free kick is supposed to be an advantage to the team who were fouled. To me, a lot of top flight refs look to have forgotten this. Didn't KDB get cautioned for taking a quick free kick last year?

He wasn't cautioned, I think (might have been, but for dissent, not for taking it) but the **** cancelled the goal we scored. It was one of the games we lost, Newcastle I think. We had 1:0 lead at that moment, should have been two, but later lost 2:1.

This season should be different, there is an explicit rule now that free kicks could be taken without ref's permission as long as the ball is not moving. So I don't understand why are they making it different when it happens 20 yards from the goal.

Looking at Dippers moaning about Atkinson and the goal they conceded yesterday, I wondered why are teams allowed to set up the walls when free kicks are near their goal.

It was always stupid thing as things like that never happen when free kick is at centre of the pitch but with the latest rules, it is explicitly allowed that free kick could be taken without referee's permission.

So why is time wasted allowing teams to set up the wall when it is closer to the goal and why refs always point to the attacking team to wait for their whistle, then spray the pitch etc, etc, why same rule doesn't apply for these situations.
The dippers were fannying about and to be fair Brighton didn't take it before the ref blew the whistle so tough shit if they weren't ready

Probably better to not bother with a wall at times, gives the kick taker something to bend the ball around and can leave the keeper unsighted.

Let's see how good an oppo player is from 30 yards with a dead ball, no wall and a keeper who can see everything.

Probably better to not bother with a wall at times, gives the kick taker something to bend the ball around and can leave the keeper unsighted.

Let's see how good an oppo player is from 30 yards with a dead ball, no wall and a keeper who can see everything.
Yeah I remember Nicky Weaver doing that against the rags, he didn't have a wall so he could see the free kick and Beckham stuck it in the bottom corner

Said this for years. All you're doing with a wall is hiding the player taking it and the ball from the person who's supposed to be stopping it hit the back of the net. Have 1/2 max as a block and leave the rest to the goalie.

KDB was cautioned and the goal struck off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.