Officially the least used academy in Europes top 5 leagues.

This just doesn't hold up under any scrutiny though.

If it takes time, and it's a long term effort, don't invite every journalist in the country to the minihad and tell the world you'll have an entire team full of academy players in 10 years.

Don't tell everyone in your end of year message that 1 youth player must come through and play for the first team every season. Don't go around Europe buying up every talented youngster you can find in 2009/10/11 if you know you're not going to give them a chance in 2013/14/15 because the first team results are too important.

If the first 11 years of the takeover were just focusing on the first XI and academy players couldn't be brought through, then why turn it into such a giant, visible part of the club, and therefore a target when you fail to do everything you promised so loudly?

Of course there's also the fact that the whole "first team too important" line doesn't hold up anyway, every champions league winner in the last 10 years has had academy players in the starting XI, because it very much is possible to win everything and have academy players play, but that's a secondary argument.
Because the academy has made the club profitable over the last four seasons and without those sales we wouldn’t have broken even for FFP? (Would be an answer to most of your questions)

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/man-city-academy-jadon-sancho-15293114

Most successful English team over last 5 years isn’t using enough academy players.
Who’d of thought?

There's probably a better argument for Chelsea being the more successful side over the 10 years covered.

Chelsea 3 PL, 3 FA, 1 LC, 1 CL, 2 Europa.

City 4 PL, 2 FA, 4LC.

They're still near the bottom but managed 3x better than us on the playing kids front, although I wonder how much of that was Terry.

Because the academy has made the club profitable over the last four seasons and without those sales we wouldn’t have broken even for FFP? (Would be an answer to most of your questions)

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/man-city-academy-jadon-sancho-15293114

But we're not even that good as a pump and dump academy.

It's impossible for us to know how much we end up paying these kids and their parents to come over, and the costs of having them in the academy, but I would be pretty amazed if we'd actually made a profit on the academy over the decade.

It's also only become a credible revenue stream in the past 2 or 3 years, when we've been spending a lot of money signing kids up since 2009.

Prices for talented kids are also skyrocketing, we're supposed to have paid £4m for Morgan Rodgers, so add on the wages for him being here 3 years and there's a lot of money you need to get back to break even.

Last edited:
Barcelona are pretty good and they are at 46%....

We haven't used any academy player as first choice since Micah Richards! I'm not overly arsed given how successful we have been but it would be good to make a dent in this. Hopefully things will change with Foden and then others will follow.
Barca have barca b which is much better than our EDS set up so it's no wonder they are doing well on this,does it matter if they are first choice or that they are in the first team? i don't find it embarrassing at all,i think we are are a hard team to get into because for yrs we had to spend big to catch up with the other big clubs,it's only the last 5yrs that we are comfortably part of the elite,if you think of it like that we haven't had long to bring the kids through into a team regularly deep in 4 comps,phil is here,the 2 cb's look very promising,in a couple of years we might have 3 first teamers and that would be fine,in the mean time it's been a good revenue stream ,i just don't like the use of stats without the reasons for them

Last edited:
But we're not even that good as a pump and dump academy.

It's impossible for us to know how much we end up paying these kids and their parents to come over, and the costs of having them in the academy, but I would be pretty amazed if we'd actually made a profit on the academy over the decade.

It's also only become a credible revenue stream in the past 2 or 3 years, when we've been spending a lot of money signing kids up since 2009.
Doesn’t matter how much the academy costs. It’s not part of FFP calculations but all sales are.

My post that you quote is still accurate and correct.

The real failure in my opinion isn't that we haven't produced a star, that happens, and part of it is luck of the draw, it's that we haven't consistently produced squad players. People will say that our squad is at such a high level it's impossible to get it, but it just isn't true. Think back over the decade of how many mediocre squad players we've bought and then carried year after year. It's really difficult to produce a Yaya or a Sergio, but we need to give kids opportunities to see if they can displace the Navas, Nolito, Fernando types. Even three or four homegrown squad players would help us immensely by allowing us to focus the transfer budget on fewer positions and it would solve our ever present foreign quota issues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.