Pep's rebuilding job. Pep's City Mk II

Not without a transfer ban - à la Chelsea
I dont think pep will be here long enough to see a re build.
Hope I'm wrong hes the best weve ever had.
But he is very stubborn and in my opinion wrong in regards to youth.
If foden leaves city I will be really fucked off

I can see pep going end of the season sadly.

for him to turn this around it will take 2/3 seasons. No way he’s staying that long. Although I wish he would.

The club have not planned properly. Too many players too old & moving on. Some of the new buys just not good enough or worked.

we need 2 strikers, 2 midfielders, at least 3 defenders way too much to sort in one transfer window.

its shocking we still rely on Aguero, silva & fern.

what ever the reason is we find ourselves I just can’t see pep rebuilding whilst liverpool dominate for the next 3 years which they will with Klopp & that young side.

the board have taken their eye off the ball with other business ie women’s, other world clubs etc

unless the cash is splashed (even if we have it & can) I don’t see it being enough in one window. If nothing happens in January I see pep gone in the summer.

we need 2 players in jan and 3 in summer to balance the team

It all starts and ends with Pep,if he stays another 2 years he will rebuild the squad by necessity.Merlin struggled yesterday it’s awful
to see,limited game time required.There is a noticeable lack of on field leadership,maybe Laporte can step up in that direction when he returns,intensity has gone from our game,am afraid the Rags showed more hunger and desire yesterday in their cup final.Our players are looking to each other to make a spark and too many are off their form and this is where Vinny got the team switched on in the past.
There will be a cull and have a feeling Sergio may also leave at season end.We have lost a bit of direction and focus,last 2 seasons exertions have taken their toll in my opinion.
We look naïve at times as though some players think they just turn up and win the game.Big test for Pep now in what he decides to do as rebuilding a new team will be quite a big turnaround however there is maybe nobody better to do it.Feels like a marquee Messi/Mbappe signing is required to lift the talent pool as it’s a bit flat at present.Separately,I am slowly losing my love of football with the VAR debacle as it just doesn’t seem to be interpreted well enough.
I am 57 years old and never thought I would feel this way.

Currently is the word you used regarding youth . So this is his fourth season where is it, it is not on the pitch from the youth teams.
Do you see this changing in the future ?
No, why would he prefer spending money if he has an option at the club that is as good or better than the player he buys. You obviously think he would, why would he.
IMO there may be 3 or 4 that could step up in the next 3 years but I’d prefer those that see them every day decide when and how fast. Ultimately that means Txiki and Soriano not Pep as they speak to all the coaches and say yes or no to spending money. Pretty sure they won’t spend if they think the academy players are good enough and ready.

We've seemed pretty bereft of ideas in front of goal recently, so I thought I'd just check how we're doing compared to last season. And surprisingly, we're actually only one goal down on the same stage last season. To some extent this is the 8-0 masking things, because we've lost twice as many. But the main issue is that we've let in over twice as many goals (19 this season to 9 last).

It's obvious that the injuries in defence have cost us massively. There are some players that you can take out of a team and the performance of everyone around them drops too. Kompany was obviously one of them, but it's become increasingly obvious that Laporte was too. Otamendi and Stones are both defenders that can be good when they're alongside someone great, but they're not natural organizers and need a more composed CB alongside them. And as we discovered last season, the midfield looks far less effective without Fernandinho in it. Replacing him was always going to be a transition, but to have Rodri have to do the job in front of a defence that has just been gutted is an almost impossible task, even though he's looked impressive at times this season. Not to mention the ongoing LB problems, with a £50m defender's career hanging by a thread because of constant injury problems since joining us and his back up having to have surgery. We gambled that we wouldn't need extra cover for Kompany leaving, and we gambled on Mendy recovering from his injuries.

I honestly think Laporte returning will probably be enough to get us back on track, but by that point it will be too late to win the league. He might be back just in time to have a decent crack at the Champions League though. But in the summer, a left back and a centre back are a clear priority. Longer term, I think a new striker is needed, and depending on Sane, probably a new winger. We definitely don't need the huge overhaul that some are suggesting. Personally, I think Bernardo would be perfect to replace David Silva in the middle, but Pep clearly doesn't see him as a midfielder, so Christian Eriksen would be a good addition on a free. Phil Foden will continue to develop, but I'm not of the opinion that he needs to play every game at 19 years old.

