RIP Roy Cheetham

.....and a forward line of Pardoe, Gray, Murray, Kevan & Wagstaffe.

Those were the days..............

I was there:-

Division Two (Old)
Thu 26 December 1963.

Attendance: 26365
Team
  1. Harry Dowd
  2. Bill Leivers
  3. Cliff Sear
  4. Bobby Kennedy
  5. Alf Wood
  6. Alan Oakes
  7. Neil Young
  8. Matt Gray
  9. Jimmy Murray
  10. Derek Kevan
  11. David Wagstaffe
Goals
That was some Christmas. Two sixes and an eight, wasn't it. Rotherham twice and Scunny. Or was it the other way round?

Not many City players left from the days of my youth. RIP Mr. Cheetham. Just a little sorry we didn't send you off with a derby win!

.....and a forward line of Pardoe, Gray, Murray, Kevan & Wagstaffe.

Those were the days..............

I was there:-

Division Two (Old)
Thu 26 December 1963.

Attendance: 26365
Team
  1. Harry Dowd
  2. Bill Leivers
  3. Cliff Sear
  4. Bobby Kennedy
  5. Alf Wood
  6. Alan Oakes
  7. Neil Young
  8. Matt Gray
  9. Jimmy Murray
  10. Derek Kevan
  11. David Wagstaffe
Goals
As they used to say:

If Typhoo put the Tea in Britain
Who put the **** in S****horpe?

I was there too. Where's the bloody time gone?

Glyn Pardoe made his debut 11th April 1962 v Birmingham City as a centre forward, partnered up front by Peter Dobing and Joe Hayes, with Young and Wagstaffe on the wings.. He was a champion sprinter in his Winsford schooldays, so was pretty nippy but not, I think, a natural striker.

It was only later that he was converted to a right-footed left-back.

In the olden days, I was about 10, my Dad was friendly with Dave Shawcross, he asked Dave if he could sort a ticket for me to go and watch City. He came back with Roy Cheethams club season ticket in the main stand just a couple of rows behind the directors box. Thanks Dad, Dave and RIP Mr Cheetham.

That was some Christmas. Two sixes and an eight, wasn't it. Rotherham twice and Scunny. Or was it the other way round?

Not many City players left from the days of my youth. RIP Mr. Cheetham. Just a little sorry we didn't send you off with a derby win!

Rotherham home 6-1, Scunny home 8-1 & away 4-2. I was there for the home games & watched the reserves during the away. The weird thing about the 8-1 was that it was only 1-0 at half time with nothing to suggest there would be a goal fest in the second half.

Glyn Pardoe made his debut 11th April 1962 v Birmingham City as a centre forward, partnered up front by Peter Dobing and Joe Hayes, with Young and Wagstaffe on the wings.. He was a champion sprinter in his Winsford schooldays, so was pretty nippy but not, I think, a natural striker.

I was at that game too when City were battered 4-1 by a not very good Birmingham side. Pardoe played every position except keeper & centre half for City. IIRC he only got switched to left back when Joe & Malcolm arrived.

A member of the mid-sixties squad that I associate so much with my teenage years at Maine Road. Had the No. 4 shirt for the first third or so of season 65/66 when we ended up Winners of Division 2. Sad news. RIP, Roy.

That was also my first game midweek lost 4-1,stood over the tunnel between scoreboard end and Kippax.

Rotherham home 6-1, Scunny home 8-1 & away 4-2. I was there for the home games & watched the reserves during the away. The weird thing about the 8-1 was that it was only 1-0 at half time with nothing to suggest there would be a goal fest in the second half.
Yes the reserves latest score from the 1st team up on the scoreboard every 15 minutes no local radio them days,always remember they had all the stands open.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.