Ron Saunders RIP

Old school sergent major unsuited for City.
Brought in to put players back in their place.
Worked with Villa but things had moved on.
Swales didnt have a clue about management and the modern game.
City with Swales paid the price with 25 years of mismanagement and failure plus running down of the club and assets.

If ever a manager was unsuited to City, it was Ron Saunders. His record at Villa speaks for itself but it was never going to work at City.

Why did he quit a Villa team on the way to a European Cup win?

I was certainly glad to see the back of him.

He was slightly before my time .

Any thoughts on his time at Maine Road?

6220518_Action-Images_0364748jpg-Football-Manchseter-City_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqVfz1ZO4MaW9nWMkmIpMxDxl5gEWnuaZ0dVoDbP08WCY.jpg
Looked like a pair of gangsters, nice haircut, Tony not Ron, RIP.

Probably the wrong appointment for both parties. I remember reading an interview with him somewhere, he said Swales had told him to "do it his way" which he took to mean "get tough" only for Swales to sack him for being too tough. Rather slimey of Swales though to make it look like the players had forced him to sack Saunders. Saunders went on to say that the lessons he had learnt at City helped him to be successful at Villa. Like others have said we've had far worse since, RIP.

A very young Westgorton was at Wembley in 74 with his Dad. I think he was manager then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.