Was anything better in days gone by?

Open spaces for kids to play on and not wander the streets.

Seems like every tiny bit of land is built on nowadays.

Long gone are the days of going out in the morning with your pals, playing footie, building dens, etc all day in the field and then coming home at dusk.

Six weeks holidays, my parents hardly saw me, other than bed time, occasionally dinner time or for a drink, and tea time.

Halycon days in the late 70's and early 80's

Sentimental...me???
Couldn't agree more. I was brought up in the 50s. There were about 3m cars on the road, compared to 30m(?) now. Our gang of kids spent all day roaming, building underground dens on the local unused site, playing footie, cricket and a host of bonkers made up games. We had two really good ones:
1."Wallie" where we took turns to kick a ball (plastic Frodo, natch) against a specified section of wall. You had to play the ball from where it was, lots of sneaky angles. Each miss lost you one of five lives. The height restriction on the target made kerbs a hazard!
2. Non stop cricket. Lamp post was the stumps, bowler bowled as soon as he got the ball, batter could use any part of the body and had to run every ball to a point square of the wicket.
AND there were no fat kids!!
So hard for today's youngsters to have such a time.
Great days.

Couldn't agree more. I was brought up in the 50s. There were about 3m cars on the road, compared to 30m(?) now. Our gang of kids spent all day roaming, building underground dens on the local unused site, playing footie, cricket and a host of bonkers made up games. We had two really good ones:
1."Wallie" where we took turns to kick a ball (plastic Frodo, natch) against a specified section of wall. You had to play the ball from where it was, lots of sneaky angles. Each miss lost you one of five lives. The height restriction on the target made kerbs a hazard!
2. Non stop cricket. Lamp post was the stumps, bowler bowled as soon as he got the ball, batter could use any part of the body and had to run every ball to a point square of the wicket.
AND there were no fat kids!!
So hard for today's youngsters to have such a time.
Great days.

It's all changed for youngsters these days though. We had no phones, internets, computer games, 800 channels of shite to keep us indoors. Just a load of mates and an active imagination. No need for imagination these days if you can ride a horse slowly around the map in rdr2.

I often think about when I was younger back in the 60s and 70s.
There are only 2/3 things that I consider to be better back then.
1 - Beer,especially Boddingtons seemed to taste better back then. As did Tetleys,Sam Smiths and Wilsons.
2 - Houses were far cheaper than they are now. I bought my first terraced house in 1980 for £12300,and at the time my salary was @£5000. So I was easily able to afford the mortgage repayments which
the wife didn't need to go to work after her maternity leave and could stay at home to look after our 2 daughters. However house buying wasn't all a bed of roses then,interest rates were around the 12-15% mark right through the 80s and well into the 90s. I checked a couple of weeks ago on google and inflation in 1980 was 18%.
3 - Knife crime. Back when I was a teenager/young man I was involved in a few fights ,in school,on the street,in nightclubs and also at football matches. Plenty of punches,kicks (heavy leather brogues were my weapon of choice) and head butts. Nobody carried a knife or other weapon. So if you ended up in a punch up with other youths,you may have got a black eye,split lip,or busted nose. But you soon recovered from those type of injuries. Nowadays look at the wrong person or walk down the wrong street and it results in a stabbing and most likely dead.

Cars. You could tell what make and model a car was from a distance. Now they all look the same.

And you used to be able to work on them. Pop open the bonnet and climb in!

Now you open the bonnet and the solid cover over everything says, 'Fuck off and get a garage to deal with this.'

Open spaces for kids to play on and not wander the streets.

Seems like every tiny bit of land is built on nowadays.

Long gone are the days of going out in the morning with your pals, playing footie, building dens, etc all day in the field and then coming home at dusk.

Six weeks holidays, my parents hardly saw me, other than bed time, occasionally dinner time or for a drink, and tea time.

Halycon days in the late 70's and early 80's

Sentimental...me???
Yes, my time was late 60s/early 70s but much the same applied, out most of the day in the summer hols.

There has been a lot of good progress over the years as the OP describes but for me a lot of social media could be canned and it wouldn't be missed (BM excepted of course!).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.