Was anything better in days gone by?

The late 60s/early 70s rock and fashion scene. Exploded almost out of nowhere.

House prices, as already mentioned. £8,550 for my first house. Equivalent to only about 2 years salary IIRC. Mind you, interest rates were eye-watering at times.

Couldn't agree more. I was brought up in the 50s. There were about 3m cars on the road, compared to 30m(?) now. Our gang of kids spent all day roaming, building underground dens on the local unused site, playing footie, cricket and a host of bonkers made up games. We had two really good ones:
1."Wallie" where we took turns to kick a ball (plastic Frodo, natch) against a specified section of wall. You had to play the ball from where it was, lots of sneaky angles. Each miss lost you one of five lives. The height restriction on the target made kerbs a hazard!
2. Non stop cricket. Lamp post was the stumps, bowler bowled as soon as he got the ball, batter could use any part of the body and had to run every ball to a point square of the wicket.
AND there were no fat kids!!
So hard for today's youngsters to have such a time.
Great days.
Exactly, all we did was sports as youngsters, road hockey, baseball, football(both kinds), hoops, School sports teams, and most of our core group had junior memberships at the golf club, only $24 a year at the time! Like noted above the made-up games that could form at any time could be the funnest. We also had good sports fields around and great outdoor areas, for playing war, building forts, swimming, rafting, fishing, hiking, you name it. Those are times well missed, and sadly times kids today may never know. Our kids were lucky and got to have what we had and had their formative years in the time just before the digital age made everyone monitor hermits, and remain active.
Now all the better athletic kids are all in structured programs, and the rest just are not interested in the pick-up games, or outdoors any more.
Each to their own I guess and as long as their happy, fine.
It actually saddens my wife and myself while we travel all over western north america in all seasons and see countless of wonderful sports facilities and school fields devoid of activity,
other than, ironically, senior's playing mixed slo-pitch, enjoying themselves no end, reliving the glory days and trying to stay young.

Music is never any better or worse through any era. It’s just what the record companies push to the masses that changes.

These days good music is anything from alternative to completely underground.

You can discover bands you’ve never heard of that have 4000 views on YouTube, never in the charts, never on the radio, never on tele, but be blown away at how good they are.

There’s only one good radio station (BBC Radio 6 Music) in the country and even then they don’t pick up on a sea of decent bands that are out there. There are no decent music tv channels. There’s no John Peel or Tony Wilson around championing the alternative/underground anymore so it remains underground.
Yes, when FM stations were on the air for the right reasons. We are really fortunate for Youtube now as loads of great music would never be happened upon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.