Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

No it isn't. See King St. once the jewel of Manchester's centre, there are empty shops there, meanwhile the dept stores: Debenhams and House of Fraser just survive.

Retail sales are flat in the UK, but there is a massive shift from High St to the Internet underway. Online sales as a proportion of all retailing increased to 19.2% in October 2019 (source ONS).
Every time iv been in town it's been packed, admittedly I don't go in that much just for jeans etc, empty shops will be filled with new business especially with more people living in the city centre.

Every time iv been in town it's been packed, admittedly I don't go in that much just for jeans etc, empty shops will be filled with new business especially with more people living in the city centre.
That's your opinion mate but I don't agree with you. Those shops have been empty for some time on King St and that is Manchester's prime shopping area and that's during the increase in Manchester's city centre population, not in advance of it.

The High St is undergoing what has been described as structural change. Retail is declining. Every month you hear about a retail name going under, but there are no doubt some sectors that are growing. I haven't researched it but I think takeaways, bars, restaurants are moving in. Every town centre seems to have 5 nail bars and hairdressers.

As there is talk of building third tier I cant see them doing do anything to City Square as it would impinge on the area, and probably have to be removed.
Cant see them running shuttle bus's as it would conflict with present after match operators.
As for Metrolink it would be help if they at least had a tram on Station after the match and run 4 tram services on a match day, especially Saturday.
I really cant see that through the Town Hall they cannot exert some pressure on them.
So all in all except for opening a food court they are going to do jack shit.
Thanks for your info, this is not having a go at you, just trying to summarise.

I think the issue is, there are gaps between trams that have to be maintained so stopping one at the stadium stop would mess up the entire network, crazy I know but thats my best guess

Confirmed.

Manchester Metropolitan University has outlined proposals to extend the former student union building on Oxford Road into a 50,000 sq ft Institute of Sport, a project previously proposed to sit alongside Manchester City FC’s Etihad campus.

FCC75-FF5-E1-A5-4-C21-8-EDA-E7-C750804-B91.jpg

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/mmu-continues-oxford-road-campus-redevelopment/

Has the next round of consultation - provided any better insight into what the proposed arena will look like? The images so far look more like a branch of B&Q without the orange signage.

Confirmed.

Manchester Metropolitan University has outlined proposals to extend the former student union building on Oxford Road into a 50,000 sq ft Institute of Sport, a project previously proposed to sit alongside Manchester City FC’s Etihad campus.

FCC75-FF5-E1-A5-4-C21-8-EDA-E7-C750804-B91.jpg

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/mmu-continues-oxford-road-campus-redevelopment/
They have then for the low cost alternative. The old Student Uniion is quite a small building. Presumably they will just refurbish the building, The Sugden SPorts Centre is just round the corner too, and then there's the Aquatics centre. It's a very convenient location but it is small. Not transformative. I think MMU own the Platt Lane Complex too

Has the next round of consultation - provided any better insight into what the proposed arena will look like? The images so far look more like a branch of B&Q without the orange signage.
On that, the plot of land where they intend to build the arena looks small for a building that is going to hold 20k people.

That's your opinion mate but I don't agree with you. Those shops have been empty for some time on King St and that is Manchester's prime shopping area and that's during the increase in Manchester's city centre population, not in advance of it.

The High St is undergoing what has been described as structural change. Retail is declining. Every month you hear about a retail name going under, but there are no doubt some sectors that are growing. I haven't researched it but I think takeaways, bars, restaurants are moving in. Every town centre seems to have 5 nail bars and hairdressers.
King Street and St Anne’s Sq have been on their arse for years as shopping streets, it’s not simply down to a recent increase in online sales.

The rents on the units in that area are absolutely obscene, even Starbucks couldn’t afford to stay in the huge flagship unit because the rent was too high. That was one of the busiest Starbucks in the country, but they moved to a smaller unit across the way.

There’s been a huge drop off in high end retail generally as cheap disposable fashion becomes more prevalent. So high end retail like King St, St Anne’s Sq, Kendals, Harvey Nichols have been affected worse than the middle and lower end of the market.

But go on Market St, go in the Arndale, and they are absolutely slammed 7 days a week. Try going in Zara and see if you can buy anything without getting in a 10 deep queue at the till.

I’m sure the market will readjust to deal with the explosion of online sales, but to say the high street is dead is extremely premature in my view.

I actually think you might see a back lash against online fast-fashion in the near future. Millennials are overwhelmingly responsible for its popularity, but they are also the demographic most concerned about the environment, carbon footprints and exploitative labour. The trend may well move back towards high street shopping and buying quality that lasts longer.

Who saw the trend towards locally brewed IPA’s and artisan street food coming 10 years ago? Or boutique, local one-screen cinemas? There’s been a trend away from globalism. The same thing may well happen with fashion.

And the idea that high street retail is going to be replaced by food and beverage, I’m not sure that’s true either. How many chain restaurants have either gone bump or completely scaled back recently? Jamie Oliver, Prezzo, Frankie and Benny’s, Chiquito, Pizza Express, that’s just in the last 3 months off the top of my head.

It’s interesting times, but the idea that the high street’s problems are terminal, is premature in my view.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.