Pep Guardiola - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be miles off (I often am!) but he looks and sounds like someone who won't be around next season - some short term decisions being made it looks like e.g. continuing to play Fernandinhp in defence when there are 3 CBs available (including Garcia - who he has int he past talked up a lot), refusing to use Foden more, ruling out Jan transfers (which although not necessarily down to Pep - might indicate the club keeping its powder dry so a new manager has more to play with?) - then there's the speculation around Arteta etc.

Obviously it may be nothing of the sort, but I just get the impression he's not so certain anymore about beyond this season, and I suspect a Champions League win would pretty much guarantee his departure...

I could be miles off (I often am!) but he looks and sounds like someone who won't be around next season - some short term decisions being made it looks like e.g. continuing to play Fernandinhp in defence when there are 3 CBs available (including Garcia - who he has int he past talked up a lot), refusing to use Foden more, ruling out Jan transfers (which although not necessarily down to Pep - might indicate the club keeping its powder dry so a new manager has more to play with?) - then there's the speculation around Arteta etc.

Obviously it may be nothing of the sort, but I just get the impression he's not so certain anymore about beyond this season, and I suspect a Champions League win would pretty much guarantee his departure...

I suspect he and we will be happy to win the CL this season.

Pep can't be sure whether the team will react positively if he stays for longer. He has never stayed over 4 years at a club. It maight well be the case that Pep's methods are very intensive and some players get tired over time.

Hope he stays and oversees another transition involving the replacement of Dave, Sergio, Dinho... The transition is inevitable and it won't be easy for any manager.

It was obvious that United was going to counter attack us with their pace up front which just made it all the more bizarre when we played such a high line with the defence

Leicester City game is interesting within 2 weeks. they will play on the counter using the speed of Vary and their wingers.

Will we try to play into their hands and concede 2-3 goals at least or do we surprise them tactically?

With loss of form, general loss of intensity/speed of our passing, running, play the Pep football is just not working that well now especially as we give less cover to an already fragile defence ravaged with injuries and missing leadership.

Are we doing nothing about it and keep trying to hope its gonna come back and everything is going to click in coupe of months or do we change a bit.

Imo Pep is too stubborn to be disloyal to his system that was so successful for him that he wont change and we will have quite a few more Wolves/United/Norwich type of bad games simply because Leicester for example can and is changing their way of play from when they host Norwich compared to when they visit City...
He will know our weaknesses and will try to make sure he will punish us with those. I mean even a joker Solskjaer knew where and how he can hurt us and if their shots are more accurate it would have been a bloody shit result.

From The BBC
Pep Guardiola says Manchester City "might not be able to compete" with the best teams in Europe and have to "accept that reality".

His side lost 2-1 to local rivals Manchester United in the Premier League on Saturday and trail leaders Liverpool by 14 points.

Last season, City won the domestic treble and retained the league title but have lost four games in 2019-20.

"We have to improve and accept it and move forward," said Guardiola.
"[Manchester] United have the quality to defend and the quality to attack on the counter-attack and you have to accept that," he added.

"That is the level we face against Liverpool, Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus. They are the teams we have to face and the reality is maybe we are not able now to compete with them.

"Maybe we need to live that as a club to improve, to accept the reality now and improve."

Sounds like surrender talk to me. Whether he feels it or not he should be keeping that sort of shit to himself.

Are we doing nothing about it and keep trying to hope its gonna come back and everything is going to click in coupe of months or do we change a bit.

Imo Pep is too stubborn to be disloyal to his system .

I am going to keep going with this because I know it to be so.
Pep has changed our system- Kevin referred to it in the build up to the Liverpool game.

Leicester City game is interesting within 2 weeks. they will play on the counter using the speed of Vary and their wingers.

Will we try to play into their hands and concede 2-3 goals at least or do we surprise them tactically?

With loss of form, general loss of intensity/speed of our passing, running, play the Pep football is just not working that well now especially as we give less cover to an already fragile defence ravaged with injuries and missing leadership.

Imo Pep is too stubborn to be disloyal to his system that was so successful for him that he wont change and we will have quite a few more Wolves/United/Norwich type of bad games simply because Leicester for example can and is changing their way of play from when they host Norwich compared to when they visit City...
He will know our weaknesses and will try to make sure he will punish us with those. I mean even a joker Solskjaer knew where and how he can hurt us and if their shots are more accurate it would have been a bloody shit result.

Well Pep will definitely have to take this game as a direct challenge to his style of play now - because the teams that can put 3 fast forwards on a counter have so far had the most success against us and as we know Leicester play exactly this way

I have said before, we are fortunate that their are only a handful that can play this style. the rest of the league drop deep hoping to nullify the space but in the end the usual lack of quality and concentration is their undoing

From The BBC
Pep Guardiola says Manchester City "might not be able to compete" with the best teams in Europe and have to "accept that reality".

His side lost 2-1 to local rivals Manchester United in the Premier League on Saturday and trail leaders Liverpool by 14 points.

Last season, City won the domestic treble and retained the league title but have lost four games in 2019-20.

"We have to improve and accept it and move forward," said Guardiola.
"[Manchester] United have the quality to defend and the quality to attack on the counter-attack and you have to accept that," he added.

"That is the level we face against Liverpool, Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus. They are the teams we have to face and the reality is maybe we are not able now to compete with them.

"Maybe we need to live that as a club to improve, to accept the reality now and improve."

Sounds like surrender talk to me. Whether he feels it or not he should be keeping that sort of shit to himself.

Perhaps he is talking about something which those clubs benefit from , ie VAR and decisions perhaps ? Or did that not cross your mind ? I know that you prefer a negative slant on most things when posting on BM .

Unlike me, he is not able to say that certain clubs receive help from referees / VAR decisions , for fear of being fined heavily and/or receiving a ban .

Listen , the man is a tactical genius and he will work it out.
But surely we must start with 11 v 11 .
At this moment , he has changed our system from the previous 3 seasons to accommodate 1 man and we are carrying him.

One thing is really staring him in the face and its needs addressing before we move forward.

Gained nothing whatsoever from playing our world class defensive midfielder as a CB yesterday and gained only a huge hole where our world class defensive midfielder should have been.
We keep saying this, both of us have done for weeks and weeks. He’s got to see it.

He could even play Rodri at centre half and get Fernandinho back in midfield if he doesn’t trust García yet.

Rodri’s second best performance for us was Palace away at centre half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.