Fernandinho needs to go back into midfield

Maybe try one of the kids? With our season deteriorating quickly we have litle left to lose than blood Garcia and Taylor HB at times.
That’s what the Cup games are for, not the PL (where, if we are not careful, we might end up in a fight for 4th) and CL. I’m not opposed to them getting a cameo when we are two goals ahead, but to expect youngsters to suddenly be the answer to serious question is unfair on them.

The world is not in fire, we are going through our normal bad Christmas period, so these players have to be bloodied properly. Plus, Pep likes his 16 man squad and only wanders outside that box by force. We are not quite there yet, but it’s coming! Here’s hoping Laporte and Sergio can hit the ground running when they return, because we need a fillip!

Not solely about this game, just an observation on the season so far.

I thought Rodri was excellent vs Burnley but he's still settling in and we miss the athleticism and defensive nous of Fern in there, which then gives players like De Bruyne a springboard to work off.

I know we have injuries but I'd put Eric Garcia at the back if it meant we could get Fern into midfield.

I know we have other issues but that is one of my biggest takeaways so far.
Again, it won't help. Hoping for glories past is always a killer.

We need faster wingplay and greater intensity centrally

Totally out of his depth at centre back, big mistake by Pep to keep playing him there.

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe he's not physically capable of playing in midfield regularly anymore? Was struggling with injuries all through the second half of last season and into the Copa America as well. We can't just look to a 34 year old to save us - the title's gone and Rodri's his replacemet. There's no point in going back now. He's statistically been better than both John and Nico since Laporte got injured, and now with the Stones injury it's even less likely to happen than it was before today.

The rest of the midfield needs to do its job with their pressing and the forwards need to start putting away their chances.

Last edited:
That’s what the Cup games are for, not the PL (where, if we are not careful, we might end up in a fight for 4th) and CL. I’m not opposed to them getting a cameo when we are two goals ahead, but to expect youngsters to suddenly be the answer to serious question is unfair on them.

The world is not in fire, we are going through our normal bad Christmas period, so these players have to be bloodied properly. Plus, Pep likes his 16 man squad and only wanders outside that box by force. We are not quite there yet, but it’s coming! Here’s hoping Laporte and Sergio can hit the ground running when they return, because we need a fillip!

While I agree bout the youngsters, I don't think it's a bad blip...I think our performances win or lose this season have for the most part been well off the pace we have set the last two seasons...its like watching a frustrating pellets side at times

Fernandinho is coming to the end of his City career and Rodri needs to get used to playing the number six role in this team. We need to get him acclimatised as soon as possible so we can see the benefits next season. Given that the title is already gone, I don't see the point in delaying that transition.

Is Fernandinho coming to the end of his career though?

He still looks like one of the best and fittest players on the pitch to me, and looks like he'll be our best option in CM next season too.

Some player can still perform at 35 and 36 and Fernandinho is definitely one of them.

Is Fernandinho coming to the end of his career though?

He still looks like one of the best and fittest players on the pitch to me, and looks like he'll be our best option in CM next season too.

Some player can still perform at 35 and 36 and Fernandinho is definitely one of them.
You don’t think that is helped by him not having to run all over the pitch??? He’s doing a Mascherano.

Again, it won't help. Hoping for glories past is always a killer.

We need faster wingplay and greater intensity centrally

We play into teams hands with the lack of any pace. We need to adopt a much 'busier' build up. We rely on one last killer pass against organised defences and only once a season will you get a howler that gives you the goal. Ordinary teams can defend against our main tactical attacking element with only a little bit of luck.

Midfield is far too slow.

We can’t press up front because if they break through the press they have open season on our slow midfield. So we’re hanging back up front and everything is just apprehensive and unsure.

Rodri had a great game the other night but today again his lack of pace caused yet another goal (their second). He’s either been asleep or too slow or given the ball away for about five goals and Laporte’s injury this season and it’s not even Christmas. I reckon I’m faster and can turn quicker than him.

David Silva was involved in a lot of play but as soon as any team breaks he can’t keep up.

I don’t even care if we have to play García at the back now Stones is injured again, but PLEASE get Fernandinho back in midfield and get Foden in this team! IT IS TIME!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.