Fernandinho needs to go back into midfield

Is Fernandinho coming to the end of his career though?

He still looks like one of the best and fittest players on the pitch to me, and looks like he'll be our best option in CM next season too.

Some player can still perform at 35 and 36 and Fernandinho is definitely one of them.
He's not played a single game in midfield since the Copa America, how on earth have you come to the conclusion that he'd still be capable of running around the pitch now - let alone next season? Was picking up injuries left right and centre at the back end of last season.

If he gets a contract extension it will be as 4th choice centre back. The idea that he's some superhuman who can run from box to box for 90 minutes multiple times a week is absurd.

Is Fernandinho coming to the end of his career though?

He still looks like one of the best and fittest players on the pitch to me, and looks like he'll be our best option in CM next season too.

Some player can still perform at 35 and 36 and Fernandinho is definitely one of them.

He can probably play anywhere on the pitch, but we have suffered not from him being at CB but NOT being in midfield. I think if we are short of CBs in the main squad it won't be a wrecking job if we put EG or THB in the back line. They are CBs, and it is Ferny who will give them the cover they might need. If Stones is sidelined now Pep won't have much of an option. I hope he doesn't think the solution would be to shift another player out of his main role, such as putting Rodders in there!

Rodri isnt as good as Fern overall, but his shooting is better. Our defence is so crap though we simply can't play with 1 DM this season.
Need to play both in central midfield.Pep is too pig headed to see it though.
Stones - shit - needs to pull his head out of his arse pronto or be sold.
Fern is not a Central defender.
Need to go 4-5-2 for the rest of the season.

You don’t think that is helped by him not having to run all over the pitch??? He’s doing a Mascherano.

Not really no. I just think he's a supremely fit person.

It just seems to be a bit of a cliche from the pre-sports science era of 1990s football that once someone turns 30, they're on their last legs.

I've been hearing about Fernandinho coming to the end for years (Aguero too - although he's nowhere near as fit as Fern) but I find it pretty astonishing that people are writing him off on the back of his current performances as nearly over-the-hill when we've just seen a 35 year old guy run a sub 2-hour marathon.

To me, he looks pretty much as fit as he's ever been.

That’s what the Cup games are for, not the PL (where, if we are not careful, we might end up in a fight for 4th) and CL. I’m not opposed to them getting a cameo when we are two goals ahead, but to expect youngsters to suddenly be the answer to serious question is unfair on them.

The world is not in fire, we are going through our normal bad Christmas period, so these players have to be bloodied properly. Plus, Pep likes his 16 man squad and only wanders outside that box by force. We are not quite there yet, but it’s coming! Here’s hoping Laporte and Sergio can hit the ground running when they return, because we need a fillip!

"If we're not careful"? We are already in a fight for 4th... This is not a blip, we've been well off the pace all season... injuries have taken their toll, and I also think VAR injustices have had a big psychological impact too. Today was possibly the worst performance under Pep, made worse for me by the fact EVERY blue could have told you their game plan today, but we seemed surprised by it!

We need to be ruthless. Losing Laporte was bad luck, but it's been compounded by letting players like Fernandinho and David Silva play on beyond their days. We have a squad. use them as squad players. They shouldn't be starting intense games like this.

We have young players like Garcia, Foden and we have players like Rodri and Jesus. We need to rebuild the spine of the team. Kompany went. A couple of others should have gone too but Pep is too loyal to his senior players and results like this are the result.

We should use the rest of the season to being in Garcia, Foden and play Jesus even when Aguero is back fit.

I sincerely hope Pep extends his deal and rebuilds Man City. Today should be a wake up call. Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd have outpowered us at times. We might also have a problem with KDB too. He's never returned to the level he was at before his injuries. Maybe that's because City are not at the same level.

Today should be a wake up call I think it's going to be frustrating though as Pep is going to stick be Fernandinho, and Silva. The League has gone now of course but there are the Cups, and we'll lose those too if we persist with these players.

Reactions: cjn
We need to be ruthless. Losing Laporte was bad luck, but it's been compounded by letting players like Fernandinho and David Silva play on beyond their days. We have a squad. use them as squad players. They shouldn't be starting intense games like this.

We have young players like Garcia, Foden and we have players like Rodri and Jesus. We need to rebuild the spine of the team. Kompany went. A couple of others should have gone too but Pep is too loyal to his senior players and results like this are the result.

We should use the rest of the season to being in Garcia, Foden and play Jesus even when Aguero is back fit.

I sincerely hope Pep extends his deal and rebuilds Man City. Today should be a wake up call. Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd have outpowered us at times. We might also have a problem with KDB too. He's never returned to the level he was at before his injuries. Maybe that's because City are not at the same level.

Today should be a wake up call I think it's going to be frustrating though as Pep is going to stick be Fernandinho, and Silva. The League has gone now of course but there are the Cups, and we'll lose those too if we persist with these players.
Losing Laporte was shit play by Zinchenko and shit effort and athleticism from Rodri. Laporte had to burst off the mark in a 30:70 to try and make up for their fucking shitness.

I’m still fuming at the pair of them more than any goal conceded or shit ref/VAR decision from this season. That was the most infuriating moment of the season seeing those two play like a pair of pissed up blokes out of the pub and one of our best players is out for so long.

We might win the Carabao Cup, as it’s the only time we don’t play all the senior players together.

Sorry but that's absolutely ridiculous and up there with your 'will Aguero's injury help us' thread.

Fernandinho has been one of our best players this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.