Personally, I'd try and do this in the summer (in order of importance):
Chilwell for Mendy
Koulibaly or similar for Otamendi
Get Sane to sign a new contract (if not sell and bring Sancho in)
Eriksen for Silva

Any rebuild is unlikely to begin until next summer so the task in hand for Pep is to get what is still a high quality squad to produce far more than it has done so far this season.

Regardless of who needs replacing and notwithstanding key players who are approaching the end of their careers there is no logical reason for displays like yesterday, Newcastle and in particular Norwich. Just because we are out of the title race in early December that doesn't mean we throw the towel in and play like a team heading for the Europa League next season.

What I can't get my head around is that 6 months ago this team showed everyone what they were capable of. When it required grit, bottle and seeing games out (Burnley, Spurs & Brighton) they did it. When it required pure magic (Leicester), they did it. They won every game for months on end against, arguably, one of the best teams (Liverpool) the Prem has seen who also went on an amazing run. That side was phenomenal and wasn't too far off a Champs League final if we'd had slightly more luck. This is not some lucky team who sneaked a title.

What's gone wrong? I don't believe for one minute the players have lost it. No way. Players like Ederson, Walker, Laporte, KdB, D Silva, B Silva, Aguero, Zinchenko, Sterling and Fernandinho aren't bottlers and whilst a few may be injured or a few months older they are not past it either. Players like Jesus, Mehrez and Otamendi and Stones have shown they are capable and nowhere near as bad as they are playing this season. I don't believe Mendy was so poor for Monaco and neither do I believe Angelino was poor for PSV (didn't he get in the Dutch leagues team of the year?). It just doesn't add up. Even the likes of Gundogan and Rodri have played enough games in big games to show they can handle it.

The problem we have is that something has changed in the last 6 months which has killed this team. The team is being asked to do something different and for the life of me, I can't see what it is.

I think the source of the problem is the manager and he has changed something since last May which has killed us. I wonder if his desire has gone, it can happen. I wonder if he just wants a new challenge? I trust Pep to get it right and I hope he is realising that his current approach has to change. We're getting found out (fast forwards, hit on the counter) and if he doesn't change it then we're in trouble.

I honestly don't think going out and buying Koulibaly and Chilwell will solve the problems we have. It's a structural thing in the team. We're not pressing, we're not aggressive, we're not winning the first/second balls and we're standing off opponents who run at us with pace. No player is going to solve that team-problem.

I've seen enough in the last two years to last a lifetime. However, I'm totally gutted at how we've capitulated this season. I do think we've let too many legends play too much. David Silva should be a 30 minutes man now and if Foden isn't good enough to start Prem games (he was against Spurs last season from memory in a must-win game) then what's the point in keeping him? I don't think Pep rates him as much as he says myself. If Garcia and Harwood-Bellis aren't as good as an out-of-form Stones, why keep them? We must surely have a competent left back in the under-21s or whatever it's called (EDS?). We absolutely should be giving these lads a chance or if we don't think they can make it, we should let them go and use their fees to buy big in the market.

I honestly think the board need to sit down with Pep and find out what he wants to do. Has he taken us as far as he can - and he's taken us an astonishingly long way? Does he have the determination and desire to do a 5 year extension? If he has then we should hit the market and back him. I do think we need to bring in a leader. I'm no expert on world football but Koulibaly sounds a great replacement for Kompany. I'd also be interested to see what we could offer Mbappe (maybe wishful thinking). I'd like to see more pace and height in the team. We need to bring in players who WILL make a big difference. But whatever players come in, we have to have a manager with the desire to want to manage this team. I hope that's Pep.

We really need a left back and a center back. We have spent a lot of money on our left-backs but none of them have worked out. We also need to buy a striker to compete with Aguero and once he leaves, would be our main striker. The problem this season has been the lack of movement from our attackers which we saw last 2 seasons. Finally, once Silva leaves, we need to replace him as well if Pep is not keen to give Foden the midfield role now. Ofcourse, everything depends on if Pep stays here long term or not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.