Pep comments on the “size” of City compared to United

I saw this on espn south america, there was a 30 min look at the game tomorrow, with predictions and lots of chat and a good look at derbies in the past going back many years. there is a difference here, the talk was not about history, it was about football.all this shit about who is the biggest club in the world dont go down here. different programme altogether, liVARpool dont get a mention.we are as big at least as the rags and are way way bigger than the dippers.guess they watch the game here, not the supposed history

Biggest club, richest club, smallest club, who has won the most trophies ect !! Who gives a shit. People follow and support a club for many reasons and until a decade or so ago , the first thought of a fan was not " will we be the richest club" will we win more trophies" .It was usually down to a mixture of, in any order, where you lived, who your family supported, who your mates supported, who would take you to a game. In the 60s if I couldn't get to watch City I would watch Bury. I went to football games for the excitement, atmosphere, to be with mates and to get away from any doom & gloom at shool and the mundane stuff of everyday life. Never once did I ever think about, how rich the club would be, as unless they share the wealth out as at the end of the day it means sfa to me. Fans of clubs like Crewe ,Rochdale, Bury (hope they reform) have much more respect from me for supporting there local club than fans who support a club on their perception of wealth, support, trophies won ect ect. If City take a dip in form say in the next 10 years am positive we will get a dip in support as well, as fair weather fans who only support City because of the above will move to pastures new.

When Garry Cook was CEO his vision was for City to become bigger than Barcelona. Man Utd were just a rung in the ladder.

This is Derby Day, and Simon Stone asks the question of where the clubs are on that ladder.

You want to know the future? Look at rates. How do the criteria which benchmark clubs vary with time?
  • Rate of trophy wins
  • Rate of financial growth
  • Rates of growth of the respective fanbases
It's an open question as to which is the bigger club. Even a Man Utd fan in the media like the BBC's Simon Stone feels compelled to ask it. A City fan will say City, and a Utd fan Utd, but they will both acknowledge that City are traveling faster.

Manchester is ours. Our fans dominate in the workplace and in the schools. You only have to walk around town to see this.

We have a New Order and it will be a Blue Monday.

Last edited:
United’s obsession with being a “bigger” club is a bit weird tbh. It’s all they’ve got left to cling to at the moment.

They have to do it, that's all that is left for them to get sponsors.

United’s obsession with being a “bigger” club is a bit weird tbh. It’s all they’ve got left to cling to at the moment.
Rags have been like that many years Ric. They find it very hard to accept massive ciddy are pulling away from them year on year. I've heard the bullshit "you'll never be as big and successful" line many times. I don't care how big and successful we've become, I'm just enjoying it for now whilst it lasts. We could become more successful than the rags in time. That worries them a whole lot more than it worries us.

Another win for us today will help compound their misery a little further, and that's good enough for me.

Pep did mention something like:"we probably made more noise in the lower divisions than we make now".

I would love Pep to stay as long as possible, but I think sometimes the less than noisy atmosphere frustrates him. Ideally he would like an atmosphere that intimidates the other team and all the officials, and they fear for their safety. Sometimes that can sway decisions?

With a United supporting ref and a less than honest official on VAR we might need all the help we can today? This is their "cup final". Let's all try and give Pep the noise and passion he craves to help our team. It might encourage Pep to commit for longer?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.