Pep's rebuilding job. Pep's City Mk II

"I don't see why he wont come good again when the pressure is off." you got it, Johnny in a nutshell, great when the pressure is off, but one problem he plays for Manchester City Football Club and the pressure is on a daily basis.
The topic is for City fans.

What we are seeing now is what we saw in 16/17. It has nothing to do with inverted wingers and lack of creativity.

Where are the data which back your point? Can you post them? Are you saying we don't create more big chances than Liverpool and Leicester?

xG models give values to any chance, from big to small. Those values are not arbitrary but based on data from thousands of football games.What yoy say is that we create many small chances which boosts our xG numbers but which does not reflect quality. But this is naive at best. Roughly speaking, the probability to score from 8 small chances and 2 big chances is the same. It's not like teams score only from big chances. And it's not like there is a team creating more big chances than City.

But but we create more chances because we take more risks! Bollocks. If you take more risks, you concede more chances. Whether you concede 8 small chances or 2 big chances doesn't matter in reality. Why do we concede more goals than Liverpool and Leicester if our xGA is comparable to theirs? Because our defenders have been poor. Kompany and Laporte were first choice for most of the run in last season. Now they are not available + Stones who has missed many weeks through injury. We are playing a 34 y.o midfielder at CB and Otamendi who has been shoking at times. Mendy/Angelino have been poor too. Zinchenko started the season in poor form as well. Cancelo is new to the league, Walker inconsistent. This is why we concede more goals than Liverpool, not because we take more risks going forward. And we have conceded only 5 goals more than Liverpool over 16 games. It's not like we concede much more goals than them.

But even if there is some truth to the opinion we commit too many players in attack, it would be different if (1) our defenders were better and didn't concede cheap goals and (2) we were more clinical. If we are not sufficiently clinical, then we will have to take risks, those risks are more significant, if our defenders are poor, etc. Pep is right, if we do better in the boxes, then those problems wouldn't exist. We went back to 16/17 in terms of our performances in both boxes. We didn't have good defenders/keeper in 16/17 and weren't sufficiently clinical. There is a reason why Pep benched Sergio when Jesus arrived. Sergio hasn't been that great this season, Jesus, Sterling, Mahrez, Bernardo have been inconsistent regarding goalscoring. We crate enough chances, but we miss too many of them compared to Liverpool (5 goals from 5 shots on target against Everton!) and Leicester/Vardy.
You've wasted your time replying because you've attempted to use a so called "statistic" that even Opta themselves label admit doesn't account for variables such as blocks, deflections and whether a player is under pressure of a defender or not. It's completely subjective as that's all the "quality" of a shot, assist or anything else can be without every variable taken into account. It's like this high bar rule of VAR, penalties given for one thing and not the other based on subjectivity.

Taken from Opta's website:
Expected goals (xG) measures the quality of a shot based on several variables such as assist type, shot angle and distance from goal, whether it was a headed shot and whether it was defined as a big chance.

Adding up a player or team’s expected goals can give us an indication of how many goals a player or team should have scored on average, given the shots they have taken

So your whole post is completely irrelevant.

You've wasted your time replying because you've attempted to use a so called "statistic" that even Opta themselves label admit doesn't account for variables such as blocks, deflections and whether a player is under pressure of a defender or not. It's completely subjective as that's all the "quality" of a shot, assist or anything else can be without every variable taken into account. It's like this high bar rule of VAR, penalties given for one thing and not the other based on subjectivity.

Taken from Opta's website:
Expected goals (xG) measures the quality of a shot based on several variables such as assist type, shot angle and distance from goal, whether it was a headed shot and whether it was defined as a big chance.

Adding up a player or team’s expected goals can give us an indication of how many goals a player or team should have scored on average, given the shots they have taken

So your whole post is completely irrelevant.

I'va wasted my time indeed and the reason is you are just daft.

Ederson
Walker koulibaly Laporte chilwell
Rodri
Kev. Bern / Foden

Sterling ,new striker , Sané / new Lw

think we need 4 new signings and about 250 mill to spend in summer if we are to compete for the league , don’t need a mass overhaul like some suggest
I think Chilwell is the weak link at Leicester and I think they’ll be getting rid for an upgrade if they really want to win the league next season. Gives the ball away too much.

Rebuild maybe but with players who we already have earmarked to replace Kompany, Silva, Kun and Fern.

We are all agreed that these players have gone, or soon will be, but what is debatable is whether we need to get the chequebook out again. We knew those players were growing old and have been planning for their departure, only it's not so easy to do. You can't just drop them all one day and hope that the new players just click straight away. Rodri is in. Foden is probably overdue. Kompany retired a year early and we opted not to replace him. We've been criticised for that but it only became the wrong decision because of a severe knee injury. If I took Van Dijk out of Liverpool or Tony Adams out of Arsenal, Rio out of Man Utd's side it would damage them too. Buying players who are good enough to play for Manchester City over the long term is not easy. I think Maguire could have done it but the cost was £85m. Had he come in, and Laporte had stayed fit, almost certainly Stones would have been unsettled. The best solution is to have an outstanding defender and young quality defenders who are able to cover when required. We could have that situation at City.

Mancini built a title winning team that won trophies under Mancini and Pellegrini.

Pep rebuilt Mancini's defence and the trophy haul continued. Now the midfield has gone and we need to rebuild again. The disagreement we have is whether the players we identified to replace Kompany, Fern, Silva and Aguero are good enough.

It aint easy but it will also cost....

