Fernandinho needs to go back into midfield

Sorry but that's absolutely ridiculous.

Fernandinho has been one of our best players this season.
I don't think so. The Fernandinho as central defender experiment has been a complete failure.

You should be honest. We're losing or being outplayed by sides we were a class above last season. The 2018/19 squad was at its peak and we needed to make changes. We actually have done a fair job at bringing in players e.g., Foden, Rodri etc but we should have the faith to play them

I don't think so. The Fernandinho as central defender experiment has been a complete failure.

You should be honest. We're losing or being outplayed by sides we were a class above last season. The 2018/19 squad was at its peak and we needed to make changes. We actually have done a fair job at bringing in players e.g., Foden, Rodri etc but we should have the faith to play them
What?! He’s been our most consistent outfield player since he came into the team. He’s been the best defender. He’s the fittest player in the squad and he looks like he could play another three years.

If you mean that it’s not working not having him in midfield then I agree. He’s light years above the others.

We fundamentally disagree Marv so I'm not going to try and persuade you.

Enjoy your Saturday night and stay out of trouble. I'm a Celebrity's on ITV now if you're into that kind of thing.

Put fern in the middle and it solves so much pressure on our defence simples

Post of the day. 100% agree. Otamendi could have played today and half the shit storm that the defence faced wouldn’t have got there cos having ferno in the role he is best at would’ve stopped it

agree.

fern is one of the best in the world in his position. Why you play him out of it is beyond me.

the problem is midfield not defence

Pep’s too stubborn to admit he got this wrong. Yes it worked for him with Mascherano at Barca and Lahm, to an extent at BM but PL is a totally different league and you face more challenges from all teams unlike in Spain & Germany

If you look at the players Pep has either signed or attempted to sign for that role (Gündy, Jorginho, Rodri), Fernandinho is very much an outlier. Not only does Pep no longer see Fernandinho as an option for that position, he also isn’t trying to replace him with a similar player. It’s a huge and very interesting disconnect with how the majority of fans and pundits view the situation

Fernandinho was really hit and miss for me in 16/17, as were a lot of the team. But it was incredibly tough for him as really we were being held back by a weak defence, so he would often be isolated when we have the ball and doing the job of 3 when we didn't. Signing Walker and Ederson meant our then shaky backline was less shit and then in 17/18 with better players around him Fernandinho looked a lot better.

I suspect we're back to the 16/17 situation. Weaknesses elsewhere have manifested themselves in the DM spot. I'm not convinced that had Fernandinho been playing instead of Rodri our performances would be much different.

Laporte's injury combined with Stones not particularly stepping up as of yet has had a knock on effect this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.