As good as foden is he aint replacing the David Silva level that we are used to

Garcia and THB mighgt have potential - but hey aint Kompany by any stretch of the imagination and may never be

Rodri does look good - but can he do the job he is being asked ----midfield is wide open - its not his fault but something aint right and its different with him in there...the midfield is too spaced out - Ferna had the legs to cover the distance and as intelligent as Rodri is he looks like he is struggling in that respect and our team is
Jesus to me will never be as good as Aguero - he is a tap in merchant for the vast majoirty of his game - yes he works hard but he does not scare teams...he gets bullied off the ball....whereas Kun when younger was an imoveable object when in possession. (like Tevez)

You also dont mention the isses with the left fullbacks - neither are good enough and Mendy is fucking shockingly bad. I thought he was dodgy before the injuries but at least he contributed attacking wise back then - now he is jut plain awful....worse defensively than ever and offers nothing going forward...Angelino is just as bad -

We need a better second keeper as well - he is a calamity waiting to happen

I dont buy this Stones being unsettled by the Laporte injury - he is a professional footballer who needs to sort it out...huge potentioal but he needs to show the bollocks that Pep so famously talked about once....its that strength of charachter that gives the very best that extra couple of % - Vinnie had it, Silva has it and various others - they are leaders -Stones isnt and he needs to develop this or he will never be top of his game.

Ederson, walker, stones, laporte, cancelo, angelino, rodri, Bernardo, foden, Kdb, sterling, jesus. Are all good enough to stay as 1st teamers or squad players after this season.

Mahrez for me hasn't stepped up. Can do wonderful things but isn't consistent and doesnt suit the team ethos or system.
Mendy I hope to god he just needs to get up to match speed. A top bloke, always smiling on the pitch and we know he had quality but is it still there. Maybe he needs to start getting a bit angry?
Gundogan nice guy, lovely player but again he slows us down. Hes decent as a rodri back up but that's not what we need.
is a general but he needs more cover in front of him now. He can be too rash and eager to win the ball leaving behind him exposed or getting booked.would be class in a team without attacking full backs and 2 solid dms protecting.
Zinchenko I want to see him rotate in cm next season so we can see if he is good in his own position or even cdm which I think he would be great at. If not he needs to move.
Bravo we all know what he brings and his downfalls. Great keeper coming to an end.
Sane wish he would stay, hope he stays, but it doesnt look likely.

Ferna, david, aguero legends go when you are ready but you cant expect to start every match now.

Doyle, braaf, garcia, bellis Harwood can step up and add energy inject graft and fearlessness into the squad.

So in 18 months we only need 3/4 big players.
A cb my choice would be koulibaly as he is a defensive beast and not too young as to block the excellent prospects we have coming through. 2nd choice would be Jonathan tah.
A lb if mendy unfortunately cant regain his qualities. No one is jumping out apart from chilwell.
A winger/forward. Kun unfortunately is getting older and less sharp. Sane looks like he wants to leave as well. 2 massive players. We either go all out for mbappe who covers both spots and bring/hope braaf steps up next year or replace with 2 similar players. Sancho, werner, bailey any 2 of would again make us more fluid than mahrez and kun in the team next year.

Ederson
walker koulibaly laporte chilwell
Rodri Kdb Bernardo
Sterling jesus mbappe

Ederson
Walker tah laporte chilwell
Rodri Kdb bernado
Sancho/bailey werner sterling

Cancelo, stones, angelino, foden, doyle, braaf, garcia, bellis Harwood.

Sorry for long post haha

Ederson, walker, stones, laporte, cancelo, angelino, rodri, Bernardo, foden, Kdb, sterling, jesus. Are all good enough to stay as 1st teamers or squad players after this season.

Mahrez for me hasn't stepped up. Can do wonderful things but isn't consistent and doesnt suit the team ethos or system.
Mendy I hope to god he just needs to get up to match speed. A top bloke, always smiling on the pitch and we know he had quality but is it still there. Maybe he needs to start getting a bit angry?
Gundogan nice guy, lovely player but again he slows us down. Hes decent as a rodri back up but that's not what we need.
is a general but he needs more cover in front of him now. He can be too rash and eager to win the ball leaving behind him exposed or getting booked.would be class in a team without attacking full backs and 2 solid dms protecting.
Zinchenko I want to see him rotate in cm next season so we can see if he is good in his own position or even cdm which I think he would be great at. If not he needs to move.
Bravo we all know what he brings and his downfalls. Great keeper coming to an end.
Sane wish he would stay, hope he stays, but it doesnt look likely.

Ferna, david, aguero legends go when you are ready but you cant expect to start every match now.

Doyle, braaf, garcia, bellis Harwood can step up and add energy inject graft and fearlessness into the squad.

So in 18 months we only need 3/4 big players.
A cb my choice would be koulibaly as he is a defensive beast and not too young as to block the excellent prospects we have coming through. 2nd choice would be Jonathan tah.
A lb if mendy unfortunately cant regain his qualities. No one is jumping out apart from chilwell.
A winger/forward. Kun unfortunately is getting older and less sharp. Sane looks like he wants to leave as well. 2 massive players. We either go all out for mbappe who covers both spots and bring/hope braaf steps up next year or replace with 2 similar players. Sancho, werner, bailey any 2 of would again make us more fluid than mahrez and kun in the team next year.

Ederson
walker koulibaly laporte chilwell
Rodri Kdb Bernardo
Sterling jesus mbappe

Ederson
Walker tah laporte chilwell
Rodri Kdb bernado
Sancho/bailey werner sterling

Cancelo, stones, angelino, foden, doyle, braaf, garcia, bellis Harwood.

Sorry for long post haha

Your first part is ok, but when people start scouting and signing players , then putting them in a formation, it is just an indulgence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.